New Member Introductions thread
Jun 23, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #8,102 of 15,537
Hi everyone. I've been a member since February of this year but haven't had a chance to introduce myself because school has been kicking my .....! This site is the bees knees indeed. I broke into headphone madness about 3 years ago when I purchased my first pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones which I need to repair because the cord is damaged (on the list for this weekend) and some Sennheiser earbuds (unsure of the model number). I've actually returned back to school pursuing my EE degree because I want to design and manufacture high quality audio equipment so I hear to soak up as much knowledge as possible from the experts, and hopefully contribute something useful. I currently co-own an electronics repair business with my older brother and have decent knowledge into electronics/audio repairs so I may be helpful in that area.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #8,103 of 15,537
Hi everyone. I've been a member since February of this year but haven't had a chance to introduce myself because school has been kicking my .....! This site is the bees knees indeed. I broke into headphone madness about 3 years ago when I purchased my first pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones which I need to repair because the cord is damaged (on the list for this weekend) and some Sennheiser earbuds (unsure of the model number). I've actually returned back to school pursuing my EE degree because I want to design and manufacture high quality audio equipment so I hear to soak up as much knowledge as possible from the experts, and hopefully contribute something useful. I currently co-own an electronics repair business with my older brother and have decent knowledge into electronics/audio repairs so I may be helpful in that area.
Welcome aboard, @cerglabs!! What sort of gear are you planning on designing, anyway, enquiring minds want to know (?).

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #8,104 of 15,537
Sup Guys,

Figured I would start here as a new member. I have been listening to mostly normal stuff buying sub $200 headphones over the years, Ive got stuff like Bose QC35s for flying and AirPods for walking around. But I hardly ever listen to music since I am a digital nomad and just have my laptop and phone. I felt super bummed talking with my GF a few weeks back about how it was weird I had no music. That same day while installing some stuff I randomly found my old iTunes folder backup on a external hard drivel. Like holy crap! I didn't even realize I was traveling around with so much stuff. I was in Tokyo at the time so while checking out a Bic I was telling her about these Shure headphones I had wanted for a few years but just never needed them. They were Sure 215's, I just thought the clear looked cool. We listened to some demo stuff and they were quite good for the price really. We ended up buying her a pair but I am a perfectionist. When I saw the next model up and the next and the next.. Well suddenly I needed 846's. I totally blame Tokyo for having such a amazing selection of stores and demos of stuff. While not a member yet I used this board to research my investment and learned about other IEM's and DAP's.

I ended up going to E-Earphone in Akihabara and started to demo everything in my 1k price range. based on reviews here and my own ears I ended up getting a mint used pair of Andromedas over the Shure's. The used Shure's are like half retail price so that worried me. Plus the Andros sounded way better. Not more than a few days after of listening on my iPhone X and Laptop did I realize there is quite a difference. The Laptop powered them MUCH better than the iPhone did. Again board posts confirmed all this here. So once again back to E-Earphones! I must have gone there like 8 times. Now to solve my no portable music nonsense and to power my Andros I have a Sony NW-ZX300. I grabbed a Nobunaga Labs hybrid 4.4 balanced cable to round out my spending spree.

Currently not planing on buying anything for a long long while considering I now own most peoples end game set up so I am collecting hi-res audio now.

TL;DR Was in Tokyo for a few months, decided to go all in and bought Andromeda's, Sony NW-ZX300 and, 4.4 balance cable. Having access to tax free used items and the ability to demo anything and everything is amazing. I highly recommend E-Earphones in Akihabara.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #8,106 of 15,537
Welcome all new members.

@Enderchangeling, the key is to start small, find gear which interests you then go from there, have a good quality source (minimum CD quality) you know well, know what kind of sound you like, do lots & lots of demos, can't stress that enough.
As a final note, I suggest looking at pro audio gear as they are usually far more cost effective & in most cases & better quality than a lot of commercial gear.

If you need more, happy to help navigate this pastime of ours...

Oh & one last thing, apologies to your wallet in advance !

Hope you have a great day !

