New Member Introductions thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #12,301 of 15,539
Just joined, I've been an IEM guy for over a decade and I've been spending a lot more time with music lately. There's a point when having something IN your ear gets to be too much so I've started looking for the right headphones. I had no idea it would take so many iterations to find what I'm looking for. Lots of fun, but expensive!

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #12,304 of 15,539
Hey everyone, I joined this forum I'm interested in DAPs because I can't stand using a phone for music, I want something dedicated to music like in the good old times when I had an ipad. Unfortunately now that Steve Jobs is dead there are only bad options in the mainstream players so I'm thinking about buying a DAP in the $600-$900 range.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #12,305 of 15,539
Hey everyone, I joined this forum I'm interested in DAPs because I can't stand using a phone for music, I want something dedicated to music like in the good old times when I had an ipad. Unfortunately now that Steve Jobs is dead there are only bad options in the mainstream players so I'm thinking about buying a DAP in the $600-$900 range.
The 2 I can recommend is way below your budget and are great performers. They are the iBasso DX160 and the Fiio M11. The iBasso is more warm sounding, better screen, but only has 1 SDcard slot, doesn't have a 2.5mm balanced out, and it is slower. The Fiio M11 has 2 SDcard slots, bigger screen but not as colorful as the DX160, faster overall, and a little more dry or analytical sound, has a 3.5mm, 4.4mm, and 2.5mm jacks. Even stepping up to the $600-$900 range you wouldn't be gaining much over these 2 unless you went over budget and got the M15 or iBasso DX300.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #12,306 of 15,539
👋 Have been lurking in various audio forums for some time. Figured it’s about time to jump down this rabbit hole.
You've definitely picked the right forum and hobby to get lost in...and broke. Started my journey years ago with an iPod classic and a pair of Sony MDR-V6's. Haven't went too extravagant or expensive yet, but $300 here and $300 there adds up quick!
Good Luck!

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #12,307 of 15,539
Just joined, I've been an IEM guy for over a decade and I've been spending a lot more time with music lately. There's a point when having something IN your ear gets to be too much so I've started looking for the right headphones. I had no idea it would take so many iterations to find what I'm looking for. Lots of fun, but expensive!
Depends on your musical taste. Not only the style of music, but how you like to hear your music. Do you like warmer and gentler, like sitting on a beach sipping margaritas. If so, the Meze 99 Classics or Neo's are a great affordable choice. If you prefer your music to be hard attacking like 4x4'ing over a rocky terrain with no suspension, then Audio Technica ATH-M50X's are the way to go. Both sound great, but deliver the same music in a different way.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #12,308 of 15,539
Hi there! My acc isn´t entirely new but this is my first post anywhere on the forum. I joined because of how much information and knowledge that can be found here.
You're absolutely right there! You can watch videos and read "sponsored" reviews all day until your eyes hurt, but I trust the reviews on these forums more than anything. Everybody on here seems to know what they are talking about and are generally nice and very helpful.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #12,309 of 15,539
Hii I'm new here and new to audiophile stuff but I've always loved music and am excited to hear super high quality stuff and learn so much! 😊
If you're like me, the term audiophile really doesn't apply too well. I love music, love hearing all the minute details of the recording, and love listening with great gear. However, I do not sit and pick apart songs or the gear. I did that at one time and it felt more like a job listening to music than a hobby, not fun.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #12,310 of 15,539
The 2 I can recommend is way below your budget and are great performers. They are the iBasso DX160 and the Fiio M11. The iBasso is more warm sounding, better screen, but only has 1 SDcard slot, doesn't have a 2.5mm balanced out, and it is slower. The Fiio M11 has 2 SDcard slots, bigger screen but not as colorful as the DX160, faster overall, and a little more dry or analytical sound, has a 3.5mm, 4.4mm, and 2.5mm jacks. Even stepping up to the $600-$900 range you wouldn't be gaining much over these 2 unless you went over budget and got the M15 or iBasso DX300.

Do you mean that there is a bigger difference in quality between the M15 and the M11 Pro (or between the iBasso DX300 and the iBasso DX220), than there is between the M11 and the m11 pro (or between the DX220 and the DX160)?

If yes, can you elaborate? I'm quite new to this DAP scene. What I know is the M11 Pro has excellent reviews, seems like it has the best price/quality ratio, and yes there is the M11 that's cheaper but it has not as good reviews and is probably more laggy due to lack of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back