New Member Introductions thread
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #8,341 of 15,578
Am I understanding the welcome message correctly that I cannot edit my profile until I've made a few posts? I would like to change my gender to unspecified (at least until I can put up an actual avatar) as I really hate how prominently it is advertised by default. I'm not someone who waives around a gender flag online and it's kind of a bummer to have this loudspeaker of an avatar =/
Nothing quite like voluntarily joining a community and then telling said community that you don't like the way they do thing. You can always piss off and find another community if you don't like the way this one is set up. Ungrateful GIT!

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #8,342 of 15,578
Nothing quite like voluntarily joining a community and then telling said community that you don't like the way they do thing. You can always piss off and find another community if you don't like the way this one is set up. Ungrateful GIT!

Thanks for the kind and warm welcome, ebjarrell! I hope my post didn't make you feel defensive or anything... I'll continue to politely express my opinion and ask for help if I'm unsure about something, as I did above. Have a good day.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #8,344 of 15,578
need help choosing a more entry level CIEM for gym use. I dont want to risk using my Roxannes at the gym. Was looking at Customart Fibae 3, 64audio a3e or a4t but honestly have not demoed any of them and nowhere around me to do so

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #8,347 of 15,578
Hello...New guy. Looking at your website, I tink I might be a bad fit. I recently had certain posts taken down from the Laser Disc Data Base ( lddb.com ) because I was trying to find a a way to listen to Dolby Laser Discs in my Turtle Beach X41, a gaming headset. Most people instead of helping me were telling me that you can't get surround sound in Headsets.

I swear by these headphones. They have Dolby 5.1-> Dolby Headphone converters. I know they were intended for games, but movies sound awesome in them... as long as you either use a gaming console like a Playstation 3, or an Xbox One S, or as long as your media is Dolby on any other player. DTS movies on non-gaming BluRays are awful. That's because the game machines have DTS-> Dolby converters.

In games, I've save many virtual lives, especially my own, by using audio cues to give me information. The 2 most obvious cases are tracking the Apple Juice Boos in Sonic Lost World, and finding the right timing and direction to dodge 2 Goblins' club swings while they were chasing me from behind in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's kind of an issue of results and directional performance. I just need directionally accurate information.

That's the problem I predict I might have with your site. Most of you seem to talk about trebles and basses, but I talk about directionality. I have never seen the brands that you feature, and my preferred brand, Turtle Beach is not a featured brand on your website.

I believe the difference between speakers and headphones is like the difference between Polar 3D and Shutter 3D. Polar 3D and Speakers is how it's done in the theater, because the glasses are cheap $1 throwaways and the speakers are WAY more sanitary to share between strangers than headphones are, as well as both Polar 3D and external Speakers reach more people at once. Imagine buying headphones for hundreds of people. But Shutter 3D is a technically superior system, and so are Surround Sound Headphones. Just because it's the way it's done in the theater doesn't mean it's the best way for a home audience.

I think I may have unintentionally angered many people on LDDB.com who have specially-built media rooms and spend thousands of dollars on sound alone, when a $100 headphone gives 3-dimensoinal sound just as good, and possibly better, than a communal speaker system.

Then when I said I'm having troubles picking up DTS movies right, and I prefer Dolby Movies over DTS, people were going "World Trade Federation." It was like I was speaking against their god. Everyone knows DTS is better than Dolby, right? I just found DTS's achilles heel, directionality when converted to headphones.

And I admit it's not perfect, and was giving my experience about the pros and cons of headphone vs communal. like for example, if you want to talk abut the movie to you're fellow watchers, you have to wave in front of the "king of the remote" to get him to pause. And if DTS is better, I certain hear it as worse. And you're required to have a gaming system to play headphone sound right on everything. With stand-alones you're at the mercy of the headphone and movie sound standard, which is a problem for laser discs, because it fits in no video game system with DTS-> Dolby conversion as a feature.

Finally I write long posts when Introducing myself or a topic I don't see anywhere on your forums, like I did hen I saw a lack of headphone posts on LDDB.com. I'm literally in every post that I did a search for "turtle Beach" "surround Headphones", and "triton". Befiore I came, no one was talking about them.

I don't have to ability to get instant feedback like on a telephone call, so it's like a speech. I speak and speak, and then I take questions. I hate the peepshow for intentionally leaving details out, fishing for the right question. I say what I say and then take comments and questions.

By the way, I'm on Social Security, so I am more of a budget minded enthusiast. I found Headphones are a way cheaper alternative to communal surrounds systems. And I actively SEEK the Dolby movie discs, when most others shun the Dolby version over the DTS, because they are cheaper AND they work better in my sitch.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #8,348 of 15,578
Hello...New guy. Looking at your website, I tink I might be a bad fit. I recently had certain posts taken down from the Laser Disc Data Base ( lddb.com ) because I was trying to find a a way to listen to Dolby Laser Discs in my Turtle Beach X41, a gaming headset. Most people instead of helping me were telling me that you can't get surround sound in Headsets.

