New Member Introductions thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #706 of 15,646
Oh I suppose I should make an appearance here, I'm new.
I'm not sure how much I have to input at this time. I'm pretty much clueless on all this audio stuff...so I'm basically here for information.
If I see anything I might actually be able to help with though I'll give it a try.

Thanks to everyone here though. I might be new but I can see a lot of time has gone into posting a billion different (and probably useful) things here.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #707 of 15,646
  I'm building a rig my self, not like some super computer but just an i5 and some other quality parts as far as the fans and psu. Just gonna start with 8gb ram and a 500gb ssd. I can get a good deal on a gtx 770 so im gonna go for that. And the rest of my money is going into my monitors DAC and eventually an amp with some HE-500s. What kinda audio equip do you own @Malloy 

Hey, I'm new here and might not know anything about audio but I'm not bad with PC hardware. If you'd like an extra opinion/input on your build I'd be willing to take a look. If you don't mind, what's your budget, what specific parts and prices are you looking at right now? Seems safe to assume a gaming rig in progress no?

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #708 of 15,646
@Eliterdso Yes I would like a lot of opinions from you on my build. It will be for gaming and video editing. Oh and of course music listening and production. I'm young without bills and I work a lot so I wanna get quality parts. So far what I plan on getting is: Intel i5 4690k, Asus GTX770, GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 (Motherboard), Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD, and 8 GB of 1866 Kingston RAM. I'm pretty much settled on the SSD and Motherboard (Have to have thunderbolt ports). 
Open for change for the CPU, RAM and GPU. I also am pretty much settled in for the CPU fan and the PSU I'm doing stuff from the brand BeQuiet. And I'm not getting a soundcard because I'm getting the Schiit Gungnir DAC.
I really need help selecting a keyboard and mouse, I haven't picked one out yet. And I appreciate you reaching out to me to help me out man.

And as far as budget, not trying to spend over 1500 but if its a good enough reason I will save up and get the part I need. Spending 1500 on a build because the speakers I'm using for the build are 600, and the DAC is like 800. ahahah at this rate I'll never be able to afford those HE-500's

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #709 of 15,646
Wanna say hi, my name is Yeo. Had a headfi account since the start of the year, but haven't really been active till about a month ago haha.

If anyone needs some help with Custom in ear monitors and cable pairings for them, feel free to let me know. There are plenty of demo units locally so I can audition and give my inputs if anyone needs them:)

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #710 of 15,646
Wanna say hi, my name is Yeo. Had a headfi account since the start of the year, but haven't really been active till about a month ago haha.

If anyone needs some help with Custom in ear monitors and cable pairings for them, feel free to let me know. There are plenty of demo units locally so I can audition and give my inputs if anyone needs them:)

You should go demo them all write up some reviews. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #712 of 15,646
  @Eliterdso Yes I would like a lot of opinions from you on my build. It will be for gaming and video editing. Oh and of course music listening and production. I'm young without bills and I work a lot so I wanna get quality parts. So far what I plan on getting is: Intel i5 4690k, Asus GTX770, GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 (Motherboard), Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD, and 8 GB of 1866 Kingston RAM. I'm pretty much settled on the SSD and Motherboard (Have to have thunderbolt ports). 
Open for change for the CPU, RAM and GPU. I also am pretty much settled in for the CPU fan and the PSU I'm doing stuff from the brand BeQuiet. And I'm not getting a soundcard because I'm getting the Schiit Gungnir DAC.
I really need help selecting a keyboard and mouse, I haven't picked one out yet. And I appreciate you reaching out to me to help me out man.

