New Member Introductions thread
Jun 5, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #5,761 of 15,646
Hey folks, just signed up and raising a white flag in my post here saying that I'm for reals and a nonhostile. Wrote music in the early 90's on cheap Koss cans that my brother gave me which were actually amazingly good. Currently DJing with AKG K181 DJ UE's which are amazingly loud, deep and clear. Recently discovered cheap ($12cdn) Venture Electronics MONK headphones.
Welcome @Mental Floss! We are so sorry about your wallet... ---)

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #5,762 of 15,646
@itinkerstuff: Those two you have are good options. I would add a couple more just for you to read about and those are the Fidelio X2 and the HD558/598. You might read about those and see what you think. The X2 has a bass emphasis that some people really like. It also has a very large soundstage. The 558/598 also have terrific soundstages but less bass than the X2 and more than the AD700x. The Scarlett should be adequate to drive the K612 Pro should you go that direction.
fidelio x2 and hd598 is just too expensive, but i might take a look into the hd558. do you think its good for fps gaming? ill research more on it.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #5,765 of 15,646
Ok I decided to buy the Astel & Kern SP1000 A&Ultima :L3000:

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #5,767 of 15,646
Wow! That is awesome. Let us know how it works out for you.

Ugh! serman, I canceled it this morning....thinking of what the Wife will say when she finds out I spent $3,500 on a music player...lol

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #5,768 of 15,646
Ugh! serman, I canceled it this morning....thinking of what the Wife will say when she finds out I spent $3,500 on a music player...lol

I still may buy it, I just thought for that much cash it needs to be the best and last. One concern I had is how long will that battery last over time? Also, what if it breaks? Does AK do repairs and how much?

I realize the quality is extreme but hey, I am sure there have been defective units, and the battery life over years, what does that look like? How long do these things last? TCO...

I have UE 10's IEM's, currently Vamp Verza DAC, desktop Sennheiser HDVD800 w/HD800 cans. I'm on the fence on these things....need some help
Believe me--I hear you on the wife thing. It's a constant struggle here. As far as the battery goes, maybe you should email them and ask them what expected lifespan is. I couldn't find it on the website. The email address is: support.inc@iriver.com. Maybe also ask them about the repairs thing. I see warranty is one year, which isn't ideal for something as complex as this player is with its 8 processors! A&K stuff has always been well made, in my opinion, so maybe it's not an issue. You got a lot on your plate with this thing... ---)

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #5,769 of 15,646
Believe me--I hear you on the wife thing. It's a constant struggle here. As far as the battery goes, maybe you should email them and ask them what expected lifespan is. I couldn't find it on the website. The email address is: support.inc@iriver.com. Maybe also ask them about the repairs thing. I see warranty is one year, which isn't ideal for something as complex as this player is with its 8 processors! A&K stuff has always been well made, in my opinion, so maybe it's not an issue. You got a lot on your plate with this thing... ---)

Thank you serman, yes I just emailed them and asked those two questions. So we'll see what they say. I may look at getting the KANN, save a bunch of cash, get more storage space and still have a great unit. Might make the most sense for my needs. It's nice to put your entire music collection on a mobile device. And the battery life on the KANN is insane.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #5,772 of 15,646
Thank you serman, yes I just emailed them and asked those two questions. So we'll see what they say. I may look at getting the KANN, save a bunch of cash, get more storage space and still have a great unit. Might make the most sense for my needs. It's nice to put your entire music collection on a mobile device. And the battery life on the KANN is insane.
Yeah, the Kann might have a higher Wife Acceptance Factor. ---)

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #5,773 of 15,646
Jun 7, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #5,774 of 15,646
Hello all, glad o be accepted to your community. I'm definitely a headphone nut, but my main focus is vacuum tube devices. I try to design circuits and also build amps using other's circuits. My favorite part of any amp is the power supply. IMHO power supplies are often overlooked and under-built. I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone here. I've been watching awhile and there seems to be a ton of knowledge here. Thanks Again for having me, Jay

Jun 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #5,775 of 15,646
Hi Guys! Thanks for accepting me in your community. I can't say that I'm an audiophile, but I do like good sounding headphones. Currently using an AKG K271 MKII that I got 2nd hand for around $20, which is paired with a Fiio X1. Looking for suggestions for an affordable portable headphone amp. Thanks for having me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back