New Member Introductions thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #3,137 of 15,539
Greatings Head-Fi! Long time reader, first time poster here from Alameda CA. Can't wait to jump into this wonderful community. 

Welcome to head-fi, I hope you find the answers to any question you may have. I best advice is to look around and subscribe to any forum that interest you, and listen to what people have to say. Furthermore research the topic, that catches you, so you can focus any questions you might have.:)

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #3,139 of 15,539
I'm just starting to dig into the headphone world, and I keep landing on this site. Figure I might as well create an account and dive all the way in.

Be careful with your wallet. 
gs1000.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #3,140 of 15,539
Hi there,

New head-fi'er here.
I'm from Germany and I'm sort of into head-fi mainly because of practical reasons.
I have a rather long commute to work (about 45 mins with public transportation) and I love to have the opportunity to use this time to listen to music and read the newspaper or occasionally a book.

So my (portable) "Gear-History" would be like:
I began, probably like many here, with a Sony Walkman (the yellow one which was waterproof), I've had several Walkmen after that, the best one was from Aiwa, I still have him and he's still working :). When MP3's became a thing, I got my first ipod. Today they are called classic, but my first ipod was a 2nd Gen. So, no video here :)
That must be like 15 years ago? Feels like it was just the other week :)
I've had many ear- and headphones since. Nothing really worth mentioning.
My first serious headphones, where I actually decided to spend some money on, where a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 II. I think like 7-8 years ago. I still have and use them.
Then I bought a pair of UE Triple.Fi's. They sounded great, but where horrible to wear. So I had them remolded at inearz (Fisher Audio) in 2011 or 12. I love them. They've done outstanding Work.
Later I bought, as I went through the following ipod iterations, a pair of Westone W4r (have them since 2013. And now, since warranty is void, they're going to inearz to be remolded as well) and last year a pair of v-moda crossfade m-100. They are also great. I know, many audiophiles don't like their V-shaped frequency line, but they're just what I was looking for. And also last year, I bought, since the real ipod isn't existent any more, the Fiio X1. Great little device. I also bought a DAC/Amp Combo. The Soundblaster E5. I think it's a great combo. The X1 being the minimalistic thing just like my Rockboxed ipods used to be. And the E5 being a feature packed multitool. I can also use it as a soundcard on my gaming laptop. It has integrated Bluetooth (just in case I want to use my Smartphone via aptx), Microphones, 2 headphone Jacks and the Soundblaster central app and Windows program. Something really unique among dac/amp combos, I think. And they're, as all my gear somehow has to be, affordable.

I mostly listen to Rock Music (60s classic - 90s grunge). I like pearl jam, Nirvana, soundgarden, matchbox 20, stone temple pilots, system of a down and the like. I also have a thang for female vocalists like Alanis Morissette, Natalie Merchant, Sheryl Crow, Mylene Farmer and so on. I also like classic rock from Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd and so on. Too much to list them all really. I frequently listen to classical music, like operas, but that's really not that often. I have "the 100 best classical masterpieces" on my X1 though :wink:
I also listen to Charts, like the new Adele Album (have I mentioned that I have a thang for female singers?).
But subsequently I think it's important to me that I feel like the music is handmade by some actual musicians with real instruments and not only on the computer.

I usually use MP3's in 320 VBR (High Quality) and M4A's from iTunes. But since I purchased a DAP able to play lossless I also re-ripped some of my dearest CD's (like the MTV unplugged with the 10000 maniacs) and saved them as FLAC on my X1. But, to tell the truth, my ears seem to be not really audiophile enough to really tell a noticeable difference to justify the 10-times larger file size. Well, it probably my "cheap" gear :)
Maybe when I'm having the opportunity to listen to some higher end gear and I really hear a noticeable difference a spend a little more money, but right now I think I'm set.

Well, I think that's about it. A rather long introduction I think. I hope you don't mind. :)

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #3,141 of 15,539
Hi Head-Fi'ers, It's Ian from Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I've been reading a lot on this forum so I thought I'd subscribe.

I'm in the beginning of my 30's, listening mainly to classical and jazz. I like open over ear headphones, I've got a Sennheiser HD 595 (1st headphone) and just bought a Beyerdynamic T90. 

I like building things, I'm completing my O2 headphone amplifier (it's working but I'm working on the desktop housing) with an integrated raspberry Pi + DAC + pro music server with web interface. I'll post a summary of the build some time in the future. 

