New Member Introductions thread
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #12,241 of 15,536
Hello all

I live in Brighton & Hove city in the UK but in fact I am Irish and Canadian as well as British. I have been on this planet for quite a few years now but I don't think of myself in any category such as "middle-aged" or "old", I'm still just me, the same me that I've always been.

I've been using headphones for many years and I have quite a few pairs. I actually got my first pair in the early 80s I guess but it was in the 90s that I really got into them when I was living in a tiny flat in London (in North America that would be an apartment). The flat was a converted victorian town-house, as so many are in London and anything I did was heard by my neighbours. Playing music anything above a very low level would have been inconsiderate, so I used headphones. My regular use of them at that time led to me really growing to love listening to music with headphones actually and so today I have quite a few pairs.

Today I don't actually need to use headphones in my house which is detached and so I have the luxury of being able to play music pretty loud if I want, however I still do frequently use headphones because they have such a unique and focussed presentation compared with speakers.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #12,243 of 15,536
Hello everyone,

my name is Alex and I come from Italy. I'm here because I've been an audio geek for the last 3-4 years and I'm just now spending some money on some beginner gear. So far my configuration has been TinHifi T2 and Fiio X1, as recommended by a guru I met in Italian forums, Marco Bicelli, someone may know him as maurilio. I've tried building a DIY DAC (just for fun really, not expecting much) that I found online called JEDAC and my own spin of a CMoy amplifier. Both turned out pretty good, but nothing compared to commercial products, especially for the price!
Now I'm switching to a new setup: TinHifi T4 and E1DA 9038s. So far the T4 are really good, I'm enjoying them but I'm still waiting for the 9038s to arrive, can't wait!

I hope to see you around!

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #12,244 of 15,536
Hey new friends,

I'm obviously new here in regards to having an account. I've been lurking for about 2 years or so mainly reading the Schiit happened blog/forum. Historically, I roll with the home theater/loudspeaker crowds, my introduction to Head-Fi/Schiit being their Mani phono amp during research.

I'm really new to the high end headphone game (4 years ago I thought my Bose Soundsport pulse were good enough they still ain't bad for the gym) then I changed jobs went from an office to a cube and got some B&O H9i since I couldn't use speakers at work anymore. When Schiit released their package Asgard 2/Bifrost Multibit B-Stock I took the plunge and realized how much better things could be compared to using Bluetooth self powered. Next thing I know I've now ordered LCD-2 Closed and I'm hooked on a slightly less expensive variant of this audio hobby (plus I now have a 11 month old so loud home theater shenanigans happen less often).

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #12,246 of 15,536
Hello there !

First of all would you please excuse my english as it is a third language.

I read articles from this website from so long ago. But I've never posted. This is my first post and I'm 42 years old

My name is Xavier. Spanish name (Actually Antonio Xavier to be complete) and also an addict to sound.

My story began with a pair htm1 Solid speaker and a Yamaha subwoofer 25 years ago, when subfwoofers in a home system was considered as luxury.
Of course it was a second/ third hand.:sweat_smile:
Then I kepts on with cans as I realised I was sparing a lot of money in accoustic threatment.
I'm verry happy to write this first post on this amazing Forum and hope to meet great people with common interest.

The cans currently own:

Denon D7000
Grado RS1
Grado SR325
SEN HD650
Focal CLEAR

Have a good day.

Xavier
You're new to the forum but clearly not new to the hobby. :beerchug:

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #12,247 of 15,536
I'm Bob. I have always had a love for music, since a baby! In my 20's I subscribed to all the audiophile mags like Stereo Review, High Fidelity, Audiophile and loved to read reviews and eventually purchase beautiful music playing equipment.

Recently my Altec Lansing ACS31 speaker system stopped working. The musicality of these for dance music was amazing.

Several years ago I purchased a new Altec Lansing VS2621 2.1 Channel Speaker System as it was on sale and figured I'd have it when my older Altec's died.

I unpacked and setup, and there is NO SOUND from the right speaker (the one with the controls)!

After updating drivers and such, I realized I could plug the jack into my phone - still no right channel sound, so I believe it can only be a defective right speaker right out of the box!

Warranty is over and besides, when I called Altec they advised they were purchased by a new co and they only make wireless speakers and do not support the older Altec's. The original Altec co doesn't support these wired speakers so..

can anyone provide some insight on anything I might try to get the right speaker to work? I am not very confident on my skills, I know just the basics. And everything is hard wired. Is there a way to determine if it's just the headphone/sound in cable?

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #12,250 of 15,536
Hi!

Budding headphone enthusiast from Indonesia living in Japan here :)
With thin apartment walls a speaker system is out of the question, so will be sticking to headphones for the next few years.

Headphones:
  • Sennheiser HD600, HD800s
  • Sony MDR-Z1R, WH-1000XM3
  • Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm
DAC/Amp:
  • SMSL SU8, SP200
  • RME ADI-2
  • Luxman P-750u
I'm having some issues with my Luxman amp at the moment, hence joined this forum for suggestions :frowning2:
wow..that is one nice collection....

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #12,251 of 15,536
Hello all and thanks for approving my application. I'm Spawn and I live in Spain.
I've been reading the forum for the last five years and decided it was the right time to get a bit more involved. All the best!
Hi Spaiwn, welcome here :imp:

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #12,253 of 15,536
Hello from Wisconsin,

I've recently joined the hobby and am enjoying it very much. I have always been a music lover, but never took headphones seriously. I've always had car audio rigs and home theater. Working from home during the pandemic sent me looking for a good desk audio solution. I got my first real headphone (HD600) and the obligatory Schiit stack this summer. Since then I dove in head first.

I'm here to learn and have fun.

My gears:
HD600
Grado SR80
Moondrop Starfield
KZ ZSN Pro
Audeze LCD-X (recent purchase, may be sending back)
Hifiman Arya (on the way, thinking these will replace the LCD-X)

Ibasso DX300
ifi Hip DAC
Schiit Magni3+
Schiit Modi
Schiit Sys
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #12,255 of 15,536
Hi All,

I've been lurking on the forum for a little and decided that I liked the vibe around the place enough to join up.
I thought my first post should be to introduce myself so, I'm Martin, I'm 52 and I live in Ireland.

I'm a long time music lover and HiFi enthusiast but have only recently started to get into headphones (out of necessity for late night listening). I started with a pair of HD599 and a Canor hybrid headphone amp and have found myself really enjoying the headphone listening experience so am now looking to move upmarket.

Also under COVID restrictions portable music has become more important to me so I've been experimenting with IEMs too.

Looking forward to learning and sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back