New Member Introductions thread
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #14,598 of 15,567
Hey there, glad to be here. Been in the headphones hobby since 2019ish. Had a good number of cans so far, starting out with the ATH-M50x, then the Beyer 770i, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD 650 and now the Hifiman Arya Stealth.
Excellent route, you've now got the bug - it's hard to shake!

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #14,599 of 15,567
Hello Brave Souls!

While I’m not strictly new to Head-Fi, it has been so long since I’ve been active on here that I might as well reintroduce myself.

I have been an audio enthusiast since I was in the 10th grade, working odd jobs and mowing lawns until I could afford a Sennheiser HD650 and a MaxiMoy (anybody remember those?). I was hooked and continue to derive enjoyment from this hobby.

I own far, far too many pairs of headphones, whose continued ownership I justify by telling myself they all sound sufficiently different. My current three favorite over the ear headphones are my Dan Clark Expanses (love the resolution on this one, though my poor Schiit Lyr has nearly baked itself trying to drive them at higher levels), my Beyerdynamic T1 v2 (love the way vocals sound on this), and my Fostex TH-900s, which are just plain fun. EQ that one up, and you can rattle your noggin something fierce!

As far as IEMs go, I’m still getting used to them. I have the Empire Ears Odin, which has a sound signature that might be a little bright? Could just be the source, I’m using an Astell&Kern SP3000, which does not have a reputation for sharp treble from what I understand. I also have a pair of Campfire Audio Trifectas, which to my ear sound delightfully analog. Nice and warm, with a thunderous sub and mid bass. They are NOT even close to neutral, but I have other pairs for that. They most remind me of my speaker setup, which is a pair of Infinity Kappa 9s, bi-amped by a Yamaha MX-1000 on the mids and highs, and a Sunfire Signature Stereo Amplifier on the lows. They are fed by a Sunfire Tube preamp, which is a sweet sounding unit. I would use them more often, but I have since moved to a zero lot-line community and need to be respectful of my neighbors. I doubt anybody wants to hear Tom Petty’s Nightwatchman at 102db at 1:37 in the morning.

I’m also just getting into the wonderful world of tubes. I enjoy what they do for my speakers, but was skeptical that they‘d make such a big difference in my headphones. Boy, was I wrong. I bought a Schiit Lyr in February and loved it immediately. I put a 1940s NOS Sylvania 6SN7GT into it, and it was as if every note that came out of my amp was coated in liquid velvet. So, considering that I should go hard or go home, about a month and a half later I ordered a Woo Audio WA5-LE, and bought some upgraded tubes for it. I purchased a pair of newly manufactured WE 300b tubes, a pair of Sophia Electric 274b rectifiers, and a pair of NOS RCA 5692 6SN7 tubes. While I’m probably lying to myself, I am hoping that this will cure the search for audio nirvana, at least for a nice long period of time.

I look forward to chatting with you all!

Cheers,
trekker140

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #14,600 of 15,567
Hello Brave Souls!

While I’m not strictly new to Head-Fi, it has been so long since I’ve been active on here that I might as well reintroduce myself.

I have been an audio enthusiast since I was in the 10th grade, working odd jobs and mowing lawns until I could afford a Sennheiser HD650 and a MaxiMoy (anybody remember those?). I was hooked and continue to derive enjoyment from this hobby.

I own far, far too many pairs of headphones, whose continued ownership I justify by telling myself they all sound sufficiently different. My current three favorite over the ear headphones are my Dan Clark Expanses (love the resolution on this one, though my poor Schiit Lyr has nearly baked itself trying to drive them at higher levels), my Beyerdynamic T1 v2 (love the way vocals sound on this), and my Fostex TH-900s, which are just plain fun. EQ that one up, and you can rattle your noggin something fierce!

