New Member Introductions thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #3,916 of 15,536
Hi. My name is Chase, like the verb, and I am an audioholic.

The first step to solving a problem is forgetting you have one and finding others to enable you, so I'm here. I live in Sodom and Gomorrah San Francisco. I am a systems architect and operations engineer by day, and one of those unpleasant, elitist BSD geeks who will RTFM you out of the room as hard as possible for asking a valid but easily abetted question by night (not really but our bunch is unpleasant and elitist at times).
I work on audio drivers and Linux ports for the BSDs and design storage systems. I rebuild Arcams for fun and am sitting on a small pile of Black Gate caps which I intend to use for improving my own audio equipment as I acquire it. It's those or Elna Silmic II in my mind. If you have nothing nice to say, but can enjoy getting lost in the fineries of informatics and pulse density, then come sit by me. We're weirding everyone else out and quarantine is recommended, I'm told.

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #3,917 of 15,536
Hello, Head-Fi.

I recently jumped ship from Apple, upgrading from an iPod Nano 7th Gen to the Cowon Plenue D.  Basically I was just sick to death of iTunes, jumping through Apple's hoops, and banging my head against the wall over simple tasks like just putting new music onto my iPod.

The Plenue D is my first hi-res audio player, and it took a good deal of research to settle on it.  Reading reviews and impressions on these forums helped in that regard.  I was looking for something in a small form factor, metal body, touch-screen, good sound, and it had to look nice (no funky buttons or weird angles), and it had to be under $300 USD.  I just recently received mine and it seems pretty decent so far.

It's not without it's issues, though.  Currently I'm trying to find a good way to normalize my collection so I don't blow my ear drums out on shuffle.  My iPod's "Sound Check" wasn't exactly the best but at least it mostly worked.  Hopefully someone in the Plenue D thread will be able to offer some advice.

Now that I have a hi-res player I look forward to checking out other things through Head-Fi, like a nice pair of headphones and speakers, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'll probably be spending way too much money on :p

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #3,918 of 15,536
Hi everyone,

I'm from Brazil and I love music, specially rock and roll, hip hop,blues and jazz. I'm tired of basic headphones that come with cell phones and I hope to learn more about the audiophile universe so I can enjoy music even more.

Music is universal, it get people together, improve your mind state, make you feel better on a ****ty day, express your feelings in a unique way.... I love that and I'm sure you guys feel the same.

Regards.

Sent from my redmi2 pro

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #3,920 of 15,536
Howdy Sektor7G,

Are you waiting for the Sennheiser ends on a slow boat from China, or for phone plugs? I ask because I was also planning to build some custom cables for my HD 650 and have a few extras that I managed to get fairly cheap (turned out the reason they were cheap is because they had labeled them incorrectly... 'R' on the black connector, 'L' on the red). I think I paid $7 a pair for those nice large metal connectors (I got 5 pairs, I think, and one is for my project). Anyway, if you are in the USA and those other connectors are going to take a while to get there, I could sell you a set or three if you're interested.

Otherwise, welcome and I look forward to a post detailing your cable build (I hope)! I really could use a few tips for getting any wires attached to those tiny surface mount 3.5mm plugs that seem to be the only thing you can find in 4 conductor (trrs) plugs these days.

Hello N0Box:

Yes, I am waiting on the boat! Right now I have 2 pairs of the metal ones coming and 4 pairs of the sandwich style (Red,Blue,Clear, and Black) they were 4 pairs for $4.95.  They should be here soon. I might take you up on the offer for the metal ones if the 18ga experiment works out. I already finished my Canare cable and I have to say I came out pretty nice. I might build a second set to sell on eBay. I would love to post some pics of the finished cable but my account does not have permissions to post pics yet. As far as the TRS plugs is concerned I used 1/4 TRS from NEUTRIK http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-np3x-b-plug-1-4-stereo-black-gold--092-320?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla since I will probably never use a 3.5mm connector on these headphones. I do understand what you are talking about because I did the SonyMDR 7506 cable mod similar to this https://eciov.com/recommendations/audio/sony-mdr-7506-iphone-mod-for-detachable-cables/ I remember soldering the 3.5 connector was a bit of a challenge but not difficult, the trick is to get an adapter with easy access solder tabs like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-3-5mm-male-adapter-Pailiccs-Jack-Plug-Stereo-Audio-Cable-Connector-DIY-/311112901717?hash=item486fc62455:g:RwIAAOSwd4tUKh8H As soon as my permissions for posting pics are approved I will post a pic of my builds. Thanks for your response N0BOX, talk to you soon.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #3,924 of 15,536

Hello my name is TakTak59 and i am a audioholic and especially an headphone addict (make me feel like a AAA member).
Anyway here comes some of my little babies: TH900, HD600, Oriolus MK2, Zana Deux SE, Fostex HP-A8C, Onkyo DP-X1, DUNU DN-2000.
Hope you will help me to get more and more and more....

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,925 of 15,536
Hello everyone.
My name is nyuma.I like headphone, PCDP and vintage staff.
My favorite headphones  Victor STH-2, Napolex CTX-3, AKG K60,Aiwa HP-V7, SENNHEISER HD-600

I have a question about my profile. it is hidden now.. What should I do to turn on my profile?

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,926 of 15,536
Hi everybody, I am Filip and I am from Wroclaw, Poland.

I'm in that business for about 2 years. :) I listen to classical music and some jazz. I am a fan of STAX and use 007 MK1 and Lambda Signature. I think their sound is much more natural than dynamic phones. But I like for example HD565 and use them with FiiO X5.1 which I think is a great synergy on a couch.

Best Iems are FLC8s and ER-4s

See you around :)

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #3,927 of 15,536
Hi everyone, my name is Alex and I'm from Indonesia. I'm an noob audioholic but have been appreciating music for nearly all my life.

Just ordered my first DAP and my CIEM to follow next week.
And hopefully it will satisfy my need before purchasing a high end headphone.

Music I listen to includes heavy metal, hard rock, hip hop, pop and dance.

Thank you

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #3,929 of 15,536
Hi everyone :)

Been around for ages, finally got the account, love listening and making music, guitar player and Hi-Fi freak...

Just got LG V10 and ATH-R70x...beyond crazy how this combo sounds, and best thing...it's a mobile phone!!!

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #3,930 of 15,536
Hiya,

I've loved music for a long time, but have only been involved in the audiophile world for a short time. I've recently increased my amount of visits on this website so I can make the right choice for my first proper audio devices, and decided to make an account while I'm at it.

Previously, I've only used IEMs and the like, and am currently running the Sennheiser CX300II, but I would like to make the switch to Beyer DT 770s soon.

I prefer listening to symphonic, melodic death, technical death and thrash metal, and also like some rock and pop stuff. I also tend to like pop if it's foreign stuff, so think Korea or Japan. I'm terrible at choosing a favourite song and am also terrible at describing my musical tastes when someone asks me for them, because they tend to be quite eclectic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back