And as far as budget, not trying to spend over 1500 but if its a good enough reason I will save up and get the part I need. Spending 1500 on a build because the speakers I'm using for the build are 600, and the DAC is like 800. ahahah at this rate I'll never be able to afford those HE-500's

Welcome Puurple.... Regarding keyboard and mouse, I recommend the Logitech MX 3200 wireless keyboard (or variations) and the original Microsoft Trackball (ball on left side). No longer manufactured, but you can find these on eBay. They sought after because they are faster and more accurate than a mouse, take up less space, reduce wrist fatigue and enable quicker response.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #713 of 15,646

Sorry for the slow reply, I actually just had to go deal with a computer emergency. Failed PSU in my sister's PC. Had to harass my dad today too. Anyway...
Quickly want to address the KB issue, have you had any experience with mechanical keyboards? Most people that have tried them find they are better than the regular (rubber dome). There are several switch types that alter the feel of the keys, and you can do a little research into the various types. Typically though I find the browns (and reds) most recommended as the best all around but primarily gaming type. The biggest downside is cost, they are much more than a regular keyboard. Newegg has a Rosewill brand RGB80 programmable keyboard with blue or brown switches and backlight for around $100...seems to be the best budget option with features (you can get basic non programmable non lit mechanical in the $60-75 range). 

One of the things that caught my eye was the GTX770, I'm wondering why you would consider that card at this time? Unless it's under $200 it doesn't seem like a good choice. Normally the i5 would be a good pick, but there may be some saving on the SSD that would allow you to get the i7 and with that you would need less cooling (I'll explain) so possibly more savings there. That MOBO is actually pretty decent, has all the latest goodies and includes a good quality Intel NIC and the current best integrated ALC 1150 audio chip (even if you have another DAC). The TB ports are also not linked to the main PCI-E lanes from the CPU (tied to the Z97 chipset). Anyway overall that's not a bad build you have...but with some tweaks I think you could get faster parts squeezed in budget.

I'm also curious about your choice of BeQuiet!, what about them makes you want it? Most reviews say their PSU's aren't bad, but not that great either...while costing to much. Also despite the name they are not all that quiet.

Unfortunately I realized I can't post pictures or links or anything yet...so I'm just going for text. I'll use Newegg as the basic reference point since it has a vastly superior website. Once you know what you want though you can search Amazon etc to compare prices. So here's a parts list to fit the $1500 budget:

i7 4790K Has HT which may help with some of the encoding/editing work. Biggest thing is high stock clocks that negate need to OC, meaning good budget cooler is fine.
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO Best budget cooler, works great at stock speed and/or mild OC. Older 212+ (non evo) and 212 (non +) each slightly cheaper/worse.
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH I got no complaints about this choice.
16GB (2x8GB) 1866 CAS 10 1.5v low profile cooler (big heat-sinks pointless can cause clearance issues). Notice low CAS, standard 1.5v . Example HyperX Fury/G.Skill Ares
Nvidia GTX 970 nearly 50% faster and uses less power (so potentially less heat/noise) versus the GTX 770. Simply far superior and ~350$
512GB Crucial MX100 compares very well to the 840 EVO and has been a reliable brand, but with much lower prices. This allows the upgrade to 4790k
EVGA SuperNova GOLD 750w (not the new bronze) plenty overkill, great reviews and doesn't even start fan until high temps (silent with light workloads, loud at max heat/load)
Other options for PSU as well, like Antec EDGE 750w. Again, quiet at low load and your system wont push a 750w really hard so they wont hit max fans/noise.
Corsair 450D Great mid level case, moderate cost, good build quality, good stock fans, can run quiet with good fan control on all parts for light work and stay cool when maxed

