New Member Introductions thread
Mar 11, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #11,221 of 15,646
Alan here, from California. I’ve been lurking here for a very long time, finally decided to join the conversation. Became interested in personal hifi through pro music production, RME audio interfaces, Adam Audio studio monitors, Beyerdynamic headphones, etc. Really enjoying my Focal and Sennheiser cans powered by JDS and Schiit for casual listening.

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #11,222 of 15,646
Hello,

Marcello from Nevada. Longtime audio nerd, more recently falling in love with the world of headphones, head amps, DACs, High Res Audio. I have often searched gear topics and ended up on this site so I thought I would give it a shot and join.

Currently listening via:

Sources: Qobuz, AmazonMusicHD, Spotify, XM Radio, And the magic of Vinyl!

Amps/Dacs: LYR3/Bifrost2, IDSD Micro Black Label, SP200THX/D90, Dragonfly Red, and BTR 3 for Bluetooth on the go. (MCTH inbound, thought I would give it a shot for the sale price.)

Cans/IEM: Aeolus, Ananda, Aeon2C, 6XX, Polaris V2 iem and Last but not least Porta Pros with Yaxi pads.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 12, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #11,223 of 15,646
Hello,
I'm August from Pennsylvania. I've been a long-time lurker here for all the vintage reviews and recommendations. I'm a big fan of vintage headphones and other electronic gear. My daily drivers are a AKG K240 Sextett LP and a Sennheiser HD 580 Precision run through a Little Dot MKII or whatever vintage solid stage receiver is nearby (normally a lafayette or pioneer). I listen to a variety of sources from 8-track to 192 khz FLAC, though I'm partial to vinyl and would like to get into R2R at some point. Other commonly used 'phones would be my Realistic LV-10 (rebadged Koss hv/1a), K240 Sextett EPs, K240M, Sennheiser Momentum over-ear, and occasionally a Koss pro 4aaa. For portable music I use a Fiio X1 and cassette players in various degrees of repair. At some point soon I plan to get into planars and electrostats, if I can find a decent 'phone on the cheap.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #11,224 of 15,646
Greetings music lovers from the great state of Texas!

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and thank all those responsible for developing and managing a great forum. Unlike some, I've not been browsing or into the earphone hobby for long but after 20-30 minutes of browsing this Forum, I had to join! So again, much appreciation to those that put the effort in to keep this Forum going, and to ALL those members that create this unique experience and keep it FUN!

My love for music began at the young age of nine. I was enamored and simply captivated by the beauty and craftsmanship of those classic 70's components (Pioneer, Sansui, Sony, Harman Kardon, etc.). I hung out at the local shops where owners and employees allowed me to audition the equipment for hours! They were also kind enough to take an interest and educate me. This would prove to be the foundation of my love for all things music and electronics. Sadly, with the deterioration of these "brick and mortar" shops, this opportunity no longer exists, which greatly affects the overall attraction and entrance into the hobby; therefore, it's our responsibility to "nurture" those new audiophiles and help them on their path.

My passion quickly grew into a hobby at the age of 14 when I landed employment at a local 12-volt shop. I remained employed at various shops until landing my final job with Pioneer Electronics and closing out my audio employment at the age of 31. There are no words nor enough space to properly describe the fun, enjoyment, and education of the "ride" and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have been able to make a living from my life's passion! I am now 54 and remained enamored with all things audio; both the music and education of all things new still "drives" me forward and flames my passion as if I were still visiting those shops 40 years ago!

As some may know, the recent flooding in Texas over the past several years have affected many, including myself. Last September my house flooded and all equipment had to be stored and remains that way. I have never been a fan of headphone listening or the product channel but with the recent flooding, I was forced to engage them and I'm finding the entire IEM prospect extremely intriguing and beyond FUN! They say there's a "silver lining in every dark cloud," well, without the flooding I may never have engaged this hobby. I find this to be an entirely new "frontier" to explore and my passion and enjoyment dictates pursuit and further exploration.

As with all things audio/sound related, experience plays a huge role in our appreciation; as we grow our understanding and experience, our appreciation and passion grows, increasing our desire for improved performance. And the fact that I have no experience with the IEM channel of this hobby has opened-up an entirely new frontier for me to explore; something not often encountered by someone with over 40 years of experience. Again, I consider myself blessed to have this opportunity and very much looking forward to maximizing it!

I recently purchased a set of BLON BL-03's with an upgraded cable to use with my iPhone and was blown away with what I was hearing - I've never had anything "plugged into my ear" create this type of performance - and off of a phone! Realizing this is complete ENTRY-LEVEL stuff, I became extremely intrigued and am now "hooked!" I can't stop watching reviews and seeking knowledge. Two weeks ago I purchased a set of Shozy 1.1's and really like their signature as well, both seem to excel in different ways. The fact that I'm still streaming Tidal from a phone with no proper DAC/AMP is very exciting as I can see and imagine the possibilities! I'm hoping you fellow "head-fi'ers can help with some guidance and possibly keep me from wasting too much coin along the way! :slight_smile: To help you help me, I've listed some personal information about my preferred music and listening habits below:

1. GENRES - I listen to all genres of music. I love jazz, including classic jazz that's recorded well. Recently found a great Dave Grusin homage to Duke Ellingtion and wow! Recorded very well and sounds great through these Shozy's. But depending on my mood, sometimes there's nothing that will do but some great guitar work from Stevie Ray or Al di Meola. And at other times, I need the soft soothing sounds of Yo Yo Ma's bow! And of course, being from Texas, the affinity for some classic country or some Aaron Lewis is never far away from the playlists.

