New Member Introductions thread
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #12,526 of 15,646
I’m enjoying my AKG Q701s but neither my amp nor my headphone amp have tone controls. I don’t consider myself a purist and would rather be able to tweak some recordings, so I’ve ordered a Schiit Loki Mini+.

Others have mentioned their equipment (I always love hearing what other people are using). This is my current two-channel set-up:

Rega P3 TT
Rega Exact cartridge
Schiit Mani phono stage
Music Hall 25.2 headphone preamp
Marantz CD6006 cdp
Yaqin MC-13S tube amp
Panamax 5300 power conditioner
Klipsch RP-8000F speakers
Monitor Audio 10” sub (due to room acoustics I find a bit of extra bass is needed, though it doesn’t happen often as I’m in an apartment for the time being. Hence the headphones!)

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #12,527 of 15,646
Hi,

I'm part of the huge influx of Covid-inspired head-fi fans. I started to look into headphones about a year ago and went through a rapid (and costly) evolution as I learned more and more. My first purchase was a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC and Lyr 3 amp, along with a ZMF Verite Open. While I was waiting for the Verite to be built, I bought a Focal Stellia so that I could use the new Schiit gear.

Changing the tube in my Lyr 3 was eye-opening, and made me want to learn more about tubes, so I asked ZMF if they could add a Pendant to my order. I loved the Pendant so much that I wanted to try more tube amps, and recently bought an ampsandsound Nautilus. Even though they're made by the same company, the Nautilus has a much more "natural" sound than the Pendant.

I absolutely love my current setup, but I was still curious about whether it could be improved by changing the DAC. I was lucky enough to borrow a Schiit Yggy last week, and was amazed at the difference in sound between the Bifrost 2 (which was so good that I doubted it could be improved upon) and the Yggy (which is even better IMO, with blacker blacks and even more detail). So now, hopefully my final purchase (please stop laughing) will be an Yggy or equivalent quality DAC. At that point, I should be done buying things for a while (I can see that smirk on your face).

I actually lied about not buying anything else. I was also curious about Roon, and am in the middle of a project to build a PI2AES and NUC to stream Roon on my network.

I realize the addictive part of our hobby causes us to keep trying to squeeze that extra 1% of quality of the sound, so I have to keep reminding myself that I am still content listening to my original setup of Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3, and it is the music that's important.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #12,528 of 15,646
Hi,

I'm part of the huge influx of Covid-inspired head-fi fans. I started to look into headphones about a year ago and went through a rapid (and costly) evolution as I learned more and more. My first purchase was a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC and Lyr 3 amp, along with a ZMF Verite Open. While I was waiting for the Verite to be built, I bought a Focal Stellia so that I could use the new Schiit gear.

Changing the tube in my Lyr 3 was eye-opening, and made me want to learn more about tubes, so I asked ZMF if they could add a Pendant to my order. I loved the Pendant so much that I wanted to try more tube amps, and recently bought an ampsandsound Nautilus. Even though they're made by the same company, the Nautilus has a much more "natural" sound than the Pendant.

I absolutely love my current setup, but I was still curious about whether it could be improved by changing the DAC. I was lucky enough to borrow a Schiit Yggy last week, and was amazed at the difference in sound between the Bifrost 2 (which was so good that I doubted it could be improved upon) and the Yggy (which is even better IMO, with blacker blacks and even more detail). So now, hopefully my final purchase (please stop laughing) will be an Yggy or equivalent quality DAC. At that point, I should be done buying things for a while (I can see that smirk on your face).

I actually lied about not buying anything else. I was also curious about Roon, and am in the middle of a project to build a PI2AES and NUC to stream Roon on my network.

I realize the addictive part of our hobby causes us to keep trying to squeeze that extra 1% of quality of the sound, so I have to keep reminding myself that I am still content listening to my original setup of Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3, and it is the music that's important.
just like modifying cars, computers, or any other hobby... its never done until your wallet says it is.... lol

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #12,529 of 15,646
Hello,

As @sluice, I been lurking around for some time, but actually just recently joined!

My current setup includes a lot of low / mid-fi dacs, like EL DAC (v1), iFi iDac2, Audio Engine D1, etc.

I mostly listen while working but not limited to! through my iLoud MM desktop speakers and my trusty HD600 with a Rupert Neve Headphone amp which I like a lot!

My main source is a gaming PC and also enjoy an HD 560 which I mostly use with my digital piano (Roland LX-706) and while gaming!

By other hand, I also own an RME ADI-2 DAC (v2) which I don't like that much he-he, but that's another history :smile:

My current DAC is a Crane Song avocet IIa (quantum dac), actually loaned as I am currently looking to upgrade / replace my RME as my main DAC.
The RNHP is really an amazing amp for the pricepoint!

Had that amp through my mid to hi fi transition!

Used it with my (when I had those) 6XX, Elex, HD800s.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #12,530 of 15,646
Hi Everyone!

My name is Alexandre, 29yo, from France!

I started my hifi journey almost a year ago, with a simple Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and a Fiio E10K. I ordered the Fiio simply because I wanted to be able to adjust my computer sound with a knob. I was like "it's just an headphone amp, can't be that good". 5 min later, I was blown away.

Now I've go an HD800S, a Focal Clear, Topping E30 and L30 ( don't worry, the updated and safe version :D ), and I'm actually looking for a better amp/dac combo!

