New Member Introductions thread
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #12,121 of 15,534
Hi, You can call me sky :wink: . I'm electronic nerds computer build and DIY, fix or replace whatever is damage. I like neat things don't need to be expensive. Yes I have DT 770 Pro 80 ohms Open back build from 250 ohms cans that was donated to me. I like bass but not booming and it sounds fantastic.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #12,122 of 15,534
Hello to everyone here and mostly thank you for letting me in, I'm a big fan of music, audio gear and this site of course.. My name is Lukáš (call me just Luke or like you want) and I'm 27 years old, born and raised in middle Europe in Czech Republic.. I'm not an audiophile but I love my portables, mostly headphones and daps (I'm pretty new in amp or external dac's) .. Most of my collection is from budget ratio, just because I don't have that big wage to buy something higher prized.. My beautiful girlfriend and little dog need money for day to day living more than my hobby, but still when I have some extra 100$ in my pocket I spend it for new pair of headphones or some other gear.. Most important I don't think I want in the future spend crazy amount of money for some magnetopla... etc etc.. when it's good and affordable I'm in love with it, if it's not it's not for my at this time and still I love my hobby.. So thank you guy's for letting me in here, it's pleasure..

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #12,124 of 15,534
Greetings audio fans, I’ve been steered this way from other audio sites that consider Head-Fi the end all for headphone information. Most of my listening is while at work via Spotify -> iMac -> Sennheiser HD 25-1 II 70 ohm (meh, work headphones), but my preferred listening would be my records into my vintage amps and Bozaks. I play guitar (horribly), but mention it because it’s where I learned an appreciation for tubes. I can’t turn up the speakers as often as I’d like and have decided to replace my last pair of “better” headphones that I bought I guess 20 years ago!? but quit working a decade back. Anyway, hello. It’s nice to be here.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #12,127 of 15,534
Hi this is my intro. A good few years back (around 2010 I think) I purchased Audiotechnica AD900s, using them just with my iphone with mostly itunes and spotify (no AMP or Dac) and thought they were awesome. They were my first decent headphones.

Well recently after research decided to go up a little and purchased HD-660s with the ifi Hip Amp/ Dac. Received them today. Tried the HD-660s straight into the phone and thought OK, a little different from the AD900s but Ok. Then charged up the little Hip dac/amp combo and plugged it in. Oh my!!! My ears. What have I been missing. Listening to my old favs Bill Evans, Miles Davis and even Taylor Swift's Folklore. What a staggering difference with both the HD-660s and AD900s. Then I put on some classical (Bach, Mahler symphony), just glorious. I'm a convert. I just had no idea the difference a Dac/Amp would make and this is even before doing anything like lossless. I 've changed my spotify setting to highest quality. Going to plug it into the PC soon and listen to some of my FLAC material I have ripped from my CDs.

Also enjoying the differences I'm hearing between the AD900s and the HD-660s: HD-660s I guess need some time to warm up and burn in?

A question: so say I invested in even better Dac/Amp combo would the HD-660s scale and improve even further. This is from a home set up say with Tidal and/or Flac files on my PC and laptop. The Hip Dac will be great for work (can use the open backs in my office).

Just need something closed for commutes I can combine with the Hip Dac. Any recommendations on that? Don't want to invest too much as most of my listening will be at home.

OK I think this audiophile thing has bitten me now. What an incredible difference. Kicking myself I didn't invest in the Amp/Dac for the AD900s years ago, just a few hundred and what a difference!

My music tastes tend towards Jazz and Classical, but I also like indie folk, blues, and a lot of other stuff. Jazz likely my favorite but have quite wide tastes in music.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #12,128 of 15,534
Hi I'm trying to get into my first pair of gaming headphones and if coarse trying to get some of the best ones. I had bought a pair of arctis pro wireless and should be arriving in a day or two. I got them new off ebay for 240. I just found out about the audeze penrose ones. Are they that much better. Should I get those and try to resell mine on the local page for what I paid before opening them which hopefully won't be too hard since its a hundred off cost. I'm seeing alot of connection issues. I currently I use have ps5. Will maybe get xbox x in year or two but not guaranteed. I would rather the blue ones than green. And they have already said they will be selling the xbox dongle next month. Supposed to just keep pairing the headphones to new dongle any time you switch. What should I do.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #12,132 of 15,534
het all! ive joined as ive heard he community her is super helpful and the trading forums are reliable and fair safe compared to other places :) cant wait to dive right in to the IEM market!

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #12,133 of 15,534
Hi there! Long time lurker, but after a recent investment in my curent favorite hobby I figured I'd say hello and start participating in the forums a bit more.

I'll blame COVID for this, but being stuck working at home for the last 9 months found me upgrading my desktop audio system, which then led to the inevitable slide down the headphone rabbit hole. I started with a pair of Aeon 2 closed (figuring I could use them at work - hah!), then with the need for better amplification I bought an Asgard3 with the Multibit DAC. These sounded really good, but then being stuck at home I figured I'd give some open cans a try. This lead to a pair of Drop 6XX's, and after many hours on forums it seemed only fitting that I buy and build a Bottlehead Crack. What a combination! This was the first "mind blow" of my listening experience. The depth and clarity sounded truly amazing, revealing new details in songs I've been listened to for years.

At some point I realized my behavior wasn't going to lead to anything good for my finances, so I made the bold (foolish?) decision to skip 4 or 5 intermediate headphones and go right for the throat. Today I received a very lightly used pair of ZMF Verite's in Silkwood, purchased from a member of another forum. Honestly I've only listened to them for about an hour, but was able to try them on both the Crack and a Drop AAA 789. It's too early to use supurlatives, but my first impressions were incredibly positive. What surprised me was how much detail and punch I heard using the AAA 789. There were a couple of songs that sounded almost supernaturally good... something I've heard described in other ways from other ZMF owners.

So I've got a lot of listening to do, and I'm hoping to use these forums to discuss what I hear - and what I should be listening for. I'm looking forward to the conversation!
I am looking forward to joining the ZMF family. I was going to start with the Aeolus but then thought why not spend a bit more and go for the Auteur? UGH...or do I go straight for the Verite? I would love to hear other members' recommendations on the subject!

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #12,134 of 15,534
Hey gang, completely forgot to post here. Been in the hobby on a lower end (6xx and schitt stack) for a few years and during the pandemic have gone more or less all in. At the point where I am trying to get my first pair of totl cans and looking forward to learning more about amps and dacs.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #12,135 of 15,534
My first post as a long time reader and now a member. Looking forward to more great reviews and interactions. Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back