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #8,109 of 15,537
Welcome @Enderchangeling and like PaganDL said demo when at all possible. There are many low cost headphones and earphones that can produce lots of goodness .
One other thing I would recommend is you change your location not a good idea to give out your address just saying a Town and State or State is just fine just don’t won’t any uninvited guest.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #8,110 of 15,537
Sup Guys,

Figured I would start here as a new member. I have been listening to mostly normal stuff buying sub $200 headphones over the years, Ive got stuff like Bose QC35s for flying and AirPods for walking around. But I hardly ever listen to music since I am a digital nomad and just have my laptop and phone. I felt super bummed talking with my GF a few weeks back about how it was weird I had no music. That same day while installing some stuff I randomly found my old iTunes folder backup on a external hard drivel. Like holy crap! I didn't even realize I was traveling around with so much stuff. I was in Tokyo at the time so while checking out a Bic I was telling her about these Shure headphones I had wanted for a few years but just never needed them. They were Sure 215's, I just thought the clear looked cool. We listened to some demo stuff and they were quite good for the price really. We ended up buying her a pair but I am a perfectionist. When I saw the next model up and the next and the next.. Well suddenly I needed 846's. I totally blame Tokyo for having such a amazing selection of stores and demos of stuff. While not a member yet I used this board to research my investment and learned about other IEM's and DAP's.

I ended up going to E-Earphone in Akihabara and started to demo everything in my 1k price range. based on reviews here and my own ears I ended up getting a mint used pair of Andromedas over the Shure's. The used Shure's are like half retail price so that worried me. Plus the Andros sounded way better. Not more than a few days after of listening on my iPhone X and Laptop did I realize there is quite a difference. The Laptop powered them MUCH better than the iPhone did. Again board posts confirmed all this here. So once again back to E-Earphones! I must have gone there like 8 times. Now to solve my no portable music nonsense and to power my Andros I have a Sony NW-ZX300. I grabbed a Nobunaga Labs hybrid 4.4 balanced cable to round out my spending spree.

Currently not planing on buying anything for a long long while considering I now own most peoples end game set up so I am collecting hi-res audio now.

TL;DR Was in Tokyo for a few months, decided to go all in and bought Andromeda's, Sony NW-ZX300 and, 4.4 balance cable. Having access to tax free used items and the ability to demo anything and everything is amazing. I highly recommend E-Earphones in Akihabara.
Welcome aboard, @BeerNuts!! That is a sweet setup you've got. As has been said elsewhere--enjoy and sorry about your wallet! ---)

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #8,111 of 15,537
Hi I'm Taief

I'm not really new here, just don't use forums often.
I currently use my geekout iem 100 and lightning dongle as my sources, saving up for a zx300. My amplifier is the Lehmann linear clone.

I have owned many headphones, some which were really me wasting my money and some which were genuinely good.
I currently own an hd580, emu teaks, monks, er4srs and will probably unload some more as I carry on and save up money since being a student isn't cheap.
I don't know how to write those gear lists in my profile.

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #8,112 of 15,537
Hi I'm Taief

I'm not really new here, just don't use forums often.
I currently use my geekout iem 100 and lightning dongle as my sources, saving up for a zx300. My amplifier is the Lehmann linear clone.

I have owned many headphones, some which were really me wasting my money and some which were genuinely good.
I currently own an hd580, emu teaks, monks, er4srs and will probably unload some more as I carry on and save up money since being a student isn't cheap.
I don't know how to write those gear lists in my profile.
Welcome aboard, Taief!! To add gear to your profile, go to the heading 'Personal Details' and click on that. Then scroll down to where it lists 'Headphone Inventory.' Start filling in the blocks with your gear. To change your signature, click on 'Signature' and fill in the space. Let me know if for some reason this doesn't work and we will sort it out.

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #8,113 of 15,537
Hello, Everyone,

I’m new to headphone music-listening and absolutely love it (bothered no more with speaker placement or room reflections). I bought the Sennhesier 800S because of brand name, praiseful reviews, and super cool looks. I bought the Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse because of the favorable review by Jude Mansilla on Head-Fi TV. By far, Jude is the best at promoting the hobby. Thank you and I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about the ‘sport’ of headphone listening.

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #8,114 of 15,537
Hello, Everyone,

I’m new to headphone music-listening and absolutely love it (bothered no more with speaker placement or room reflections). I bought the Sennhesier 800S because of brand name, praiseful reviews, and super cool looks. I bought the Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse because of the favorable review by Jude Mansilla on Head-Fi TV. By far, Jude is the best at promoting the hobby. Thank you and I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about the ‘sport’ of headphone listening.
Welcome @Roger Dodger!! Happy about your purchases but sorry about your wallet... ---) Happy to have you here!

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #8,115 of 15,537
Welcome aboard, @cerglabs!! What sort of gear are you planning on designing, anyway, enquiring minds want to know (?).

Thanks for the welcome guys. @serman005 I plan on building DACs (portable and home units) and home audio amplifiers. I'm not sure about anything else except for these two right now. I still have a lot to learn so who knows what else I will come up with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back