New Member Introductions thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #7,246 of 15,538
400i were my first major audio purchase and have zero regrets. How have you been finding them? What's next in your wallet melting itinerary?
I just got them about a week ago, so I'm not totally used to them yet. I never found the grados to be uncomfortable, but these are definitely a step up. But other than that I am actually a little disappointed. The soundstage is pretty small, and the more neutral sound is a little boring to me coming from the grados...but like I said I'm still getting acquainted with them.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #7,249 of 15,538
Hi everyone. Been a fan of audio for a longtime. After a long journey into HT, got a renewed interest in 2CH, especially vintage tube amps. Then this all led me to headphones of which I knew mostly nothing, until I found this site and a few others. Look forward to participating.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #7,250 of 15,538
Hi everyone. Been a fan of audio for a longtime. After a long journey into HT, got a renewed interest in 2CH, especially vintage tube amps. Then this all led me to headphones of which I knew mostly nothing, until I found this site and a few others. Look forward to participating.
Welcome hope you enjoy your time here. I’m slowly working on a 2 channel setup myself but would probably have to change speakers to go tube amp as my Polk LSi15’s being 4 ohms and 88db sensitive would not work well with tubes that I could afford. Starting with a Schiit Freya as a preamp and have a Yggdrasil as my dac so it’s a good start. Headphones are a different animal for sure but can be addictive as I can’t stop myself from buying them ; ) If you got any questions all you have to do is ask as there are many here that can answer most questions about cans and other audio.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #7,251 of 15,538
Welcome hope you enjoy your time here. I’m slowly working on a 2 channel setup myself but would probably have to change speakers to go tube amp as my Polk LSi15’s being 4 ohms and 88db sensitive would not work well with tubes that I could afford. Starting with a Schiit Freya as a preamp and have a Yggdrasil as my dac so it’s a good start. Headphones are a different animal for sure but can be addictive as I can’t stop myself from buying them ; ) If you got any questions all you have to do is ask as there are many here that can answer most questions about cans and other audio.

Thanks! Indeed, the headphone bug took me by surprise, and is already as addictive as 2CH. Darn budgets... yet got started with a modi multibit > Magni 3 > Grado RS2e, and the sound is so satisfying I'm rethinking how far I'm going with 2CH.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #7,252 of 15,538
Thanks! Indeed, the headphone bug took me by surprise, and is already as addictive as 2CH. Darn budgets... yet got started with a modi multibit > Magni 3 > Grado RS2e, and the sound is so satisfying I'm rethinking how far I'm going with 2CH.
Yes that damn budget thing : ) Just picked up a pair of RS1’s from a user here and am liking them as well. My first pair of Grados was looking for a pair of GS1000’s but hard to come by now. You picked a good starting setup for sure. Have yet to hear the Magni 3 but I do like the Schiit Multibit dacs. I do prefer tube amps though.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #7,253 of 15,538
Hello, I bought dt48, so i read everything there is on this forum (about 100x more than i expected) and i was fascinated by the community and shared ability to appreciate the true quality of this headphone (perhaps the best sound achievable)
So i feel the need to participate and share my experience with others, get advice and spread the awareness to upcomming owners, sound designers and audiopohiles.
I wrote here because i was uncertain whether or not should we have introduction on this forum first, before replying to threads.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #7,255 of 15,538
I have heard of headfi for several years but never joined any discussion. Since I recently bought two SMSL USB DACs and have noticed that some users at this forum have been interested in them as well, I think it is time for me to get on board and share some first hand experience.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #7,256 of 15,538
New member here; 30+ year music / audio hobbyist and amused observer. I joined mostly because there is an interesting thread having to do with the lack of empirical evidence to support audible differences in components (DACs, cables, etc.) that measure the same. It's a topic that interests me and to which I thought I might contribute.

My main headphones are Audeze LCD-2's (2.2) and Oppo PM-3. I drive them with a Schiit Jotunheim (at my desk) and a Naim DAC v-1 (in my main system).

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #7,257 of 15,538
Hi, my name is Scott and I never thought I would be a headphone addict. three months ago I scoffed at people who paid more than $50 for headphones. Then I decided I wanted to upgrade my gaming headphones. While I was not able to get an ideal set, I learned about magnetic planar headphones and "had" to get them. I initially wanted a pair of Advanced Alpha Headphones but ended up purchasing a set of HiFiMan's HE400i'.Of course I needed a headphone amp... and a DAC... and now I am hooked. In fact, this has ruined almost every course or music I previously enjoyed. Everything I have purchased is less than a month old.

Current gear:
HiFiMan HE-400i
Philips Fidelio M1MKIIWT/27 MKII
Sennheiser 4.20s
Audeze iSine LX
Audeze iSine 10 with Lightning Cable
Topping NX4 (Older model)
Audio-Gd R2R 11
SMSL T2 "Tube" amp
AAW Accessport Audio and Charger for iPhone (rebranded by Advanced)​

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #7,258 of 15,538
Greets from diehard music lover. I'm looking forward to expanding my portable gear. Have a Plenue D coming which meets my criteria and am now faced with the challenge of finding the perfect sonic delivery device for my ears without going bankrupt. I find much info here and appreciate all contributions made.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #7,259 of 15,538
Not 100% sure what's on my itinerary. I'm a college student so cash is pretty tight, might try to sell/ swap the he 400is for sr225 or sr325
Coming from Grado sound to something neutral can definently take a mental adjustment. This also happens when I listen to a real bass heavy headphone and then go to a neutral one. It makes you think the neutral can sounds boring or sterile.

If I were you, I would try to go from SR80e to the SR325. I don’t think the jump from SR80 to SR225 would be worth the price difference. For price to performance the bottom end of Grado is difficult (to my ears) hear a big difference. So to save up a little bit more for the 325 would be worth it I feel.

I’m a big fan of Grado but comfort is definetly not their strong suit ha. I am glad you don’t find them comfortable but you soon realize the difference when you put another can on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back