New Member Introductions thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #6,514 of 15,561
Hello All,

I've been a lurker on Head-FI for a while but I figured it was time to create an account and become more active in the community.

I started my higher-end audio journey a few years ago with an Onix SP3 tube amp and a pair of Onix Reference 1 speakers. It suited me for a while, but then I moved my fiance into my apartment, so I figured a pair of good headphones would be a good investment. I started with Sennheiser HD 600's, and I've since moved to Beyerdynamic T1's (2nd Generation). As far as amps go, I have a DarkVoice 336se, a Schiit Magni 2U/Modi 2U stack, and (my newest toy) a Sennheiser HDVA 600. I've also built a couple Bottlehead kits, but nothing for headphones yet.

I recently took home a McIntosh MHA-100 from an audio store here in Chicago, too, and while I loved it, I wasn't ready to drop that kind of money just yet. As you can tell, though, G.A.S. has taken hold, and I'm sure more gear will be headed my way soon. I think my next big move will probably be looking for a better headphone amp that can also drive speakers so I can have a bit more of an "all in one" system for my apartment.

Anyway, that's just a little about me. I hope to get some good discussion going in the forums. See everyone out there!

- Dan

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #6,515 of 15,561
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the head-fi subject and found this forum while trying to learn about DAP's.
I listen to music, classical mostly and some electronic. I will also listen to just about any genre around, but if I have to choose a sound signature for a DAP I'd go with one that favours classical the most.
So far I've read that a neutral, even analytical signature is what you want to make the most of classical listening. I do try to be an active listener.
I've come across a few models, namely the Fiio X7ii and the Cayin N6, that seem to match what I need, but both are a bit above what I initially intended to spend. However, I'd be willing to do the extra effort if it enabled me to buy something with build quality and sound in mind, with barely any extras but that weren't a product designed mainly to fit in a determined price range. Having said that, I won't go too far.
This is all new to me and I'd very much like to learn something before rushing to buy.
See you guys,
L

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #6,517 of 15,561
Well enough with the procrastination, time to actually write an intro...

Hello from the middle of nowhere in southern Vermont! I'm a lifelong music lover, grew up with music playing in the house on Dad's stereo. Usually classical, though when he was out, Mom and I would spool up Jesus Christ Superstar on the reel to reel. Discovery of Rock and Roll came via a transistor radio listening to Cousin Brucie on WABC out of NYC in the 60's. Yep, I'm ancient.

My first pair of headphones were something "inexpensive" from Radio Shack in my mid teens. Yeah, they sucked, but at the time I didn't know better. Not long after I inherited a pair of Koss Pro4/AA. Now those were headphones! And that started my love/hate relationship with headphones.

I currently own Sennheiser HD650 and Etymotics ER4P, listening primarily to rock, ambient, electronic, folk, some techno, some country. And as much live music as I can get to. I love detail, I want to hear everything I can in the recording - the textures, the layers of sound and soundscapes. Both of my current 'phones do this for me in different ways. And not everything is about a sense of realism (electronica isn't exactly realism!), sometimes it's all about getting lost in between the notes.

The ER4s are primarily used at work, with Spotify and Pandora (both subscriptions - wanted access to their higher quality streams and I hate commercials) via a Motorola Droid Turbo - surprisingly good audio chain in that phone. Alternately, there's my iPod full of WAV files. The ER4s with the foam ear cushions do a great job of keeping the factory floor noise out and the music in.

In the past I've owned the above Koss Pro4/AA, Sennheiser HD414 (my first open transducer headphone experience), various Sony on-the-ear things for use with portable players, Beyerdynamic DT990, Grado SR60, AKG K271 and probably others I've forgotten. I miss the DT990s. Unfortunately both the '990s and SR60s with my homebrewed class A MOSFET headphone amp "disappeared" during a move. I'm guessing that someone's desire to acquire exceeded my requirement for retention.

I'm currently researching options for a closed back over the ear 'phone for home for when I want to get lost in the music and my partner wants to watch TV.

I've enjoyed the threads that I've read here. Some of the collections of 'phones and gear y'all've acquired are mindblowing.

OK, that's enough bloviating.
Later,
Amy

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #6,519 of 15,561
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #6,521 of 15,561
Hey guys, I'm not an audiophile myself but like most people here I do want the best listening experience possible, particularly tailored to (as my name suggests) classical.
What do you know about the HD800? Seems like a standard for classical music lovers... Depends though on what sound signature you like though...

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6,524 of 15,561
That thing is damn expensive, that's about 10% of all my cash!
HA! Hey I am not trying to break the bank I feel ya... Hearing what someones budget for what they want is top priority. Not knowing what you wanted in that regard I just threw it out there since its the bees knees in my opinion for classical.

Edit: I just read your post again and it made me laugh. Your reaction is PRICELESS :) :)

In regards to under $200 I will have to think more about it... Some things I can think of we don't sell and therefore I can't say on here. Hit me with a PM if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back