New Member Introductions thread
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #12,932 of 15,579
Got the headphones (HD650, Ananda, AT WP900, Grado Hemp etc), got the dacs (RME ADI-2, Mojo) but the source, predominantly streaming, is where I'm struggling. It was easy when it was simply CD's. Buy a half decent CD player, attach it to a half decent amp and away you go. Now its all Bits, KHz, FLAC, DSD, MQA, Streamers, Pi's, Roon, Volumio, Audirvana etc, etc, etc :triportsad:
Apple Music now provide high resolution at the standard price. I've kept it simple and stuck to that (after also going overboard with file types etc.)

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #12,935 of 15,579
Hi Guys and gals,

Long time lurker, but finally took the plunge and joined up.

Way off being an audiophile just like listening to my music with equipment that makes it sound good to my ears.

I have a large local library and also stream via Tidal (Hi-Fi) and Amazon HD.

I use the Astell & Kern SR25 with the ifi hip-dac.

I have progressively spent more on headphones rather than invest in a new DAP. Started with the Sony WF1000XM3, then grabbed the Sony MDR-1AM2 then, after reading a few reviews and tips on here, invested in the Sennheiser HD660S (tried the HD599S but did not get on with them).

I also own a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4 but use these mainly when at my workstation.

After buying the HD660S, I coupled them with the SR-25/hip-dac and found out how wonderful music sounded. What a difference that blue beast made to the 660's.

Looking forward to learning more on my musical journey with you guys and maybe upgrading my SR-25 if I ever feel the need and, with your help, to the right bit of kit.

Kind regards and many thanks so far for the tips,
Daren

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #12,936 of 15,579
Hi! I've come back to these forums from time to time and have even made a few posts but I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm mostly interested in high quality portable audio for listening on the go or on runs. I started off wits iPods many years ago and stuck with using smartphones for music until I recently bought a Plenue D3 and then NW-A105. Eventually I'll upgrade as prices go down.

For headphones I mainly use the DT 770 pro 250 ohm for when I'm at home and KZ ZSN Pro X when I'm out. Still new to all of this so will gradually upgrade.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #12,938 of 15,579
Hey everyone, just joined and new to headphone listening, been reading some threads here for a while and they led to a couple purchases that I'm very happy with, so thanks!

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #12,939 of 15,579
Hey everyone, just joined and new to headphone listening, been reading some threads here for a while and they led to a couple purchases that I'm very happy with, so thanks!
We've all made purchases here from other folks insight and impressions. Welcome!

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #12,940 of 15,579
We've all made purchases here from other folks insight and impressions. Welcome!
Thanks. As with other audio sites/forums, lots of good information and good community of like minded folks.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #12,941 of 15,579
Hello all audiophiles! I have been stalking here for quite a few years on a irregular basis and now thought it was finally time to introduce myself. I am a Finn living in Switzerland, finding new cool music and high fidelity sound used to be my true passions but having two kids that have kept me busy better part of the last decade. I have Audeze LCD-3 cans that have mostly been collecting dust last 5 years and then a number of various Bose and Sony gear. I prefer the analogical sound and I have a decent enough turntable and the amp but that said, my box of vinyl albums has been collecting dust alongside my LCD-3s.. Looking forward to rediscover my passion now that I have some idle time available.
Bottlehead.com has some DIY tube phono stages and Headphone Amp that can help you revive your enjoyment of Vinyl again

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #12,943 of 15,579
Yes Bottlehead has been around a long time with a good reputation, located just an hour+ north of me. I've been there and heard their demonstration system many years ago and was impressed. Probably changed a lot since then, maybe sounding even better!

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #12,945 of 15,579
Yes, you're right. A good quality source is where my problems lie. But that's the bit that really confuses me.
Apple Music is very good on lossless and hi res at the moment and is reasonably priced in my opinion. Qobuz is another good option and depending on the tier you get discounts on purchases too. Pro studio masters is a good site for finding a range of formats, they have dsd and MQA as well as regular PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back