New Member Introductions thread
Aug 30, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #4,051 of 15,646
Hello all! My name is Jonathan. I have visited Head-Fi a number of times over the years and finally decided to join.

I think my first introduction to Head-Fi was the epic mother of all headphone reviews posted by David:

THE BATTLE OF THE FLAGSHIPS

Still a great read and excellent resource.

I love music. I love a wide variety of music. My favorite site/tool for discovering music is thesixtyone and I am on there most days. I also enjoy Pandora, Soundcloud, Slacker, and of course Last.fm.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #4,052 of 15,646
I'd done similarly, lurking before posting, and getting sucked into this lifestyle.  It's more than a hobby, for the rewards of listening to these truly wonderful headsets enter directly into the soul.  I too was going to get the LCD-2's as my first "real" headset, but the demo from Moon Audio that I was going to buy had already been sold, so I got a set of HD650's.  And an iFi iDSD.  And so began the assault on my wallet.  The good folks at Moon Audio had offered me the same price on any future demo model of the LCD-2 (although I'm sure there's a limit on just how long I can hold them to it!), and my correspondence with them led me to spend an entire day at their Cary, NC shop (I'm from Tampa) listening to a small multitude of headsets.  I was pretty certain that I'd leave with the LCD-2, or perhaps the -X or even the -3, but instead left with the Hifiman HE1000's.  I didn't see that one coming!  And then there will be another amp, then a DAC, and...

I've found Head-Fi to be a terrific source of information, although you sometimes have to mine for it and sift through some debris, and the people on these boards are equally wonderful.  I've hardly posted at all, but have always been treated well.  I hope your experiences here are at least as good, and welcome!

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,053 of 15,646
Hello everyone, I guess my story is pretty much the same as everyone here. Months/years of lurking on the site and finally deciding to create an account and join the community after much contemplation hahaha. I'm an avid fan of heavy music genres like rock and metal, and also the occasional hip-hop/RnB music for those chill out nights with friends. Never had the money or knowledge to get into the audio world when I was younger, but now that I have some money ever since I started working part-time I started looking into the audio world a lot more.

I'm a newbie when it comes to audio products and very clueless with regards to audio terminology/jargon and the likes, and I came here with the intention to learn from the best and earn the best listening experience for myself and my less tech-savvy loved ones. Hope I can learn something from everyone and anyone of you. See y'all in the forums!

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #4,054 of 15,646
I just came across an old thread discussing binaural recordings and I wanted to share my recommendation.

Freyda & Acoustic Atta Tude
Midnight at Cabell Hall

This was recorded in 1993 at Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia campus. It was recorded with an Aachen head from Sonic Perceptions.

Fantastic recording.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,058 of 15,646
Hi thread,

I am a newbie but I learn fast =) already have a bunch of buds and IEMs shipped to me.
Oh my poor wallet 
beyersmile.png

It all started with DT 770  as gift for me... 

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #4,059 of 15,646
Hello all. In real life, I usually react to "Luk". Age 34, living in a small town in Belgium.
Living in a rowhouse (friendly neighbors, aged well in their 90's), having a very irregular work scheme, I can't turn up the audio system and subwoofer at every moment I would like to.
I have a pioneer AV-receiver to wich all my audio and video devices are plugged in.

What I'm looking for is a very decent headphone/amp combo to listen to movies, games and music at times the neighbors or my wife are asleep.
I'm interested in a sennheiser HD-650 - wooaudio wa7d fireflies combo, as I can hook that up easily to the Av-receiver via toslink (all my digital sources) and rca (analogue). Sources are a dvd-player, playstation, wii, satellite receiver, computer via hdmi and an ipad (bluetooth or jack to rca). Currently we have a premium spotify account. Genres listened to are mostly 90's eurodance, rock, trance and pop.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4,063 of 15,646
Hi everyone!
My adventure with audio started with someone recommending me DT990 and Prodigy Cube. This was back 3 years ago but I haven't been that much into audio until a year ago. Since then I'm still using the same audio setup but I modded my DT990 multiple times and replaced op-amp in the Cube.
I plan on buying Schiit stack some time soon and building a CMoy really soon.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,064 of 15,646
Hi!

My name is Maxim

I am in the market for a new pair of headphone, I try to learn as much as I can before I choose.

Style of music I like. Almost anything but my main style are
Metal/Metalcore
Hardcore
Psytrance and Progressive

I currently own:
Audio Technica M50s, on my gaming/working computer
Sennheiser RS175, use those to watch tv and listen to music while I clean/cook or walk around the house. 
Soon: XDuoo XD-05 DAC/amp. Now I need a decent pair of headphone to with this amp.

Other hobby? yes:
I am a CNC machinist/programmer, I love my job.
Pc gaming, I also really like the WiiU.
Paintball
Art/Tattoo/Drawing 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back