I swear by these headphones. They have Dolby 5.1-> Dolby Headphone converters. I know they were intended for games, but movies sound awesome in them... as long as you either use a gaming console like a Playstation 3, or an Xbox One S, or as long as your media is Dolby on any other player. DTS movies on non-gaming BluRays are awful. That's because the game machines have DTS-> Dolby converters.

In games, I've save many virtual lives, especially my own, by using audio cues to give me information. The 2 most obvious cases are tracking the Apple Juice Boos in Sonic Lost World, and finding the right timing and direction to dodge 2 Goblins' club swings while they were chasing me from behind in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's kind of an issue of results and directional performance. I just need directionally accurate information.

That's the problem I predict I might have with your site. Most of you seem to talk about trebles and basses, but I talk about directionality. I have never seen the brands that you feature, and my preferred brand, Turtle Beach is not a featured brand on your website.

I believe the difference between speakers and headphones is like the difference between Polar 3D and Shutter 3D. Polar 3D and Speakers is how it's done in the theater, because the glasses are cheap $1 throwaways and the speakers are WAY more sanitary to share between strangers than headphones are, as well as both Polar 3D and external Speakers reach more people at once. Imagine buying headphones for hundreds of people. But Shutter 3D is a technically superior system, and so are Surround Sound Headphones. Just because it's the way it's done in the theater doesn't mean it's the best way for a home audience.

I think I may have unintentionally angered many people on LDDB.com who have specially-built media rooms and spend thousands of dollars on sound alone, when a $100 headphone gives 3-dimensoinal sound just as good, and possibly better, than a communal speaker system.

Then when I said I'm having troubles picking up DTS movies right, and I prefer Dolby Movies over DTS, people were going "World Trade Federation." It was like I was speaking against their god. Everyone knows DTS is better than Dolby, right? I just found DTS's achilles heel, directionality when converted to headphones.

And I admit it's not perfect, and was giving my experience about the pros and cons of headphone vs communal. like for example, if you want to talk abut the movie to you're fellow watchers, you have to wave in front of the "king of the remote" to get him to pause. And if DTS is better, I certain hear it as worse. And you're required to have a gaming system to play headphone sound right on everything. With stand-alones you're at the mercy of the headphone and movie sound standard, which is a problem for laser discs, because it fits in no video game system with DTS-> Dolby conversion as a feature.

Finally I write long posts when Introducing myself or a topic I don't see anywhere on your forums, like I did hen I saw a lack of headphone posts on LDDB.com. I'm literally in every post that I did a search for "turtle Beach" "surround Headphones", and "triton". Befiore I came, no one was talking about them.

I don't have to ability to get instant feedback like on a telephone call, so it's like a speech. I speak and speak, and then I take questions. I hate the peepshow for intentionally leaving details out, fishing for the right question. I say what I say and then take comments and questions.

By the way, I'm on Social Security, so I am more of a budget minded enthusiast. I found Headphones are a way cheaper alternative to communal surrounds systems. And I actively SEEK the Dolby movie discs, when most others shun the Dolby version over the DTS, because they are cheaper AND they work better in my sitch.
You underestimate folks on Head-fi when you say no one is interested in directionality here. That is not true. I would say that virtually everyone on Head-fi is interested in soundstage and imaging. There are tons of gamers and movie watchers here on the site. Numerous threads. And you are not the only person listening to Turtle Beach gear. So, take it easy--you are not alone. And BTW--I respect you for working on a tight budget. Anyway, welcome to Head-fi!!:)

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #8,350 of 15,578
New member to the forums and looking to discover a wealth of knowledge. I recently embarked on my newly found obsession. I have a set of PX's and RE00's from Massdrop, and recently acquired a Fiio Q1 MkII. My main source of of music from my Galaxy S8 and Spotify Premium. I have a huge collection of .mp3's from my old iPod days as well. I have found that the functional use of a phone + AMP/DAC isn't as great as I'd like it to be. It makes phone functions cumbersome with the amp/dac hanging off it. I joined the forum to start my research of purchasing a DAP and hopefully find a good used one from a member.