2. TONE - I'm not a "bass-head" as some would call it. I want balanced bass in relationship to the overall spectrum, not heavy or weak, rather as the producer intended. I guess it could be said that I seek "neutrality." I find the mids in the Shozy 1.1's a little more "laid-back" or "less forward" than the Blons yet the treble a bit cleaner. Looking forward to the day I'm better able to associate an IEM curve to my preferred signature.

3. VOLUME - I don't listen to music at very loud volume levels. My phone readout usually stays around half-way or slightly above, depending on the environment and what I'm doing. While writing or engaging in computer work, the volume is typically less than half way. I realize this is completely relative to equipment but since I only have a phone, I have no other means to convey volume. I really appreciate equipment that can produce great dynamics at low volumes as this is a most difficult task.

So, with that, I hope most reading this will gather a good understanding of who I am, what I like, my music and listening preference, and what I'm trying to achieve. I've went on long enough but I want those interested in helping to have enough information to be able to provide proper guidance. And I'm hoping that I will also be able to help others as my experience grows and contribute to the discussion.

Have a great weekend and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community Head-Fi

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #11,225 of 15,646
I've been into headphones since my first pair of Grado SR60's on the NYC subway around 1990. I've been reading this forum for many years, and finally am getting around the signing up. I have a vague memory of being a member maybe under an old email address, but anyway, here I am.

I quickly discovered Headroom, with their portable amplifiers, and purchased my first pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. From there, to the HD 600 and HD 650's, the latter of which I have kept for many years, albeit with upgraded Cardas and then Canare cables.

I was an early adopter of the Benchmark DAC1 and still have that DAC/amplifier, albeit at work now. It has held up many years, although I did send it in for repair and potentiometer replacement after taking it with me on one too many international trips in my luggage.

At home I have the DAC3 in my 2-channel system and have been experimenting with different amplifiers. I mostly listen to the HD650's + DAC1 at work and the DAC3 + Beyerdynamic T1 (1st generation) and now HD800S at home. I was happy to learn on Head-Fi about using the right output that doesn't have the muting switch on the Benchmark DACs for critical listening, and also realized I need to take my time and set the HT setting to on instead of just guessing what unity gain might be, when using an external headphone amplifier.

I have a vintage Headroom The Max amplifier I purchased in Seattle, as well as a recently purchased Gilmore Lite MK2 I am evaluating. I am trying to decide whether to step up my amplification stage -- compared to the DAC3 HPA2 section, the Headroom (how is this for imprecise) sounds closer to the sound I get in a concert hall when listening to classical music; warmer but not as detailed. However, I find the HPA2 maybe gets fatiguing over time to listen to, in comparison, with the T1s. At work, the HD650 + DAC1 combination seems to work well, as I am not listening as loud or as focused, or for as long periods of time. Maybe the veil or warmth of the 650's rounds out the DAC1 well; I know Benchmark would sell the 650's, so maybe they used them when voicing their amplifier stage.

The Gilmore I have not listened to enough yet to come to any strong conclusions, but it seems more detailed than The Max, but smoother than the HPA2. I am interested also in trying the Violectric V100 or V200 as I am reading somewhere here that maybe one or more of the HD800 engineering team liked that amplifier.

I have a separate home recording setup with an audio interface (Motu M2), AKG 701s, and powered studio monitors (Quad 12L studio monitors) for a non hifi approach. That I have set up with software from Soundworks for a neutral frequency response.

Now when traveling, I do not lug around the DAC1 but instead have a Chord Mojo and Sennheiser IE800 IEMs and I recently purchased from Massdrop one of their HD6XX speakers since I like the 650's and the 6XX were inexpensive enough that I am not worried too much if they get damaged or stolen.

Best,
Mark

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #11,226 of 15,646
Hello guys, I am from Taiwan but currently work in China. I’ve been lurking for a while and getting advices. Anyways, I’d figured it’s about time I come to the surface. I’ve been into the hobby since high school, and my first pair was the Grado igi. My current DAP is Ibasso DX160 with Dunu DK-4001, and recently just bought the Beyerdynamics T1 2nd gen with Xduoo TA-30. Just ordered the Sabaj D5 and most likely going to get the Little Dot MK viii from a friend of mine in Shenzhen. Mostly into Hip-hop, R&B, Jazz, Blues, and Soul. Honestly, the only thing I try to stay away from is EDM. Anyways, it’s my pleasure to join forum!

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #11,229 of 15,646
Hello there, I've recently gotten into this hobby within the past few months, and have quickly learned and purchased a bit since then.

I've began searching around for advice, reviews, what this or that means, etc., but then I realized I'd better join an awesome forum and engage in discussion with others if I am to learn or do more.

My genres of music include most genres out there actually, from the smoothest jazz to the fastest EDM. However, my favorite genre by far would be metal/rock.

To begin my history so far, I was curious about how much better music on a crappy integrated motherboard could sound, and as such, purchased the THX AAA 789 with a Topping D50 (non s), as well as an HD 660S. It sounded significantly better of course, and I began to hear things (timbre especially) more clearly and refined than before. I became slightly addicted to that kind of detail, and quickly purchased an RME Adi 2 Dac/Amp. The detail increased significantly, to the point where I felt I could hear it all!

Next up, I'm looking to try Stax's entry level combo, the SRS 3100 system, and see if I like it's speed, detail, and ethereal presentation.

Cheers!

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #11,232 of 15,646
Hi guys, new to the forums. Been a lurker for a good month or so. My first ever IEM is the TRN BA5 and kinda didn't like it's sound signature. Made an account so as to be an active member of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back