New Member Introductions thread
Apr 29, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #9,978 of 15,646
I just started peeking into this hobby not too long ago. Really interested to see where it goes.

My first 'serious' headphones were the ATH-M50s for $130 bucks (yes, the old M50s, not the Xs) they're 7 years old, beat up and wanted to try another pair. Then I found the HD 6XX on Massdrop a few years ago which is my first open back headphones with a piece of Schiit Magni 2 Uber to pair with since it needs power. It's my main daily driver and haven't touched the M50s since, unless I am travelling. So far I really like the detail and laid back, neutral feel of it, but as of late I've been craving something a more 'fun' closed back headphone to hang with my HD 6XX and I'll be more likely found at the Sale/Trade threads..searching.

Other experiences: I've tried the Fidelio X2s from a friend of mine. Very nice but still lacks the punch I want in my bass, again research suggests closed back gets this itch for me. So far I'm on my list is: Fostex TR-X00, Argon Mk3, E-MU Teaks and Beyerdynamic | Mass(drop) 177X GO.

I usually listen to a various genres, never stuck in one too long just depends on the mood. Anything from classic/modern Rock, Hip-Hop, R&B to film and video game soundtracks, EDM, house to folk, indie and classical music such as Beethoven or Liszt. I'm little all over the place.

Other hobbies is PC building, Motorsports (F1, Daytona) and going to the gym. I drive my beloved hatchback GTI, we can talk cars too!

That's all I can think of to say about me and my intro.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #9,979 of 15,646
I just started peeking into this hobby not too long ago. Really interested to see where it goes.

My first 'serious' headphones were the ATH-M50s for $130 bucks (yes, the old M50s, not the Xs) they're 7 years old, beat up and wanted to try another pair. Then I found the HD 6XX on Massdrop a few years ago which is my first open back headphones with a piece of Schiit Magni 2 Uber to pair with since it needs power. It's my main daily driver and haven't touched the M50s since, unless I am travelling. So far I really like the detail and laid back, neutral feel of it, but as of late I've been craving something a more 'fun' closed back headphone to hang with my HD 6XX and I'll be more likely found at the Sale/Trade threads..searching.

Other experiences: I've tried the Fidelio X2s from a friend of mine. Very nice but still lacks the punch I want in my bass, again research suggests closed back gets this itch for me. So far I'm on my list is: Fostex TR-X00, Argon Mk3, E-MU Teaks and Beyerdynamic | Mass(drop) 177X GO.

I usually listen to a various genres, never stuck in one too long just depends on the mood. Anything from classic/modern Rock, Hip-Hop, R&B to film and video game soundtracks, EDM, house to folk, indie and classical music such as Beethoven or Liszt. I'm little all over the place.

Other hobbies is PC building, Motorsports (F1, Daytona) and going to the gym. I drive my beloved hatchback GTI, we can talk cars too!

I picked up a SoundMagic HP151 for the office based on feedback here and am pretty pleased with it. It wasn't so expensive so I didn't really hesitate. I am thinking about picking up a pair of the MD Meze 99 Noirs too, though. Haven't yet convinced myself that I'm ready to spend > $200 though. The SoundMagic has pretty punchy but still tight bass, though I wouldn't call it a basshead HP. Like you, I'm a little all over the place in my music... though maybe less EDM / R&B and adding some jazz, bluegrass and americana.

Welcome aboard!

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #9,980 of 15,646
Hi

My name is Mark - I have recently moved from loving / spending lots on amps and speakers (Naim/Neat/Dynaudio) to spending lots on headphone amps and cans...

I recently bought some Beyerdynamic Amirons, then quickly caught the bug...have upgraded to Audeze LCD-3 at home and also bought some Sennheiser HD660S for the office. I am now wondering whether to buy T1s, HD800s or something else next...

I have had my Violectric V200 for a few weeks and am already thinking about upgrading as I think my Audeze 3's deserve better...maybe the V281 as I love the Violectric sound...

Saw a V281 on the for sale thread but can't post that I am interested (I have only been reading Head-Fi as a guest for the last couple of years and did not realise I had to post and wait 30 days to post in the for sale threads... :frowning2:). Hey ho.

Happy listening

Mark

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #9,981 of 15,646
Hello, music lovers!
I am new here since I really enjoy listening music and playing with stereo gears a lot!! I hope I could have so valuable information and advices all about HiFi. Even though I have three DAC/amplifiers and 8 earphones and 3 headphones. I don't think it is enough!

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #9,982 of 15,646

Welcome aboard! The HD6XX was my first open back as well.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #9,983 of 15,646
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum. I’m pretty new to audio equipment. Got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s/LE headphones a number of years ago and the 1more Quad Driver earphones/IEM’s last year.

I’ve been reading as many posts as I can here and reviews about DAC’s and DAC/Amps. I started first considering the Dragonfly Red then moved to the FiiO Q5.

Now I’m thinking about first getting a DAP and building a Hi-Res music collection. I’m looking to stay between $500 and $700 and have liked what I have read about the FiiO M11 and the Astell & Kern A&norma.

Do any of you think the these DAP’s are too much for a newbie to high quality equipment and music like me with my current headphones and earphones?

I enjoy acoustic music the most, but do listen to some rock and a little rap. I’m not really into classical music, but wonder if I would feel differently listening to a Hi-Res track with a good setup.

I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #9,984 of 15,646

Welcome! I’m new as well and also started with the ATH-M50s as my first serious set of headphones. Great value! How do the HD6XX compare with the M50s?

I’m a car nut too. Have a ‘12 135i that is a blast to drive. GTI’s are great! I drove a VR6 back in about 2010 and loved it! Nothing beats German engineering!

