New Member Introductions thread
Jun 24, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,782 of 15,551
  hey guys, new here, this forum seems to be really popular! hoping to get some good advice.

on that note,

im looking for a portable dac/amp setup thats not too bulky, anyone can give a hand?

Welcome to Head-Fi!

There are a lot of choices out there, but there is one that I really like that makes a very small footprint and won't break the bank as it costs $99 shipped.  Here's a link of the review thread of the CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778966/review-centrance-dacport-slim-dac-amp-combo.

Be on the lookout for the DACportable as well, but it does cost more but has an internal battery so you won't have to connect it to an external battery pack such as the DACport Slim needing to do so for total portability.

I'm sure you may find something else that will work for your budget and wants/needs as well.

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #3,785 of 15,551
  Hi guys, new member here. Im now using Hifiman HEK and need some advice on upgrade cable here.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Very nice headphone you have!

I can suggest the cable I bought, as I'm quite happy with it. But I think it would be better to let you know that cables are a topic that have many options and bring out diverse opinions. So instead, here are the two threads in which I would suggest you do a little digging:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship
http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread

Best of luck!

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #3,787 of 15,551
Hi I'm Nabsterishi! I just posted a question about amp-iem combos. Really learnt a lot by lurking here the last few weeks. Hope to learn some more from this interesting community of audiophiles!
Take care! Music is life! Jah bless!

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,788 of 15,551
Hey everyone, Emilio here. Been lurking this site for what seems like ages and finally made an account. Main reason I joined is so I have a place to get some input on a couple amps I'm planning to build. I'm a bit of a DIY guy so I've picked some older amps that caught my eye from a technical or aesthetic viewpoint. Not the best criteria but I've picked some pretty well known amps so I'm not too worried. The first is a Decware Zenhead and the second is a Cavalli CTH. I'll also most likely grab parts for a CMOY when I'm buying components for the other amps. Hope to get some input and advice from the group along the way!

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,790 of 15,551
Hello everyone. Michael here. I am new to the site and new to well really paying attention to my headphones as like most of us at one point we just bought them to listen to and thought nothing else of them. However, due to the explosion in the market of bluetooth portable headphones and the fact my last 2 pair one ear has stopped working over bluetooth I find myself on the forums to find headphones that wont crap out on me in 6 months or less.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,795 of 15,551
Hi guys, and a big thank you for this community.  I'm no electrical engineer (much less a sound engineer), so i'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.  I think you'd classify me as an enthusiast who knows enough to be dangerous but rarely right.

I have downsized considerably, mainly due to gifting away old cans to needy friends, so my only setup is a set of Beyerdynamic DT880's and a JDS O2 DAC/Amp.  I like all types of music from old be-bop, delta blues (I know...crappy recordings in killing room bars, but it's what I like to play myself) all the way to the other spectrum of IDM, 90's hip-hop and anything with good sub-sonics (Rocket 8's and a Rocket 10 sub are my home monitors).

Being a guitar guy, I'm pretty familiar with the differences in tubes, so I'm anxious to get my hands on a tube amp to discover how it differentiates my sound via tube rolling, and I'm in need of a replacement pair of the requisite HD600's I use as a reference.  Also looking for closed cans for work (MassDrop Fostex, looking at you...).

EQ'ing is also huge on my list of things to learn from you guys.

Thanks for letting me join, and thanks once again for having me.

-D

Users who are viewing this thread

• fliz
Back