New Member Introductions thread
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #8,401 of 15,538
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself- 40 year old audiophile. My main room system consists of a Krell FPB 400cx amp, Krell KRC-HR preamp, Apogee Acoustics Duetta Signature speakers (rebuilt), and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC attached to an Innuos Zenith MKII renderer. I run Roon on a laptop.

My personal listening gear consists of Focal Elear headphones attached to my iPhone via Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/headphone amp.

I’m eventually hoping to make the Brooklyn DAC my headphone amp and purchase a better listening room DAC. Aqua La Scala or MSB would be nice.

I’m also looking into some new headphones that are travel friendly. I travel for work a lot and carrying around the Focals isn’t working out too well for me.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #8,402 of 15,538
Hi everyone,

I'm not really into the Head-Fi as a "Hobby", I don't have the budget despite some interest, but I appreciate music better with at least "decent" quality.

I'm trying to get a good rig and be done with It. I was satisfied with the sound of my Geek Out V2-->TH-X00 PurpleHeart but the Geek out V2 died on me and I'm trying to find a replacement.

Audio gear has been evolving quite a lot since 2016 and I'm trying to catch up... I'm a bit lost right now, I don't want anything transportable anymore, but probably a separate DAC and Amp, something reasonable sized that would stay on my desk .

Things never break at a good time and I'm quite on a budget right now, so I take my time and read forums to find a good pairing for my TH-X00 and accumulate a bit of money, I'd like to find something sounding good with both my actual headphone but that would also be versatile enough to work nice with other popular choices like HD-650 should I want to try them later..

I'll lurking for now, when I'm confident about what I want i'll probably post for advice right now, I'm considering Soekris 1421 and Headamp GIlmore lite mk2 but I'm afraid I'll end-up with something a bit on the bright side....

As a side note, I'm located in France so US based offers are less attractive pricewise to me than most because of VAT, customs and huge transport fees :/ specially If It ever needs needs repairs. Also please excuse my poor English.

Hi @bitterspike,

Welcome aboard to this 'interesting' past time we all find ourselves in.
One thing to remember is while budget is important, I suggest not letting it influence or drive your decisions especially when it comes to anything pricey, especially without a demo.
I have always been appreciative of pro gear overall as often times the value you can get is really good or very little money comparatively to consumer side, not to mention, most pro places tend to give better deals overall.
I recommend looking at pro gear equivalent of any DAC/Amps you may be interested in, in the pro audio world, they tend to be known as USB Computer Interfaces.
Try to demo as much as possible with good quality sources you know well as this will help you make good decisions on what is right for you, trust your own judgement, no one else's.
I also understand completely US based offers being less attractive as I am also outside the US so this makes it 'fun' for me too.

Echoing @serman005, apologies to your wallet.

As a final note, your English is more than fine.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #8,403 of 15,538
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself- 40 year old audiophile. My main room system consists of a Krell FPB 400cx amp, Krell KRC-HR preamp, Apogee Acoustics Duetta Signature speakers (rebuilt), and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC attached to an Innuos Zenith MKII renderer. I run Roon on a laptop.

My personal listening gear consists of Focal Elear headphones attached to my iPhone via Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/headphone amp.

I’m eventually hoping to make the Brooklyn DAC my headphone amp and purchase a better listening room DAC. Aqua La Scala or MSB would be nice.

I’m also looking into some new headphones that are travel friendly. I travel for work a lot and carrying around the Focals isn’t working out too well for me.

Hi @sandpat,

Welcome.

Nice gear you have there.

A very travel friendly headphone I would recommend is the Sony 1000 XM2, it is subjectively & personally among the best headphones for travel I have ever come across with good battery life & Noise Cancelling that actually works for me.
Your mileage may vary but I suggest these as your next demo choice.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #8,404 of 15,538
Hi @sandpat,

Welcome.

Nice gear you have there.

A very travel friendly headphone I would recommend is the Sony 1000 XM2, it is subjectively & personally among the best headphones for travel I have ever come across with good battery life & Noise Cancelling that actually works for me.
Your mileage may vary but I suggest these as your next demo choice.

Thanks for the quick recommendation. Reading up on these!

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #8,407 of 15,538
Hello All,
I've been diving in an out of audiophile realm through out the years.Wanted to find/join a community for discussion and guidance for future fun.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #8,411 of 15,538
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #8,414 of 15,538
Hi guys.just approved today.Only using headphones seriously for about a year.. New arrival means my main hifi rarely gets turned on these days.Eximus dp1 my main source and headphones im using are hd580se's, hifiman hd560 and beyerdynamic T1's.. Hoping to get involved in lots of discussions when i learn to work my way around here.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #8,415 of 15,538
Hi there. Being into EBM and every other kind of (post-)industrial, I like high quality audio a lot, but that doesn't play well with my current budget constraints, so "chi-fi" is my only hope :). Currently using Xuelin IHIFI 780 as my (only) source with KZ ED9 while waiting for KZ ZS10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back