New Member Introductions thread
May 9, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #5,552 of 15,536
Hey all,
Just joined the site today out of frustration :wink:
i am a music lover and its the most important thing in my life, besides people. I didn't know how extensive the quality of headphones can be until my research brought me to this site and i'm glad it did. headphones will be my next adventure and it seams all the advice i need is within these here walls. So here's my dilemna, im tired of using itunes to track, organize and listen to my music. i want a contained storage of all my cd's on a dedicated laptop/hard drive in a program that is not in need of wifi or anything proprietary. i currently have probably 2500 cd's and the collection grows weekly. i'll keep all my cd's in storage for safekeeping but want to upload everything into one device, preferably portable as in a laptop and hard drive with the the sole purpose of storing my music. my research has brought me to the interest of a Fiio X5 Gen 3 as a great portable device for the car, home stereo, friends stereo etc. i like the idea also of being able to give the gift of my music to someone with my music loaded on it already. i am not a super techie guy but i do understand things when it's explained to me. i live north of nyc and would love to learn how what and why with all these issues! not sure if im making sense or even addressing the right audience but hey, i'm learning!!
Thanx and hello to all

Michael
Getting all 2500 on the Fiio will take some doing if your going lossless. Straight rips would probably be close to well over over a Terra Byte . I think most daps with two micro sd slots are limited to two 256 gb cards and say 32 gb on board. Flac is a compressed lossless format that can help but still don't think you can get them on there without going mp3.

May 10, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #5,554 of 15,536
Hello All,

Just joined today and I'm really impressed with the info one can find here. Looking forward to learning a few things about headphones :)

I can teach you something right now! Make sure your bank account and wallet are prepared while your ahead... Either way welcome!

May 10, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #5,556 of 15,536
Hi all, newbie here entering into the headfi universe with great trepidation.

At his is an awesome site for a someone new to headfi to learn more.

Cheers!
And trepidation should be heeded as this place can empty your bank account in the blink of a eye ; )

May 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #5,558 of 15,536
Hello all. New member here. I come from a car audio background during it's heyday in California back in the 80's and 90's. I've always enjoyed music and have recently been bitten by the personal audio bug. I had been enjoying the open back sound of the HD 595 with a Fiio E07 DAC/amp for several years and recently upgraded to the HD 650 once the price dropped to $315 on Amazon. I learned after the fact that I just missed a Massdrop offering of the HD6xx, but considering the HD650s were originally $600, $315 feels like a steal.

Since joining Head-Fi barely 10 days ago, I've discovered the amazing value and performance of the Schiit line of products. I have already purchased a Jotunheim from a fellow member and couldn't be happier with the HD650 pairing.
My entire music collection feels new again and as others have mentioned, I'm losing sleep as I can't put my head phones down.

May 10, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #5,560 of 15,536
Hello all. New member here. I come from a car audio background during it's heyday in California back in the 80's and 90's. I've always enjoyed music and have recently been bitten by the personal audio bug. I had been enjoying the open back sound of the HD 595 with a Fiio E07 DAC/amp for several years and recently upgraded to the HD 650 once the price dropped to $315 on Amazon. I learned after the fact that I just missed a Massdrop offering of the HD6xx, but considering the HD650s were originally $600, $315 feels like a steal.

Since joining Head-Fi barely 10 days ago, I've discovered the amazing value and performance of the Schiit line of products. I have already purchased a Jotunheim from a fellow member and couldn't be happier with the HD650 pairing.
My entire music collection feels new again and as others have mentioned, I'm losing sleep as I can't put my head phones down.

You should upgrade the DAC to either Gungnir Multibit to get the best out of your Jotunheim.

May 11, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #5,561 of 15,536
You should upgrade the DAC to either Gungnir Multibit to get the best out of your Jotunheim.
How do you like the Bifrost Multibit? The Gungnir sounds awesome from what I've read but is still more than I'm prepared to spend....for now at least.

May 11, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #5,563 of 15,536
Hello!

I'm a long time reader, and an aspiring musician.

Thank you everybody for your insights! I joined a few specific questions in mind, that I will post in the Yggdrasil impressions thread.

In the meantime, happy spring/autumn,

M. Bouche

May 11, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #5,564 of 15,536
Getting all 2500 on the Fiio will take some doing if your going lossless. Straight rips would probably be close to well over over a Terra Byte . I think most daps with two micro sd slots are limited to two 256 gb cards and say 32 gb on board. Flac is a compressed lossless format that can help but still don't think you can get them on there without going mp3.
I dont need to keep EVERYTHING on the Fiio but want to keep everything on a dedicated laptop. i only have experience with itunes and no longer want to use it but have no clue on how else to store and manage my music. i'm hoping to meet someone who can guide me on this quest. i want to buy all new equipment.

May 11, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #5,565 of 15,536
Hi,

I'm new to the site and the headphone game in general. I really need your help with a few questions, please. I own the Oppo PM 3's and yesterday received my DT1990 Pro's and Beyerdynamic A20 amp. It was a bundle deal I found on Amazon for $699. I had a Chord Mojo paired with my Astell Kern ak100 but returned the Mojo to help fund the 1990's. I'm now, listening to the 1990's from the ak100 to the amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to amp- to 1990's. So, my question is, do I need a good stand alone DAC in between the ak100 and the amp to get the best source to feed the headphones? My initial thoughts on the headphones are, I really, really like them but a little on bright side, from what I'm used to. The Oppo's have zero highs and sound veiled compared to 1990's. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back