New Member Introductions thread
May 30, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #11,492 of 12,565

gnarwhale

New Head-Fier
Hi, new member here, making mandatory first post.

My headphone journey started with Etyomtic Research ER23 IEMs. Fantastic product, but the way you need to push them directly into your brain is uncomfortable. That moved me to Audio-Technica ATH-M40x monitors (added a Fulla 2), then to Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohm, then to Sennheiser 6xx (with a Darkvoice 336se), then to a BD DT 177x for my work desk.

I'm here to utilize the resale forum, looking to buy some Audeze LCD-2Cs. I usually frequent the Reddit r/AVexchange forum, but that seems to have dried up a bit. Ebay is full of new and overpriced gear, and Craigslist is a wasteland.

I've found that I'm not a fan of darker, laid-back sound. I like more lively, brighter, more detailed sound. I'd rather have a crashing cymbal and differentiated strings than rich vocals. I'd rather have separated bass sounds than booming. I don't think I care to meticulously maintain a Stax electrostat, so I'm eager to try a planar magnetic.

If you have a suggestion that I'm going in the wrong direction, I'd welcome feedback. Thanks for having me here.

May 30, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #11,493 of 12,565

ronhGA

New Head-Fier
A little late but just wanted to say hello to everyone here. Fell into this hobby a little less than a year ago and if you look at my signature you can tell it's been a hard fall indeed. You'll find that I've been commenting quite a bit on the LCD X lately as that and the XC are my newest acquisitions and I'm absolutely smitten with them both. I also joined up here to use the site as another research resource along with utilizing the marketplace as I'm not against buying used especially since I see my logical next step to be for flagships. My current interest going forward are the Verites & Empyreans.

May 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11,494 of 12,565

DB10

Head-Fier
Hi friend! You and I sound very similar--even in our decisions regarding gear. :)

I was looking at the Ztella and considering it as an addition to my Fiio M11 to unwrap MQA from Tidal played through my IMR R1 Zeniths.
Have you tried this, and, if so, how did it sound? Curious!

Welcome, and thanks for any tips.

-Chris

Hi Chri

I have the Ztella MQA and the sound is stellar, it consumes very few batterie and it is well constructed, I love it. The MQA worked flawlessly but now I have canceled my Tidal subscription because for me there is no difference (after A/B testing) in comparison with the same recording, no MQA version, it is only my impression. The truth is that I think that some recordings are better (the original file) in Tidal than in Spotify, but now I only have Spotify and some FLAC files. The great advantage is that you can use the USB DAC in your computer, your smartphone via UAPP...I totally recommend it.

Welcome and if you need anything else, contact me.

Greetings, David.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #11,495 of 12,565

Kona76

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm Michael K. (Kona 76), I have been reading and more reading on my existing components and where I want to be in the near future. This lead me to many questions that needed intelligent answers and that's why I'm here. I am certain I will find more than just answers to technical issues. I'm hoping for an education; and more reading.

May 31, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #11,496 of 12,565

fikuschris

New Head-Fier
Howdy!

I've generally spent my close listening time with loudspeakers, having found a great pair of B&W DM630i at a thrift store years ago. I've driven them with a few decent commodity 90s era amplifiers over the years and always been happy.

For headphones I have the NAD HP50 run through a DragonFly Black v1.5. This was great in an office environment, but now that I work from home exclusively I'm getting close to buying an open back headphone and a nicer DAC and amp. So far I've been looking at Sennheiser HD6x0s and Schiit, which seems like a very safe place to start. Curious what else folks like that might be similar value for performance.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #11,502 of 12,565

Enstage

New Head-Fier
Mostly new to this site. Recently bought Sonoma Model One's which are pretty cool, before that I was using Sennheiser 660S' with a Schiit stack. I've always liked high end audio, but don't really have much experience with some of the technical aspects of it (which generally interest me).

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #11,504 of 12,565

TheAuthor

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've been reading the forums for a while so I figured I would create an account of my own. Like everyone here, I'm a headphone and hi-fi lover. I got into the hobby some months ago, and now I'm committed to assembling a system that excels at both digital and vinyl music. I'm a software engineer, so my profession overlaps very little with audio and I do not claim to have any technical prowess on the field, so I'll do my best to keep an open mind. Anyways, thank you for reading my introduction!

Users who are viewing this thread