Without price shopping (just newegg) this puts the budget right at $1500. You could save $70-80 with only 8GB RAM but the extra may be useful with encoding/editing etc. You could save some going with the i5 and trying your hand at manually overclocking (the i7 base clock is faster than the i5 boost). You'll need to spend more on cooling though. For a higher level gaming system I don't think you should get less than a GTX 970...if you did need to save money the next best option would be an AMD R9 290 (non x) as they run just under $250. Not quite as fast and they use a lot more power (so more noise/heat). The AMD cards do have some possible benefits (especially super resolution multi-card setups), but I'm assuming you are running a single standard resolution monitor (1080 1440 1600). I don't know what you had planned for the PSU, but needed to include one in the budget...so I chose a high quality option with a partially silent mode. Even maxed out though this unit was rated quieter than the equivalent BeQuiet PSU. I figured I needed to include a case in the budget as well, so I went for a good all around option. There are cases designed more for silence, while this one is more bang for the buck and cooling potential. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to dominate your build...I just didn't get a very detailed response (and this didn't seem like the place to discuss it in depth) so I decided to fill out what I would consider a good system for the listed budget. You can do whatever you want from here, take a few of my suggestions or none at all. If there are some parts you are already set on that wont fit into this budget/build and would like me to try to alter the build to work I'd probably be willing to do that. Sorry I couldn't post links, normally I would add some benchmark numbers, copy some quotes, and provide direct links to the parts I was looking at...but I dont have the post count/reputation here yet for all that. And this is an audio forum...not to sure what they'll think about all this computer hardware encroaching.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #714 of 15,646
Thinking about it, I didn't include the keyboard, mouse, or OS in the budget. I'm guessing I should do that. I have a feeling that with some price shopping those could probably squeeze in, but I'll take a look tomorrow after I get some sleep. I'm not sure if you already have a display or need one included in the budget or not. And I'm curious, how much do you know about PC hardware? Like do you know how to identify which SATA ports come from the Intel chipset and which come from additional controllers? Or how to setup AHCI mode for the SSD (vs IDE mode) before installing a new OS? I've kinda been talking like you're new because I couldn't quite tell how experienced you were. I don't mean to be rude.

Edit: Hey I just saw a deal pop up on Newegg. SeaSonic X-1250 for $140 after code and rebate. This thing is so dumb crazy overkill for a single CPU/GPU build (overkill for dual GPU)...but $140 is a dumb crazy price too. It's normally $100 more, and for around the same price as a good 750-850 watt unit it seems like a no brainer. It has a partially fanless mode too, Edit: Found a good review, it will only do 100watt silent then gets moderately loud. A bit disappointing actually. Still a great deal for a high end 1250w.

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #715 of 15,646
Hi All.. 
As far as intro goes, I am new to Audiophile , in search of a great headset. Never own any serious ones yet, I was interested in the ATH-M50x but I know found out (here) that  new model ATH-MSR7 are lurking around the new year . So I am at a stand still.

My music fall in the sound of: Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Techno, Trance, Yanni!, and the occasional NightWish.  Too many styles and I figure a single headset can not drive them all to perfection. Maybe you gents can give some examples of what may fall close to my needs..

Thank you all and this site is full of info!...

On another thread here someone shared a FLAC from Pink Floyd and explained that he heard pops & scratches coming from the song.. Someone else confirmed this, I tried to listen for those pops and scratches on my low end headset and nope either I am deaf or my equipment is so bad that I will be amazed whenever I upgrade!! lol

Take care all

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #716 of 15,646
Guys would anyone here have any experience with Shure 840 headphones? I am very new decent headphones so i dont know much about any of them. So far i have Audio Technica ATH-D40FS, V-Moda M80, Sennheiser hd558 with the foam mod, Turtle Beach PX22 and a set of Cooler Master Ceres 500. The Ceres 500 I got took out of the box tried them once and put them back away in the box because the Turtle Beach PX22 were way better. But as soom as I tried the Audio Technica ATH-D40FS i realized the PX22 are really nowhere nears even mid grade. The M80 definitly sound better to me than the ATH-D40FS. And now the hd558 beats them both IMO. But I still feel they are lacking in the bass dept. I want a set of headphones that sound at least as good as the HD558 but with more bass. I don't want the bass to overpower the mids and hogjs of course but want something you can feel. Would anyone know if those Shure 840 would be something worth looking at? I can get a like new set for very short money. But since i already have a bunch of headphones that i am going to have to sell once i find the right set i dont want to keep buying blindly. I was interested in the BeyerDynamics DT880 or 990 250ohm maybe. But i jeard someone say that the DT770 would be a better choice for gaming and also for people who like good strong bass. My main interests are gamong and some music. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be willing to steer me in the right direction.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #717 of 15,646
Hello Everyone,

My name is Dominick and I have always been obsessed with Hi-Fi and hight quality sound. I am so in love with this stuff, that I am actually writing my College Thesis on the history of Hi-Fi and the headphones. 

