New Member Introductions thread
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #11,627 of 15,533
Hello everyone! For the longest time, I just stuck to listening to some affordable IEMs, but lurking on the forums has gradually encouraged me to check out what else is out there. At the moment, I really have the AKG bug, but I've been able to find more opportunities to hear more and more brands. It's really been interesting hearing all the different sounds available and learning more about my own preferences. I hope I'll be able to engage with the community and be able to share experiences with each other!

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #11,629 of 15,533
Hi. My name is Raphaël. I live in France.

I began listening to music on headphones with mid-90's walkmans, I have a fond memory of my blue YPPY series unit. In the early 2000's, I had a minidisc portable unit, a nice blue Sharp. Mid-2000's was all about ipods and supposedly ipod killers, like the Samsung unit I bought and really enjoyed. Regarding headphones and earphones, I never bought the cheapest options neither really good ones. Ten years ago, for my 30th birthday, I received a pair of AKG K518, I liked but mistreated them. Currently, my daily listening is made on a lowcost smartphone and 17€ JVC in-ear earphones. I've grown tired of bassy-sounding phones and these are nicely balanced.

The last time I heard music coming out of a high fidelity system, it was in the listening room of a shop in 2002. My audiophile friend, back then, had taken me there. We had listened to some AC/DC, Stratovarius, ABBA and some Wagner if I remember well. I ended up coding the first website of a friend of his who was starting an online business of selling cables and audio components for audiophiles.

So what am I doing here, registering on an audio buffs website? Weeeell, I'm turning 40 next friday and my midlife crisis will be consisting of a Shanling Q1 and a Focal Listen Wireless that are awaiting me in a shop in a near-by city. I wanted to get them from an actual shop and am quite lucky that a french online retailer of good audio equipment has some 15 shops all over the country of which one is not far from my home. I gather that for a first step in the world of high fidelity portable audio, these two might be good. What I have heard and read about them suits what I am looking for. I intend on using FLAC and other lossless formats. And I'm really looking forward to get my hands on the Q1 and the Listen because I have had a hard time these past few months discovering new music on subpar equipment.

Regarding musical tastes, mine are eclectic. Yeah, I know, that's not original. Among my favourite artists, you will find Judas Priest, Noir Désir, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Leonard Cohen, The Bellrays, Nirvana, Akala, Carpenter Brut, Deller Consort, Tina Turner, London Grammar, Le Matos, Syl Johnson, Queen, David Bowie, Ennio Morricone. I do not know their respective discographies by heart, I just know that I usually like listening to their music. Recent discoveries include King Crimson, Gordon Lightfoot, Laura Jane Grace, The Weeknd, Spice, and any ambient playlist I can find on youtube to isolate myself from the surroundings while reading on the bus. I prefer albums to playlists.
Bonjour, Raphael! J'apprends le français depuis bientôt un an. J'aime bien cette belle langue. Est-ce que vous pouvez me recommender des chansons our chanteurs français? Merci bcp en avance!

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #11,631 of 15,533
Hello all. Budding audiophile and gear junkie here. Eager to learn and get into this great hobby. Headphone junkie as well. Started with the 650s and a Zen DAC. Changed my world.
Hello everyone. My name is Thana is from Thailand.I have a passion for earbuds and I look forward to meeting friends who have the same passion as me.:ksc75smile:
Occasional lurker, on the lookout for a portable DAC whenever the world works itself out and I can start going outside again regularly. BTR5 looks great.
Hello , I am Marco and I am new into the audiophile world. I found this forum's feedback and suggestion are very valuable and useful for my selection within my limited budget. Many Thanks!
hello from westchester ny how is everyone

Hello folks! Please enjoy your stay :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 13, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #11,632 of 15,533
Hi. My name is Raphaël. I live in France.

I began listening to music on headphones with mid-90's walkmans, I have a fond memory of my blue YPPY series unit. In the early 2000's, I had a minidisc portable unit, a nice blue Sharp. Mid-2000's was all about ipods and supposedly ipod killers, like the Samsung unit I bought and really enjoyed. Regarding headphones and earphones, I never bought the cheapest options neither really good ones. Ten years ago, for my 30th birthday, I received a pair of AKG K518, I liked but mistreated them. Currently, my daily listening is made on a lowcost smartphone and 17€ JVC in-ear earphones. I've grown tired of bassy-sounding phones and these are nicely balanced.

