New Member Introductions thread
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #11,613 of 15,569
Joined to get some help finding suitable headphones for my sound card.

The stats say 75 impedance for the output

• Max. Level: customizable from +15dbu up to +24 dBu
  • Impedance: 75 Ohm
  • SNR: 123 dB(A)*
  • THD+N:
    <0,0008% / <-102 dB*
  • Frequency Response:
    0 Hz … 61 kHz
  • Crosstalk: <-110 dB*
Marian seraph ad2 is the sound card. I will primarily be using the headphones to play guitar amp sims. I'm currently using Audio technica 40x which are 32 ohm, but they seem to sound good to me. I've got my eyes on the massdrop 6xx or hifiman 4xx or possiblely the mono price m1060, I know I want open back. The thing I'm not sure about is how to match impedance for planar magnetic headphones, I got the impression that they work well regardless of impedance? None of the ones I've looked at in my price range are high impedance.

Thanks for any help.

I guess I will make a thread asking about this as well.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11,615 of 15,569
Hi folks,

New member from Colorado here. Mostly listen to speakers in three home systems, but have a pair of Stax SR-Lamdas (original, low bias type) and an SRA-12S amp that is my work desk system. I'm a software guy by day, but did avionics work in the Air Force, and worked as a component level bench tech in college and for a few years after, so my electronics skills are decent. Been an audiophile since about 1983. Still using a fair amount of equipment from that era. These Stax are probably from around 1980.

Cheers,
Paul

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #11,616 of 15,569
Hello all,

I’ve been an avid enthusiast for a while now but have recently gotten a lot more serious with my gear selection. As always these forums have been a great help in getting differing viewpoints and opinions on audio gear. I finally made an account to be a part of the discussion and to buy from a fellow head-fier. Currently my main setup is PC > RME ADI-2 DAC > Eddie Current BA > LCD-3F/HD-650

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #11,618 of 15,569
Hi all.

Been fiddling with entry level in ears for awhile and I've purchased my first headphone (ATH-R70x) and dac/amp (iFi Audio hip-dac) the last week. The forum has been great in getting different points of view on the gear that I wish to acquire; certainly played an integral part in my last purchase.

Current Setup
iPhone 6
iFi Audio hip-dac
Shure SE535LTD
Audio Technica ATH-E40
Ikko Audio OH10 Obsidian
Audio Technica ATH-R70x

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #11,619 of 15,569
Hi all.

Been fiddling with entry level in ears for awhile and I've purchased my first headphone (ATH-R70x) and dac/amp (iFi Audio hip-dac) the last week. The forum has been great in getting different points of view on the gear that I wish to acquire; certainly played an integral part in my last purchase.

Current Setup
iPhone 6
iFi Audio hip-dac
Shure SE535LTD
Audio Technica ATH-E40
Ikko Audio OH10 Obsidian
Audio Technica ATH-R70x

Hey, congrats on your audio purchases and thanks for getting hip-dac! :beerchug:

Enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #11,620 of 15,569
Hello all. Budding audiophile and gear junkie here. Eager to learn and get into this great hobby. Headphone junkie as well. Started with the 650s and a Zen DAC. Changed my world.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #11,621 of 15,569
Occasional lurker, on the lookout for a portable DAC whenever the world works itself out and I can start going outside again regularly. BTR5 looks great.

Mostly listen at my desk through an almost 8-year old Audioengine D1. Had a 250 ohm DT770 Pro for almost as long, which is still in great shape.

Picked up the K7XX for gaming back when it was being sold.

Now dabbling in Chi-Fi! Bought the BL03 some months back, fitted it with o-ring spacers and foam tips. Really enjoyed the sound, now patiently waiting for my Blessing 2s to ship.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #11,624 of 15,569
Hi, my name is Klaus from Germany and I use STAX equipment since many decades. After some accident my hearing was affected, but it got better now and COVID isolation made me rediscover my equipment and listening to fine music again - and I was happy to be able to immediately discover that I was (still!!) able to easily distinguish the sound of my Lambda Nova Signature from my Lambda Sigma Pro 404!

Happy to contribute and learn!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #11,625 of 15,569
Hi. My name is Raphaël. I live in France.

I began listening to music on headphones with mid-90's walkmans, I have a fond memory of my blue YPPY series unit. In the early 2000's, I had a minidisc portable unit, a nice blue Sharp. Mid-2000's was all about ipods and supposedly ipod killers, like the Samsung unit I bought and really enjoyed. Regarding headphones and earphones, I never bought the cheapest options neither really good ones. Ten years ago, for my 30th birthday, I received a pair of AKG K518, I liked but mistreated them. Currently, my daily listening is made on a lowcost smartphone and 17€ JVC in-ear earphones. I've grown tired of bassy-sounding phones and these are nicely balanced.

The last time I heard music coming out of a high fidelity system, it was in the listening room of a shop in 2002. My audiophile friend, back then, had taken me there. We had listened to some AC/DC, Stratovarius, ABBA and some Wagner if I remember well. I ended up coding the first website of a friend of his who was starting an online business of selling cables and audio components for audiophiles.

So what am I doing here, registering on an audio buffs website? Weeeell, I'm turning 40 next friday and my midlife crisis will be consisting of a Shanling Q1 and a Focal Listen Wireless that are awaiting me in a shop in a near-by city. I wanted to get them from an actual shop and am quite lucky that a french online retailer of good audio equipment has some 15 shops all over the country of which one is not far from my home. I gather that for a first step in the world of high fidelity portable audio, these two might be good. What I have heard and read about them suits what I am looking for. I intend on using FLAC and other lossless formats. And I'm really looking forward to get my hands on the Q1 and the Listen because I have had a hard time these past few months discovering new music on subpar equipment.

Regarding musical tastes, mine are eclectic. Yeah, I know, that's not original. Among my favourite artists, you will find Judas Priest, Noir Désir, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Leonard Cohen, The Bellrays, Nirvana, Akala, Carpenter Brut, Deller Consort, Tina Turner, London Grammar, Le Matos, Syl Johnson, Queen, David Bowie, Ennio Morricone. I do not know their respective discographies by heart, I just know that I usually like listening to their music. Recent discoveries include King Crimson, Gordon Lightfoot, Laura Jane Grace, The Weeknd, Spice, and any ambient playlist I can find on youtube to isolate myself from the surroundings while reading on the bus. I prefer albums to playlists.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back