I have been reading posts on this site for years, but just decided to join as a member.

If anyone has any suggestions on things I should cover in my project, please let me know, I don't bite.

Thanks again,

Dominick Profaci

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #718 of 15,646
Long time lurker finally joining in!

I am not an audiophile, but I appreciate good headphones thanks to my picky ears. I listen to a broad range of music, and some of my favorites are the Smiths, Daft Punk, the Script, Muse, Norah Jones, One Republic, Regina Spektor, and Sam Smith being the newest to my list. I exclusively listen to IEMs due to their small form factor and isolation, and have gone through:

Sony MDR-EX51 (Cheap IEM I picked up repulsively)
Sennheiser CX300 (4.5 star on Amazon? I'll take it.)
Sennheiser CX400 (It's got a bigger number, so it should be better, right?)
Meelectronics A151 (OMG Balanced armature! I can hear timbre!)
Meelectronics M-Duo (Fantastic pair for commute)

And now I am considering to give Yamaha EPH-100 a try.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #719 of 15,646
Long time lurker finally joining in!

I am not an audiophile, but I appreciate good headphones thanks to my picky ears. I listen to a broad range of music, and some of my favorites are the Smiths, Daft Punk, the Script, Muse, Norah Jones, One Republic, Regina Spektor, and Sam Smith being the newest to my list. I exclusively listen to IEMs due to their small form factor and isolation, and have gone through:

Sony MDR-EX51 (Cheap IEM I picked up repulsively)
Sennheiser CX300 (4.5 star on Amazon? I'll take it.)
Sennheiser CX400 (It's got a bigger number, so it should be better, right?)
Meelectronics A151 (OMG Balanced armature! I can hear timbre!)
Meelectronics M-Duo (Fantastic pair for commute)

And now I am considering to give Yamaha EPH-100 a try.

Welcome "tomato punch". If you have picky ears, then you already have a key audiophile trait. To locate the best equipment options, I would suggest you type the name, in the head-fi search bar of the piece of equipment you are considering. This should pull up reviews or impressions about the quality and value of that item. Years ago, when I began my interest in audio gear, I favored IEMs. Later I tried upper end headphones and amplifiers with consistent favorable feedback on head-fi.. and difference was incredible!
Again.. Welcome to head-fi and enjoy your adventure in audio-- :D

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #720 of 15,646
Welcome "tomato punch". If you have picky ears, then you already have a key audiophile trait. To locate the best equipment options, I would suggest you type the name, in the head-fi search bar of the piece of equipment you are considering. This should pull up reviews or impressions about the quality and value of that item. Years ago, when I began my interest in audio gear, I favored IEMs. Later I tried upper end headphones and amplifiers with consistent favorable feedback on head-fi.. and difference was incredible!
Again.. Welcome to head-fi and enjoy your adventure in audio--
biggrin.gif

Yes! It is actually the head-fi reviews that made me decide for my next IEM. 
wink.gif

I like both M-Duo and A151, but I'm looking for something in between as I find M-Duo a bit too heavy in bass and wished A151 had a tad bit more rumble. As I'm willing to pay more, a more refined sound would be a huge plus. I was on borderline between EPH-100 and FXT10, but reading that M-Duo actually resembles FXT10's signature, I turned away.

And as I finish ordering, I read about Final Audio Design Heaven II...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back