The last time I heard music coming out of a high fidelity system, it was in the listening room of a shop in 2002. My audiophile friend, back then, had taken me there. We had listened to some AC/DC, Stratovarius, ABBA and some Wagner if I remember well. I ended up coding the first website of a friend of his who was starting an online business of selling cables and audio components for audiophiles.

So what am I doing here, registering on an audio buffs website? Weeeell, I'm turning 40 next friday and my midlife crisis will be consisting of a Shanling Q1 and a Focal Listen Wireless that are awaiting me in a shop in a near-by city. I wanted to get them from an actual shop and am quite lucky that a french online retailer of good audio equipment has some 15 shops all over the country of which one is not far from my home. I gather that for a first step in the world of high fidelity portable audio, these two might be good. What I have heard and read about them suits what I am looking for. I intend on using FLAC and other lossless formats. And I'm really looking forward to get my hands on the Q1 and the Listen because I have had a hard time these past few months discovering new music on subpar equipment.

Regarding musical tastes, mine are eclectic. Yeah, I know, that's not original. Among my favourite artists, you will find Judas Priest, Noir Désir, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Leonard Cohen, The Bellrays, Nirvana, Akala, Carpenter Brut, Deller Consort, Tina Turner, London Grammar, Le Matos, Syl Johnson, Queen, David Bowie, Ennio Morricone. I do not know their respective discographies by heart, I just know that I usually like listening to their music. Recent discoveries include King Crimson, Gordon Lightfoot, Laura Jane Grace, The Weeknd, Spice, and any ambient playlist I can find on youtube to isolate myself from the surroundings while reading on the bus. I prefer albums to playlists.

Another fan of Ennio Morricone here, it's great Tidal has so many of this soundtracks.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #11,633 of 15,533
Bonjour, Raphael! J'apprends le français depuis bientôt un an. J'aime bien cette belle langue. Est-ce que vous pouvez me recommender des chansons our chanteurs français? Merci bcp en avance!
Salut! Chaque album de Lhasa comporte de très belles chansons en français. Et comme chanteuse française que j'aime beaucoup, il y a Pauline Croze. :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #11,634 of 15,533
Hi All.
Been supporting & shielding my father during Covid lockdown here in the UK. So needed some headphones to listen to music without bothering him. Bought B&W PX7's for noise cancelling, HD660s and Nighthawk Carbons which I am loving. Running them with ifi Nano BL and Chord Mojo streaming from laptop or android phone. Spent quite some time lurking around here so thought about time I joined. Not used headphones since the 80's and am really enjoying how much better they are now than then.
Cheers
Everyone stay safe.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #11,635 of 15,533
Hi, i'm Octavian, from Moldova. i've been lurking the forum for a long time, still i like more to read rather than to write, i'm too lazy.
But i'm glad that i've found the force to create the account.
I like more portable gears, they are easy to replace and it's easier to look for something new, i have to recognize that i'm shopaholic and my girlfriend doesn't know how much I spend for my toys.
But still, all this stuff is for listening to good music, not to collect iems and dacs.
I like prog rock/metal(Opeth, Haken, King Crimson, Tool, Genesis, Leprous, Death)some jazz( Pat Metheny, Al di Meola, Diana Krall, Jacques Loussier Trio, John Zorn) some classic music( Beethoven, Debussy, Rossini, Dvorak, Mozart).
Cheers!

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #11,636 of 15,533
Hi, I’m Steve
Born in London, live in Glasgow.
Since a foot injury and now lockdown/Furlough I’ve been able to use my DAP (Fiio M6) much more than usual.
Music of all sorts has been interest since mid 70’s. Music quality is important to me so love hi res and CD FLAC.
Not sure I can detect great differences in SQ, too many Motörhead etc concerts when younger.
This is a great site.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #11,639 of 15,533
Hi all,

My name is Gordon and I'm a recovering audiophile. I figure I would go by Gordilocks because I'm a picky SOB. Lol I've been living in peace or denial for about a decade and the maniacal OCD audioslave has recently awoken. This time around I'm in search of a simple setup so have ditched my iPhone for the LG V60 to use my Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed headphones, but am looking for a worthy desktop amp when I'm in the stationary, leave me to my world mode. Prior to deciding on this setup, I've tried Sundara, Ananda, Arya, Meze 99 Classics, Shure Aonic 50, Momentum TW 2 and 3, PX7, RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2, Monolith 124459, Topping DX7 Pro, Drop 789, and BTR5. I'm a hot mess and am probably on Amazon's Do Not Ship To list. Lol Happy to be here and hope to interact more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back