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #8,351 of 15,578
Hey guys,

this is my first text and it might be, that there is a wall of text imcoming :)
I'm Chris, living in the wonderful Westerwald, an area in western germany, that is located in the near of cologne. Musicwise i'm into rock & metal music, most likely Stoner/Doom to Black Metal, but also stuff like Blues or Jazz, Classic. At some very rare points, I find myself listening to stuff like Prodegy and the Hotline Miami OST aswell.
I found this forum because of its massive threads, talking about IEs and smartphone for audiophile people, which is the reason, I thought I have to become a member of this side.
At the moment I don't have a big collection of headphones. A while ago I was into standard headphones and started with Superlux HD-681 and HD-330 (the one I prefered), later I got a Audio Technica ATH-M50X which is a damn good headphone for me, not speaking about the crappy quality of the earpads... In the moment I don't see a "I need an update" in that direction, but my IE way.. well...
I started years ago with some Sennheiser 30€ IEs, which were absolut bassmonsters, what I found out, after buying some Superlux DH-381. Later the Superlux IEs died and I just used IEs at gym or on the way to work, why I decided to don't spend a lot of money and got some Philips IEs.. I guess I have one pair SHE8100 and one pair SHE8000 or something like that.. They work ok, but times have changed and the Philips aren't doing a fine job for me and I think, I will try something else. That's why I bought 3 KZ (ATE, ZTE and ED16) IE pairs and a Havi B3 Pro 1 pair lately. Also I'm very interested in getting the iBasso IT01, but that process is actual in pause mode, because I want/need a new phone.
At the moment I'm using a Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime, which isn't that bad, except for the cam and the fact, that it isn't a global version, so after moving to the Westerwald, I have a lot of areas, where I just have a bad connection, which really sucks. So at the moment I'm searching for a new one and see the big LG V30 hype here, which is kind of uncomfortable for me, because I just had bad experiences with phones from LG years ago. So I'm more into Asus Zenforce 5Z, OnePlus 6, Honor 10 View or something like that. I think the sound of my Xiaomi is good enough and I just need something like that...
Maybe a headphone amp would help, but I would rather buy one device, that can handle "everything", instead of carrying around a big load of stuff... By the way: I'm not using the ATH-M50X with the smartphone, I use them at home at my normal Akai amp from the 90s. The smartphone is for running the IEs and also the IE have to work at a SanDisk Jam device, that I use at the moment in gym. So yeah, that is my little introduction, thank you for adding me and I guess we will read us soon or later

Cheers
Chris

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #8,352 of 15,578
Finally I also created an account today to get some advice on my next purchase of IEMs.

I really appreciate the community in this forum. Always keen to give advice in unknown territories and discuss preferences. Not to mention the great and up-to-date reviews posted here.

So I will list some products I have experience with in the world of audio. In case you are interested in my opinion to any products I have owned - just pm me. Maybe I can be somehow of use to you too.

Loudspeakers owned:
Teufel Concept E Magnum Power Edition,
Teufel Theater 500s,
ESI Unik 08+ (actual monitor@PC),
ESI Unik 05+,
Presonus Eris 8,
Adam Audio F7,
Fluid Audio FX8,
Yamaha HS8,
Focal JM-Lab Chorus 706,
Canton AS 85.3 SC,
Canton GLE 490.2,
Altec Lansing VS4121,
Altec Lansing PT6021,
Dali Spektor 2,
Dali Zensor 1,
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 G6
Monitor Audio Bronze 5 G6
Monitor Audio Silver 200 G6 (actual speaker with Marantz Amp)

Over-Ears owned:
AKG K-701,
Skullcandy Crusher Wireless,
Sennheiser HD599,
Sennheiser HD518,
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ohm,
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro 80Ohm,
Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Black Edition 250 Ohm (actual Over-Ear with ASUS Xonar Essence One)

In-Ears owned:
Sony MDX650ap,
Samsung EO-IG955B -tuned by AKG,
UiiSii T8s,
Beyerdynamic Byron InEar,
Beyerdynamic IDX 200 iE,
Soundmagic E10C,
Sennheiser CX3.0,
Sennheiser Momentum InEar (actual Inear)

GZ Richy

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #8,354 of 15,578
Hello everyone. My name is Guillaume. I'm a long-time french reader of Head-Fi forums, so i've decided to create an account to occasionnaly share my experience or my feelings about some products with others members, or just to follow some topic.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #8,355 of 15,578
Hello to the Head-fi community!

Forewarning, I'm mainly accustomed to reading forums, I haven't had any level of activity in forums since GBAtemp around 2009.

I've always had an interest in audio, poor sound quality always has irritated me.
I had big expectations for the Ossic X, when that fell through, I found it difficult to commit to another similar product, and almost went for a set of Audio Technica AD500X, as a last moment change of heart I cancelled my order, and instead ordered what looks to be some of the most impressive headphone techology to date, a set of Audeze Mobius.

Truth be told, I had hoped to get in on the Mobius thread that I've been watching for some time, while it's still active any how.
Given the posting privileges required to post to that thread, it looks like I'll need to be content with just reading.

Thanks for having me, looking forward to learning an all manner of new knowledge!

Shryquill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back