New Member Introductions thread
Feb 4, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3,121 of 15,533
Hi,

As someone else (OK, many others) just mentioned, I'm new member here, expanding from other areas of audio.  Have been focused for many years on my home system and also on a collection of vintage stereo receivers.

Seems like a great time to become involved in the headphone world!

Regards,

Matty

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #3,122 of 15,533
Hello, my name is Maurilio and I live in Brazil.

I have always loved music and became addicted in headphones in the last couple of years... Head-fi was a great sponsor for this addiction, now time has come for me to be a part of it!!!

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #3,123 of 15,533
  Good Morning Everyone!

Firstly, a big thanks to the Head-Fi team and all of the sites contributors. Being new to the world of headphones, this site has really helped me understand the possibilities available with headphone rigs.

As this is an introduction then maybe a bit of background on myself....

I love music and hi fidelity playback, always have. Since I was 18, and worked in a small electronics shop, I've always had a passion for hifi (I'm now 45) and it's been great.

I now find myself living in an environment where having a full size hifi is not possible. I live on an island off of the East coast of Malaysia and whilst it's very beautiful it isn't the sort of place where a full size setup is acceptable, therefore (as I'm missing the music so much) I've decided to take a trip to Singapore and take the plunge on a high end headphone rig. 

Without the information on this site then I would be rather lost and so thanks once again!

I look forward to my move into the world of personal hifi!

Would be interesting to know what range of products are available in S'pore. Can't be certain but often feel those of us in Asia can't exactly follow or test out what a lot of members here have access to.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #3,124 of 15,533
  So, then I'm going to abuse this thread for my introduction, too 
dt880smile.png

To be honest it's a little bit intimidating to become an active member, everywhere you look people with a plethora of awesome headphones, and oneself just owning some basic stuff ^^
But I'm going to try anyway!
For a long time I've been very happy with my Sennheiser HD 555, but after well over ten years of use they started to fall apart and I had to decide if to repair them or try something new. So I stumbled upon Head-Fi. After a lot of consideration a quite nice offer on ebay got me the AKG Q701 for a nice price, which of course let to the necessity of getting an amp to drive them right ^^ 
Furthermore I tried various IEMs over the years to listen to my music while commuting, lately I discovered the convenience of bluetooth Headphones and after trying many Bluetooth Headphones ended up with the AKG K845 which are the best bt headphones I heard to date.
As one can see by the brands I chose I have a very teutonic taste, perhaps because I'm german? ^^
To complete my introduction, a little List of gear:
- Sennheiser HD555
- AKG Q701
- AKG K845
- TDK IE-800
- FiiO E18
My next purchases will be probably a Schiit stack with Vali 2 (just because tubes look cool xD) and a Sennheiser HD650.

PS: Don't fear for my HD555, of course I will overhaul them! How could I part with the phones which served me well for over 10 years and still do so, except for worn earpads and cable which was caught too often between the floor and my desk chair :wink:

You've got the AKG BT IED's - can I ask how do you use them, sat on a bus, exercising, etc. What makes them good? Are they good for just a music player, or more for a phone? Any other info?

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #3,128 of 15,533
It's great to see so many new people posting and joining the community. I still feel like I am brand new here, mainly because there is so much to see, read and learn.
Welcome aboard everyone. My advice to your right off the bat is to dive in, start posting, read, ask questions and have fun.

See you all around!
HE7

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #3,129 of 15,533
Hi, I'm James...

I've been interested in headphones (earbuds, really) since about 2004. Started out with an iPod 40GB and the first iteration of apple earbuds, but moved quickly to some Shure E2 (I think), which served me well until 2010, when the wires began to fray.

From the Shures, I went to a pair of Klipsch S4i, and appreciated the improved sound, which I recall as being brighter and somewhat more detailed than the Shures. The Klipsch lasted about a year before those cables began to fray, and after much research here, I bought a pair of Monster Miles Davis Trumpets on Amazon.

The jump in sound quality from the Klipsch to the Trumpets was amazing, but after 1 year with those, the right earbud failed and since I bought from an 'unauthorized' retailer, there was no warranty. I loved the sound, though, and had a coupon at one of the authorized retailers, so I bought a second pair of Trumpets. After 8 months, the left earbud failed and I got them replaced under the warranty. I lost the third pair on a business trip to Costa Rica.

By then, early 2015, the Trumpets had been discontinued, so I researched a bit and bought the B&W C5s, and that was the first time I bought a new pair of earbuds that I was disappointed with. The sound is much thicker and muddier than the Trumpets, and the C5s just will not stay in my ears. After only 3 months, the right earbud failed and I got them replaced via warranty, and I've lived with the nonexistent fit and muddy sound for about as long as I can stand.

So I hope to find some good recommendations. I mostly listen direct from the iPhone 5 at work to a wide variety of music.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,130 of 15,533
  It's great to see so many new people posting and joining the community. I still feel like I am brand new here, mainly because there is so much to see, read and learn.
Welcome aboard everyone. My advice to your right off the bat is to dive in, start posting, read, ask questions and have fun.

See you all around!
HE7

Well.. I have to ask, since you've been here a while.. lol how many posts does a new person need before they can start threads? I know the mods have to approve the thread first too, but it hasn't happened yet, so I was wondering if there was a post count requirement as well.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3,131 of 15,533
You've got the AKG BT IED's - can I ask how do you use them, sat on a bus, exercising, etc. What makes them good? Are they good for just a music player, or more for a phone? Any other info?

Even though I don't know what you mean by IED I suppose you mean the K845s.
The source isn't as important with bt phones,as long as the files or the stream is Good quality the quality of the cans will be the most important. So to make it short the kind of player, be it phone, DAP or something else, as long as it offers Bluetooth it's the same.
I don't use them for sport, when running I use cheap and light IEMs atm sennheiser cx300. I don't like heavy over ear headphones for sport.

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #3,134 of 15,533
Hello! My name is Brady! A good friend introduced me to high quality music listening, and he also has an account here on Head-Fi, as well - I decided to jump on the same wave length and discover more about audio. 

Pumped and Plugged In! 

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3,135 of 15,533

Well.. I have to ask, since you've been here a while.. lol how many posts does a new person need before they can start threads? I know the mods have to approve the thread first too, but it hasn't happened yet, so I was wondering if there was a post count requirement as well.

Sorry, don't know but it's on the Home page with all the other site requirements.  Welcome - 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back