New Member Introductions thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #7,145 of 15,539
long time lurker and part time Spelunker, I am a mad scientist, my life is hectic, there's Diodes, caps, drivers, cables DIY projects half finished all across my living space. I like to mod and tweak and see what is capable. if there's some improvement to be made I will find it.. and if there isn't i'll seek to modify it. when I have the time and energy this is how I spend my hobby time now, i was into portable source and amps over a decade ago but the offerings were all short run pre-order stuff wedged into Altoids tins, of which I always wanted but either didn't have the patience to wait or missed out on a run or finances got in the way, while I like supporting the little guys the choice is hard to beat and the prices are very hard to ignore, albiet mass produced things are not unique, lack character and have little to no exclusivity, not to knock on people's equipment, I too own some of aforementioned mass produced equipment, I didn't purchase it chasing the fantasy of exclusivity or incredible character, it's purely utilitarianism for me, everything I have I use and I use it hard, nothing survives it does if I repair it, but i will always push things beyond their intended use, whatver lives I spread the word.

Over engineered and overbuilt is great but good design and function is at least to me, paramount and can co-exist. at a price.

Edit.. I understand individual components roles. circuit design is not my forte.. i just know how things work. understand how they work, but designing something for efficiency is like mind-block austism style

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #7,148 of 15,539
Hi all. Just joined and looking forward to exploring the forum. Been reading stuff on and off for ages and decided to give it a go. Main desktop set up is iDAC2 + Questyle CMA800R + Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD 800. Enjoy all sorts of music!

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #7,149 of 15,539
Hey, everyone. This is Sonny Ethan. I'm new in this community. Someone inspired me to join this forum.
My gears are Beyerdynamic dt990, Audio Technica M50x, Shure srh840, and two DACs.
I also had Bose qc35, but I gave them to my girlfriend (wasn't of much help to me).

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #7,151 of 15,539
Hi There,

I'm not actually new to this forum as I've been reading it silently for some time now. Finally registered. I've been using Senn HD600s for couple of months, now switched to LCD-X.

Nice to meet you!
How has that transition between cans been? I enjoy both, and both have similarities I feel. Anything that really draws you to either?
Eaten alive by
lice and fleas -- now the horse
beside my pillow pees.

Good evening.
And I thought I had a tough life!
Hi all,

I'm Phil, the proud owner of a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s cans, which I have owned for nearly a year. I recently acquired a HDV 820 DAC/amp, which (I believe) has brought out the best in the HD 800s.

I have a technical background and like to explore the edge of the performance envelope.

I'm into day 3 of experimenting with my HDV 820, and I'm enjoying cutting through the marketing and golden ear hype in the quest for building the ideal rig to feed the DAC/headphone combination.

I am evaluating multiple playback options on Linux, OS X, and Windows using both ASIO and native USB drivers in the quest to find a combination that best supports both PCM and DSD playback on the HDV 820.

Being involved in R&D, I like evidence based conclusions, and will be studiously avoiding confirmation bias in my journey.

If I navigate successfully through the anti-spam hoops, I may even start a thread chronicling my journey. :wink:

Regards.

Phil
You are sitting really pretty Phil!! I heard that combo at RMAF and it was killer. I not only wish I could hear the HDV 820 again, but also wish we had it at the store I work for... The synergy is strong with this one.
Hello all,
I was living happily and contentedly with a Schiit stack (Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber) and a pair of HiFiMan He400i cans for almost two years before I decided to make a big upgrade last summer. Did a lot of research here and in other places before I jumped on a good deal for some LCD-X's and eventually paired those with a Gustard A20H amp/dac unit. I thought I was in good shape with my initial setup but my mind was pretty much blown by the sonic improvements my new rig brought me. Not having heard much high end gear before, all I could do for the first 5 minutes of listening was say "wow" over and over again because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The spark was lit and I've been chasing the dragon ever since!
Something that happens when I am REALLY enjoying something is that I smile super hard and eventually let out a big HA! I know that if something makes me have to laugh it must be amazing... Those moments are the best in this hobby. I am glad you are enjoying your stuff! That is the whole purpose.
Greetings,

This is my first BBS registration in a good many years.
I've seen a lot of good discussion on the forum lately, so I thought this is the time to register.
Been in the hobby a couple of years, not the most outspoken person in the world, but i might try to share from time to time.
Welcome!! A couple of years in the hobby is more then enough time to contribute (if you want to that is :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #7,152 of 15,539
Hi

New to HiFi!

Have a DT 770 80 with Dekoni velours and Superlux 668B with brainwavz sheepskins and an FX-Aduio X6 DAC. :)
The FX DAC is for work but I am looking for something a little more upmarket for home.

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #7,154 of 15,539
Glennp checking in for the first time. I need help/advice.

I have a major hearing loss from flying too much when I was in the military. The VA provides me with high quality hearing aids and accessories, but they're no longer enough. I teach, and I have real difficulty hearing and understanding my students. I've found that I can hear TV/radio/etc very clearly through Sennheiser RS165 wireless headphones, which fit over the ear while my hearing aids are in. What I’m hoping to find is some sort of integrated mic/amplifier I could use in the classroom to amplify students’ voices. Something I could plug the headphone transmitter base into. Does such a thing exist? Where should I look for it?

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #7,155 of 15,539
Hello,

I'm new and looking to find information on how to choose great headsets. The motivation may not stellar, but I heard that there are non-gaming headsets that are great for gaming and overall budget. I'm trying to find more information and suggestions to that end.

Cheers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back