Sound got bigger, wallet get thinner :)

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #12,531 of 15,646
Hello everyone, I have registered for two months, but forgot to introduce myself here. But I am not new to this forum just lurking, and I learnt a lot in posts and really helped forming my decisions on which gears to buy. This forum really has lots of valuable information, just hope there could be some places to distill those knowledge, but that sounds just hard enough.

May 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #12,532 of 15,646
Hi all,
Brad here. Been lurking for years, but decided to start interacting more. I am becoming more active in my headphone quest and will be soaking up the wealth of info in these forums. I have a Grado Hemp and Klipsch HP-3 now, but looking forward to testing out a wide array of cans in the future.

May 2, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #12,533 of 15,646
Hi all,

Me is called Dennis and I'm an audio junky.
Love to turn the knobs and make lots of noise!
For those who care I use sennheiser HD660s (previous HD650, K700), Asus essence one (Previous stx-ii, stx, auzentech bravura), Alesis M1 active mk2 + Visaton T25.

May 3, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #12,534 of 15,646
Hi all,
I've been lurking for years, but finally decided to become more active here. I love listening with headphones, and currently, I am limited to headphones only, no stereo system.
My current setup is Meze Empyrean and HiFiMan Ananda plugged into Chord Hugo2. But it's been a long journey to get to this point :wink:
Now I'm thinking about getting TT2 instead of Hugo2

May 3, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #12,535 of 15,646
Greetings from the PNW of the USA. Justin here. Started dipping my toes into higher level audio a few years ago and in the last several months started delving further into hi-fi. Mostly headphones and near field listening. Started out with a Hidiz AP and Shure SE215's. Added a PS Audio Sprout, Grado SR225e's, Music Hall turntable with upgraded Nagaoka MP 110 cartridge, Martin Logan Grotto sub, and some older Mission bookshelf speakers.

The DIY bug has bitten me and I just "built" a pair of Mark Audio Tozzi One near field speakers and added a Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio. Now onto a Pete Millet NuHybrid headphone amp as my first diy amp build. If all goes well plans include an Amp Camp Amp and a diy electrostatic headphone amp and... Lol.

Looking forward to learning and contributing. Cheers.

May 3, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #12,536 of 15,646
Hi all from Spain. I´ve always enjoyed listening to music, but never cared much about the hardware I used. I recently got my hands on a cheap DAC (this) which improved my experience a lot as I was using the built-in sound card of my computer. I use AKG K92 which are nice, but I'm starting to notice that hole on my head where the headphones rest, and my hair is weaker in that area. So I come here to learn about IEMs and stuff in general, will be reading you guys!

May 3, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #12,537 of 15,646
Hi all from Spain. I´ve always enjoyed listening to music, but never cared much about the hardware I used. I recently got my hands on a cheap DAC (this) which improved my experience a lot as I was using the built-in sound card of my computer. I use AKG K92 which are nice, but I'm starting to notice that hole on my head where the headphones rest, and my hair is weaker in that area. So I come here to learn about IEMs and stuff in general, will be reading you guys!
Te recomiendo, en primer lugar, una de las mejores páginas de análisis de auriculares: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/ Es muy técnica, pero los análisis son muy exhaustivos. En cuanto a DACs para ordenadores, yo estoy muy contento con el SMSL SU-8 (https://hifigo.com/collections/s-m-...2-32bit-768khz-dsd512-dac-usb-optical-coaxial). Lo compré por unos 200 euros en Amazon porque las características eran buenas y tenía salida balanceada XLR. Ha sido un acierto. Lo tengo conectado a un par de Focal Shape 40 y a un ampli de auriculares con válvulas igualmente chino, el XDuoo TA-20, otro acierto (https://hifigo.com/collections/xduo...assical-12au7-tube-stereo-audio-headphone-amp). También DACs similares que integran el ampli de auriculares... El AKG92 es cojonudo...
Otra posibilidad es usar como DAC un reproductor portátil buenecito. Yo tengo el FiiO M5 y lo suelo usar cuando utilizo el portátil fuera de casa.

May 3, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #12,538 of 15,646
Te recomiendo, en primer lugar, una de las mejores páginas de análisis de auriculares: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/ Es muy técnica, pero los análisis son muy exhaustivos. En cuanto a DACs para ordenadores, yo estoy muy contento con el SMSL SU-8 (https://hifigo.com/collections/s-m-...2-32bit-768khz-dsd512-dac-usb-optical-coaxial). Lo compré por unos 200 euros en Amazon porque las características eran buenas y tenía salida balanceada XLR. Ha sido un acierto. Lo tengo conectado a un par de Focal Shape 40 y a un ampli de auriculares con válvulas igualmente chino, el XDuoo TA-20, otro acierto (https://hifigo.com/collections/xduo...assical-12au7-tube-stereo-audio-headphone-amp). También DACs similares que integran el ampli de auriculares... El AKG92 es cojonudo...
Otra posibilidad es usar como DAC un reproductor portátil buenecito. Yo tengo el FiiO M5 y lo suelo usar cuando utilizo el portátil fuera de casa.
La verdad me he estado planteando cogerme un FiiO M6 o un Sony NWA55L, ya que puede usarse como DAC y aunque no salgo mucho de casa (con esto del teletrabajo ya sabes) para el coche también me podría venir bien ya que tiene entrada jack. Lo que no tengo muy claro es si habrá una diferencia muy sustancial entre los 150 euros del FiiO y 150 euros gastados en un dac "normal". Me gustaria saber tu opinion a ver si me animo. Gracias por las recomendaciones, saludos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back