How long have you followed F1? I caught a glimpse of Schumacher’s domination in 2000 when traveling through Europe and then Jenson Button and Russ Brawn’s championship run in 2009 while working in London. I started watching regularly in 2013 when NBCSN began coverage. I haven’t watched the past two seasons as I’m trying to avoid paying for cable, but it’s hard not watching. Do you have a favorite team or driver? I’ve always liked Räikkönen and Hamilton. I liked Hamilton a bit less when he wins all of the time, but always rooted him on over Nico. It would be nice to have a bit more competition for the championship.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #9,985 of 15,646
Hey, thanks! The HD6XX are definitely better in terms of soundstage, detail and being overall neutral. They are considered the best in the $200 mark because they are basically HD650s ($300+) in sheep's clothing so they punch above their price range. I can't fully judge these since it's the only one that I have owned that is 'audiophile' territory and being my first open back as well. If I get another closed back headphone like I planned, I could probably rate the M50s to compare it with.

Never rode in a 135i but a friend of mine has a 235i and that thing was awesome! Really great exterior and interior designers at BMW. My GTI is 4 years old now, I don't know about you but still look back every time I walk away like if it's the first day I bought it! I'm maybe looking into getting a Golf R in the future but it'll be hard to give up my car! I've read that Mazda might bring back their Mazdaspeed 3 line again and if they do I'm seriously interested. Do you have any mods for your BMW?

I've been on and off F1 since I was a kid but have been following it for about 5 years now. I was a Mika Hakkinen fan in the early 2000s when I was a kid and he was like the only challenger to Schumacher haha. Since Raikkonen replaced Hakkinen when he retired, he's been my favorite ever since and Alonso until he retired last year. Hamilton I think is the best driver on the grid and like Schumacher, it gets boring when he wins all the time. Not much has change this year so far, 4 races in. It's Hamilton and his teammate Bottas that are currently leading the championship for Mercedes. Last year Bottas had terrible luck with his Mercedes car but now he just won the last race so he's leading. Ferrari so far has been terrible with their strategies like the last 2 seasons. Kimi left Ferrari and went to Alfa-Romeo team this year. Vettel is still with Ferrari. I wish I could watch the whole thing but work has been real busy. I usually watch the qualifying and highlights on F1's Youtube page to keep up, I'd recommend that if you don't want to pay for cable.

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #9,986 of 15,646
Hi everyone,

So, I am not entirely a new member, but I have not posted often here yet. The knowledge and welcoming attitude of the users here is unparalleled.

My introduction into the world of headphones was with the notorious Beats Pro headphones, which of course, at the time were much better than any other headphone my 14-year-old self had ever heard. (Don't worry. I won't mention the "B" word again.)

I am currently a grad student in NY and headphones continue to be my hobby.

My babies are my Eikons now (but I plan on selling them soon to upgrade and because I have fallen victim to the addicting feeling that comes from getting stuck seeking headphones that have all the qualities of your favorite headphone, but slight improvements in little nuances that you subjectively care about.) For me, vocals, soundstage, and a tight bass have always been focused.

The portable headphones that I use in the gym and in other casual settings are the Oppo-Pm3, the Ultrasone 750 and then DT 770 Pro. (I purchased the latter two on Headfi.) If anybody knows of some other portable headphones that they prefer to the Ultrason 760 or DT 770 to use as portable headphones (especially with consideration to largest soundstage you've heard on closed backs and realistic, lively vocals, let me know.) Furthermore, while I am not selling any of my headphones besides the EIkon, if you were looking at any of the other headphones I mentioned, I would not mind giving you some advice/personal descriptions on the sound characteristics.

Best:)

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #9,987 of 15,646
Hi everyone,

So, I am not entirely a new member, but I have not posted often here yet. The knowledge and welcoming attitude of the users here is unparalleled.

My introduction into the world of headphones was with the notorious Beats Pro headphones, which of course, at the time were much better than any other headphone my 14-year-old self had ever heard. (Don't worry. I won't mention the "B" word again.)

I am currently a grad student in NY and headphones continue to be my hobby.

My babies are my Eikons now (but I plan on selling them soon to upgrade and because I have fallen victim to the addicting feeling that comes from getting stuck seeking headphones that have all the qualities of your favorite headphone, but slight improvements in little nuances that you subjectively care about.) For me, vocals, soundstage, and a tight bass have always been focused.

The portable headphones that I use in the gym and in other casual settings are the Oppo-Pm3, the Ultrasone 750 and then DT 770 Pro. (I purchased the latter two on Headfi.) If anybody knows of some other portable headphones that they prefer to the Ultrason 760 or DT 770 to use as portable headphones (especially with consideration to largest soundstage you've heard on closed backs and realistic, lively vocals, let me know.) Furthermore, while I am not selling any of my headphones besides the EIkon, if you were looking at any of the other headphones I mentioned, I would not mind giving you some advice/personal descriptions on the sound characteristics.

Best:)

Welcome, also from upstate. Capital Region myself. That's an impressive collection btw. I don't have anything even close to $1k! Congrats on making it as a student, albeit a grad student. What's your area of study?

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #9,988 of 15,646
Welcome, also from upstate. Capital Region myself. That's an impressive collection btw. I don't have anything even close to $1k! Congrats on making it as a student, albeit a grad student. What's your area of study?

That's only a few hours away from where I am studying. It is a small world. And thank you! Still early on in my collection phase, but it has already been such a fun ride.

Spending a lot of money is never necessary, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

Thank you. I am currently studying law. Are you currently a student too?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back