Future plans include a headphone tube amp.

Well that's basically it, I hope to find a good time here on the forum!

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #3,142 of 15,539
Even though I don't know what you mean by IED I suppose you mean the K845s.
The source isn't as important with bt phones,as long as the files or the stream is Good quality the quality of the cans will be the most important. So to make it short the kind of player, be it phone, DAP or something else, as long as it offers Bluetooth it's the same.
I don't use them for sport, when running I use cheap and light IEMs atm sennheiser cx300. I don't like heavy over ear headphones for sport.

Sorry, I meant IEM's, too many abbreviations these days and I'm covering too much differing technology at the same time LOL.

Yes, I wasn't so much asking what you use them with, I'm focused on how you use them as to if you're just casually sitting around or on the move, changing environments, hiking up a mountain etc. I'm waiting until I read good feedback on bluetooth companions, especially where people are on the move and probably exercising one way or another (in the gym or out on a bike for eg), to know that the BT link/stream is a solid one and won't keep getting washed in and out, or that the volume is muted etc. Getting rid of cables without loss of cable quality is what I'm aiming for :)

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #3,143 of 15,539
  Hi Head-Fi'ers, It's Ian from Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I've been reading a lot on this forum so I thought I'd subscribe.

I'm in the beginning of my 30's, listening mainly to classical and jazz. I like open over ear headphones, I've got a Sennheiser HD 595 (1st headphone) and just bought a Beyerdynamic T90. 

I like building things, I'm completing my O2 headphone amplifier (it's working but I'm working on the desktop housing) with an integrated raspberry Pi + DAC + pro music server with web interface. I'll post a summary of the build some time in the future. 

Future plans include a headphone tube amp.

Well that's basically it, I hope to find a good time here on the forum!

You're not the only Dutchie here. Welkom, en veel luistergenoegen. :wink:

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,144 of 15,539
Hi. My name is Sergey and i live in Russia. I'm a fan of audio LOMO Kinap .
LOMO company is well known in Russia and abroad. Founded in 1914 ,
 30 years lomo proivodit equipment for scoring film , amplifiers, speakers , and more for the cinema industry of the military industrial complex.
 LOMO one of the best film productions in Russia .
Almost half of the production is exported to USA, Canada , Germany, Austria , Israel and other countries .
LOMO system that awarded the ISO 9001 quality certificate TUF ( Germany ) for civilian production and "Oboronsertifica" ( Russian ) military
 it's rare VINTAGE QUALITY 50 years of production.
And I would like to tell people about it.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,147 of 15,539
Hello, my name is Jared.  I've been a lurker of head-fi forums since 2008.  It all started when I purchased the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5.  Back when I was in college, this was a pretty big investment, but well worth it.  After reading so many of the reviews on these forums, I knew I had made the right choice.  Eventually, I upgraded to Triple.Fi, then to the Westone 3's, and back to the Triple.Fi.  Since you couldn't just go to a store up the road and test these earbuds, I relied on the reviews of users like yourself to aid my decision.  I recently was at CES and the innovations I saw on the audio front were amazing.  Since I'm in a better place where I can afford IEM's, I plan on posting reviews.  I recently received a pair of Echobox's Finder X1 earbuds.  I hope to post a review of them by next week.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3,148 of 15,539
Been lurking for a while and just thought I would say hello, I'm not a spam bot. 
cool.gif

Recently doing some research on amps to compliment my Zodiac+ to get the most out of that fantastic DAC. Using the Antelope for studio mastering purposes, so need something that's mostly neutral, that I may also be able to get away with using for "leisure" listening.

Anyways, happy to be here!

--- Jeff

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3,149 of 15,539
Welcome to head-fi, I hope you find the answers to any question you may have. I best advice is to look around and subscribe to any forum that interest you, and listen to what people have to say. Furthermore research the topic, that catches you, so you can focus any questions you might have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well done, Reddog.  New folks - you will do well to listen to this experienced professional.

beerchug.gif

RCB

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #3,150 of 15,539
Hi guys...new to the site. I own a broken set of sure 215 that I'm currently trying to repair and a working set of v-moda m-100's. They're missing a hinge screw that can't be replaced - but other than that they are in great shape and sound incredible. 

I love this site - I've consulted it for years but never needed an account until now.

Anyway, hi all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back