New Member Introductions thread
Aug 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #361 of 15,524
Hello,
I am new here as well although I have been checking this website anytime I wanted to upgrade my gear !
Currently I am using an ibasso DX100 and fitearToGo 340 IEM. I am looking to upgrade for one of the new AK120 II or AK240 even though I am not certain the price differential is worth the gain in sound quality. Hope that I will be able to find some advice here.

Cheers,
Erik

Welcome to Head-Fi, Erik! I am sure you will find knowledgeable people who own both of them to give an in depth analysis of both AK devices. With that said, I demoed both the AK120 II and the AK240, and to my ears, the AK240 was not worth the additional increase in price it commands. If money is no object, the Chord Hugo sounds better than any of the DAP's I've heard, including the AKs. Good luck!

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #362 of 15,524
Hi guys, 

I'm not exactly new here, I lost access to an old account of mine but it's been a while since I last visited the site, so I'm looking forward to contributing and fun discussions with u guys!

Cheers

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #363 of 15,524
Hi, 
I'm interested in the audiophile movement. Am a young man who just started college. Any young Audiophiles in the House to interact? Already made friends with one excellent member. More info about me can be found on this link:
 ​
Thank you.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #364 of 15,524
Dear All,

My name is Luís and I am a novice in these matters.

I've been thinking about getting the Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. 

However, I would like to confirm that it is a good choice for a great listener of classical music and opera. 

I would also like to confirm me whether it is a good pair of headphones to use with my MacBook Pro. If tyes, should I acquire some amp?

Kind regards,

Luís

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #365 of 15,524
Hello!

I'm new to the community but not terribly new to headphones in general. I actually made an account to see if anyone else ran into my problem with a pair of Sennheiser PXC-450's where the pressure fitting that holds the earcup to the hinge got weak and is no longer holding together, and what I could do to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help on where I could direct this question or just a greeting. I used this site a lot when I was starting looking at headphones that cost more than 25 bucks.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #366 of 15,524
Hi guys and girls! I'm Jeff - another fresh member. I just joined this forum to get some answers and have some fun chatting about my addiction - music :)
I listen mostly to electronically made stuff - no matter for exact genre really. I also do produce - and again - almost anything if electronic.
Um... ye. I ran out of ideas. That's all then! Great to join you all :) See you in other topics!

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #367 of 15,524
Hi all,

Probably should have posted in here first, but oh well!

Any old hands and regular posters reading? Thanks. I appreciate all the info you put up on here.

About me? Former semi-pro guitarist, music fan who always enjoyed good quality audio, but too poor/lazy to be a true audiophile. I gather that's a dirty word for some - pah! The pursuit of excellence is a worthy goal in any field! (Mind you, in many cases, it does seem funny to spend tens of thousands of pounds to accurately replicate one man and a charity shop acoustic guitar with four strings, lol)

My main set-up is MA Bronze floorstanders (with centre, rear bookshelves and sub completing a 5.1 set-up), fed by an ailing Denon AVR-2803. I kid you not - surprisingly better than Nad amps (at a price where you could buy an additional decoder) for music in stereo. Even the guy in the shop was surprised we'd found such a musical AV receiver.

Now, my OH doesn't share my passion for music and I realised that I listen to 90% of my music in my office. The set-up consists of an iMac feeding mostly ALAC into a cheap Lindy DAC, her Denon UD M-50 that I've adopted and my old AKG K271 studios that I used to use for monitoring/mixing. It's not baaad, but I know it can be a LOT better!

Hope to buy an O2 ODAC next week, followed by new phones the month after - maybe M100s, maybe HD600s - maybe just ATH M50X. We shall see...

I listen to Mastodon, Heaven's Basement and classic Guns N Roses, but also Miles Davis, Beethoven and Chemical Brothers...

(I've already posted in recommendations, but any advice welcome!)

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #368 of 15,524
Welcome, from a fellow mastodon fan 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Hope we can help you with your pursuits in being a true audiophile!

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #369 of 15,524
Hello All,

New member from sunny Miami. Not a true audiophile but share what most in here do: a passion for music and the equipment we use to experience it ( and to feel sorry for our wallets as well). I stumbled across this site recently, and WOW!!! I was immediately hooked. Look forward to many more posts..

Cheers!

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #370 of 15,524
Hi, I'm Chris from the New York City area and I am new to the forum.

I started digging around on the site because I've decided to upgrade my portable listening experience from iPod/iPhone playing 192k AAC files to a high resolution, serious audio player. After doing some reading and considering my needs (I hope), I ordered an Astell & Kerns AK120ii that will arrive on Monday.

Having pulled the trigger I'm getting a little nervous. For this much coin I expect that when I play my first FLAC or ALAC track that the heavens will open up...but I am not sure that is a realistic expectation.

Still, I just have to believe that even driving my current mid-range IEMs that the AK will be a lot different from my iPhone 5s.

I'll report back...

In the meantime, if anyone has experience to share, or thoughts about what a suitable IEM match would be for this unit I'd be very interested. I focus on IEMs because my portable listening happens primarily on a commute and noise isolation is important to me.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #371 of 15,524
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #372 of 15,524
Hello friends,

I've been lurking these forums for couple of months and decided to buy fidelio x1 (they are yet to come). I heard that the stock cable isn't that great so should I buy a new one? I mean would any local supermarket cable be better than the stock one?
I will run these from my computer without external sound card or amp and sometimes from ipod/android phone.
I would ask from fidelio thread if I could.

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #374 of 15,524
Hi, My name is Bert, i'm from Belgium.
I've been into headphones for some time now and love(d) this site as my primary resource for all information about all types of headphones.

Kind regards to everyone.

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #375 of 15,524
Panzo - vmoda cable gets recommended a lot. If you're in the UK, I like the look of epiphany acoustics. No experience of either.
The v-moda cable looks pretty cool but not sure if I'm willing to invested that much after the headphone purchase since I have to pay taxes + shipping. I'm living in Finland but thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back