New Member Introductions thread
Oct 21, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #11,930 of 15,547
Hello all,

I am new to audio, but definitely new to headphones. I was "forced" into the hobby due to everyone being at home, and refusing to listen to what I wanted all day long. Just purchased my first headphone system; Some MrSpeakers Eons, with a Schiit Vali/Modi stack. I am using Roon and a RaspberryPi for the source. Love it so far!

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,931 of 15,547
Hey there,

I’m very new to this hobby. Got into it accidentally when I was broke and bought a random pair of earphones (KzES4) since they were cheap on Amazon.Once I received them and played my first song on em, I was taken aback by the quality of sound being produced by these super cheap pair of Chinese earphones. Then I began looking more and more into audiophile equipment, lossless music, etc and now here I am!

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #11,932 of 15,547
Greetings to all!
I write from Italy and i'm sure i fit in here :relaxed:

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #11,933 of 15,547
Hi all,
I got into this hobby when my brother in law bought me a pair of dt990 250 Ohms in late May of this year. Since then I’ve tried the Thieaudio Legacy 3, KOSS Kph30i, KOSS Porta Pro, KOSS KSC75, DT880 600 ohms, Emu Teak, HD600, Yincrow X6, and now the Aurorus Borealis. It has been quite the journey.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #11,934 of 15,547
Hi all

I joined a couple of weeks ago, and been lurking a bit. Quite new to a lot of this, especially some of the terms used.

I've used various headphones for 30 years, across a range of basic home gear, first 80s boomboxes then midi systems and multiple walkman style cassette players (Walk..men? Walkmans?) I got into DAPs around 1999. I'd ordered a Creative Nomad Jukebox (4 whole Gb!!) which never turned up. The seller refunded it, then it was out of stock, so I never did get one. This was in the days when almost nobody was importing MP3 players into the UK and it seemed like a dirty word, associated with napster and piracy, so most mainstream brands were avoiding MP3 hardware. So I bought a grey import MP3 CD player, which was ok but a bit limited. Then in 2001 I splashed out a load of cash I could ill afford on a 20Gb PJB-100 which I thought was awesome. Until it died in 2004 and I replaced it with an iRiver H-140 which I used for years. Until one day I found myself just using my phone and ipad and the iRiver had been in the drawer for some time, so I ebayed it for quite a surprising amount.

Fast forward to now and I've had an Activo CT10 for a couple of weeks. It was on amazon for sub £150 and I couldn't resist. I like how it sounds, and I've now started re-ripping my CDs in FLAC.

I still regularly use my Senn MM70i IEMs I bought in 2011 and my Aurvana Live cans from 2010 on the CT10 while reading in bed. The Koss Porta Pros that came with the PJB still sound good but don't get a lot of use. I also use my Bose qc35ii while working. Irony: bought these to block out noise/distractions and play music in a large open plan office, and for flights... a few weeks before lockdown. Now I use them primarily as a headset for Teams calls working from home and in the infrequent intervals between meetings, to listen to stuff streamed from my work MBP.

I've just this morning ordered some Senn HD560s. Hoping the CT10 or my PC will drive them ok but if not I'll be forced to buy another gadget! :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #11,935 of 15,547
Hi everybody.
First off.
Headphone addict. For a long time.
But have only owned one set of proper cans at a time.
Now I am rocking my Mk 1 Momemtums on my phone while typing out his.
And on my nightstand resides a Stax SRM-252S and 003 mk 2 earspeakers.

Two days ago I got offered a set of Baby Stax. Still need to think about that one.
Especially since I'm drooling over their SRM-D10.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #11,936 of 15,547
Hi everyone.
Been in this hobby since i unboxed my skullcandy headphones when i was 12. Always saved up for something better and here i am rocking Audeze LCD-X, 58X and DT1770. My dac/amp is universal audio arrow sound interface and since i tried different pairings i like my stuff analytical.

long time fan of head-fi so it’s time to become a member. :)

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #11,939 of 15,547
Hi all,

I’ve been reading the forums for some time now, and don’t know why I haven’t made an account until now!

Have always been connected to music (in fact I work for a music distribution company), but only got into high-end audio in the last couple years.
My current setup is based around a Roon core, with a few speakerand a couple headphone listening stations around the house. Have a raspberry pie endpoint with a Zen DAC and a Drop CTH Amp where I usually listen to my MDR-Z1R; and in my home office I have another Zen DAC but connected to Drop’s THX AAA 789 Amp, where my daily driver is the HIFIMAN Ananda (have been wondering if I should upgrade to the Arya, but undecided yet).

Glad to join the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back