As far as IEMs go, I’m still getting used to them. I have the Empire Ears Odin, which has a sound signature that might be a little bright? Could just be the source, I’m using an Astell&Kern SP3000, which does not have a reputation for sharp treble from what I understand. I also have a pair of Campfire Audio Trifectas, which to my ear sound delightfully analog. Nice and warm, with a thunderous sub and mid bass. They are NOT even close to neutral, but I have other pairs for that. They most remind me of my speaker setup, which is a pair of Infinity Kappa 9s, bi-amped by a Yamaha MX-1000 on the mids and highs, and a Sunfire Signature Stereo Amplifier on the lows. They are fed by a Sunfire Tube preamp, which is a sweet sounding unit. I would use them more often, but I have since moved to a zero lot-line community and need to be respectful of my neighbors. I doubt anybody wants to hear Tom Petty’s Nightwatchman at 102db at 1:37 in the morning.

I’m also just getting into the wonderful world of tubes. I enjoy what they do for my speakers, but was skeptical that they‘d make such a big difference in my headphones. Boy, was I wrong. I bought a Schiit Lyr in February and loved it immediately. I put a 1940s NOS Sylvania 6SN7GT into it, and it was as if every note that came out of my amp was coated in liquid velvet. So, considering that I should go hard or go home, about a month and a half later I ordered a Woo Audio WA5-LE, and bought some upgraded tubes for it. I purchased a pair of newly manufactured WE 300b tubes, a pair of Sophia Electric 274b rectifiers, and a pair of NOS RCA 5692 6SN7 tubes. While I’m probably lying to myself, I am hoping that this will cure the search for audio nirvana, at least for a nice long period of time.

I look forward to chatting with you all!

Cheers,
trekker140
Lots of money those tubes!

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #14,601 of 15,567
Lots of money those tubes!
I certainly hope they are worth it. Based on the albeit limited reading I’ve done, they will probably be up my alley in terms of their sound signature. If not, that’s what eBay is for lol

May 2, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #14,602 of 15,567
Hi All,

I'm new to here as well, but might have been a member years ago with different computer.
My Sennheiser HD590 j( 120 Ohms) just lost the right channel, I replaced the cable with an Audio technica HP SC cable with the right connectors, both channels work fine but lost some highs and definition, It seems strange for that to happen..
Cheers,
Ott.

May 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #14,603 of 15,567
Hi All,

I'm new to here as well, but might have been a member years ago with different computer.
My Sennheiser HD590 j( 120 Ohms) just lost the right channel, I replaced the cable with an Audio technica HP SC cable with the right connectors, both channels work fine but lost some highs and definition, It seems strange for that to happen..
Cheers,
Ott.
Opening the cables do/don't matter could be dangerous!

May 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #14,605 of 15,567
Hi! I'm new here. I too am a headphone addict. I'm getting some large open-back planars shipped and hope to have them in a couple days. Looking at better amps to drive them now. Just wanted to say hello.
Which make and model? We should create a group called HA, Headphones Anonymous.

May 2, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #14,607 of 15,567
Which make and model? We should create a group called HA, Headphones Anonymous.
Monoprice 1570. I'm currently switching between my Philips Fidelio X3's and Audeze Mobius depending on what I'm doing. I have ATH-M50's that I purchased several decades back that are still in great condition. For travel I use my Sennheiser Momentum 2's since they fold up well. So an open-back planar will round-out my use-cases.

May 2, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #14,608 of 15,567
Greetings and Hellos,

I grew up with audiophile parents and grandparents who passed the bug along to me. I can play multiple instruments, most not very well, and frequent live metal, Baroque orchestra and chamber choir performances, so I have a good idea of how music "should" sound.
I've always had a decent set of headphones and speakers throughout my life, but didn't really go too far down the rabbit hole until a few years ago. Now, I have a fairly extensive and ever-expanding collection of iems, earbuds and headphones.
Planning to do the occasional review when I find something worth the effort, and hope to get to know the community here.

May 2, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #14,609 of 15,567
Hey all, I’m also a recent devotee 🎧
6 months ago I stared at the 1/4” connector that came with my DT 990s not knowing what to do. Now I’m wondering if I need a R2R DAC 😅

May 2, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #14,610 of 15,567
Hey all, I’m also a recent devotee 🎧
6 months ago I stared at the 1/4” connector that came with my DT 990s not knowing what to do. Now I’m wondering if I need a R2R DAC 😅
Welcome! DT990s are a solid pair of headphones that take amplification exceptionally well. But you're right, this can be a dangerous hobby for one's wallet. However, it's all in service of one of life's great pleasures: music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back