New Member Introductions thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #9,121 of 15,602
Hey guys,

...snip.... Any recommendations for a beginner Dac/amp or dap? Or are they even necessary? Thanks

May I suggest the Audio-gd R2R-11 Headphone amplifier and DAC for $350 plus shipping direct from China as the first choice, considering the quality of the HPs listed you will appreciate a true NOS Resistor-2-Resistor Ladder DAC

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #9,127 of 15,602
Hey y’all. New here obviously but look forward to learning a lot. I’m new to home hi fi , but was into high end car audio for many years. As of now I’ve got a Mac mini with a Cambridge dac plus running xlr to jbl 305mk2 and a pair of senn 58x jubilee. I’m going to look into upgrading my current music as I’ve always used iTunes . I also have an older denon dvd/cd player I may hook up to import some cds I have. Thanks for the community.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #9,133 of 15,602
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I've been an "audiophile(?)" or sound enthusiast guy (more like a headphone dude) since a year ago, more or less.
So, I'm posting here to introduce myself. My name is Ricardo, and you can fell free to ask me about the performance (or whatever) about the gear I own.
Oh, and I'm mexican and I live in México

Headphones
Status Audio CB-1
Philips SHP9500
Sennheiser HD559 & 598SR
Monoprice Retro
Fostex T50 RP
Beyerdynamic Custom Street, DT770 & DT1990 (my bae)
I've also owned Sony WH-1000xm2, but soundwise, they're crap for me, so I sold them

Amps & DACs
Fiio Q1 mkII
Monoprice Liquid Spark
And waiting for my Topping D10 to arrive...

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #9,134 of 15,602
Hello world.
Been lurking on the forums for about 10 years now, just created an account.
I've always had an interest in electronics and audio, i've built, modded, repaired and/or rebuilt a few different amps/pedals/speakers at this point, and plenty of other electronic devices.
Learning how things work has always been of great interest to me.

Recently a great friend rekindled my interest in headphones, as i've mainly been into speakers and amps for the last decade.
I'm by no means an "audiophile" but I appreciate good sound when i hear it. I finally settled on a set of JBL LSR305 monitors a few years ago for my main system and they serve me well. They are the best value for the money in a powered speaker that i've found, and I'm always on the lookout for great value audio. I've also done a couple minor mods to them, like replacing input caps and power caps.
Currently i'm using a Steinberg UR22 MkII as a DAC and the line out quality seems decent enough, unfortunately the headphone output is a disgraceful 6mw per channel into 40 ohms. Hardly enough to drive ipod earbuds...
So to get around this I decided to order a Monolith Liquid Spark based on some preliminary reviews and recommendations. I hope to see more testing done on this amp but so far it looks pretty solid and it's Interesting that there are no caps in the signal path at all.
My next step is to get some better cans; i'm looking at the HD58x jellybeans and they seem like a real winner.
Currently rocking some "vintage" 90's Philips SBC HP 910's and Sennheiser HD 25 SP-II
Unfortunately my HP 910's recently developed a rattling static noise in one ear and now it sounds like the audio is being choked. Hoping that its a repairable connection issue and not a damaged driver as i've really become fond of these cans after finding a NOS pair on ebay 8-9 years ago. They look goofy as frigg but they sure sound sweet.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the community now! See you guys around!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back