New Member Introductions thread
Oct 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #587 of 15,551
The first audio equipment I bought was a pair of in-ear skullcandys, because I reckoned they'd be more comfy than the earphones that came with my MP3 player, and for a time, they were good, helping me drag my textbooks up the hills from school to home, by pumping a marching beat into my ears, mostly rock and various electronica,anything quirky and energetic.

I figured since there was such a variety of devices for their task, I could do better, especially for gaming, so I stuck with SC, this time getting some circumaural headphones, they had a little, AA powered "bass booster" built in, and I loved 'em, took them to Uni, they broke down there, and I think I may have shed a tear or two.

I'd seen Sennheisers before, and they seemed to be a company almost entirely devoted to head/ear phones, so I searched for them, and the HD201s were cheap, but getting good write ups, so I've been using them up to now. They're a tad big on my head, and the plug has bent, so I have to twist it just so, to get any sound in the right ear, but I'm still quite attached to them.

I've gone in a couple of shops to try out some new ones, this time with a more substantial, birthday-boosted budget, and Sennheiser won me over again, this time with the circumaural Momentums, of the ones small enough for my head, and cheap enough, they seemed to sound the nicest to me.

Still, now I'm getting headphones more expensive than my last games console, I've decided it's time I look into getting the most out of them, and getting some understanding of sound quality.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #588 of 15,551
Hi - My name is Matt and I live in southern Florida.  Recently purchased a near mint used FiiO E18 Kunlun from one of the members on this forum.  I haven't been able to use my home audio system in some time do to traveling, so I decided it was time to research portable solutions.

I had been listening to mp3 audio most of the past 15 years, but began using FLAC the past couple years and won't look back at this point.

Portable Setup for the office:
LG G3 smartphone
USB Audio Player app
Fiio E18 Kunlun portable DAC/AMP
Bowers & Wilkins C5 in-ear headphones

Small Room Setup for the hotel:
Asus Q550LF Laptop
J River Media Center
Palo Alto "Cubik" digital USB streaming speakers

Home audio:
NAD C325bee Integrated amp
Energy Connoisseur C-5 standing floor speakers

Hoping to add a turntable to my home setup soon.  I've been without one for a few years now.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #589 of 15,551
Hi everyone, I'm not an audiophile hunting for the best sound like most of you guys are. But I definitely will need some help in picking the best equipment for the budget, I've chosen this forum over others mainly for the awesome community. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #592 of 15,551
Oh... quick P.S--- you may wish to select a unique Avitar image that reflects some aspect of your personality or interests. The head-fi community will come to recognize that image with you. Images that are too similar may confuse head-fiers.. Best wishes to all of you... and again WELCOME!

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #593 of 15,551
Hey guys!

After years of using my trusty Microsoft Lifechat headset for gaming and listening to music on my PC, I've decided to take the plunge and get some new tasty headphones and an amp/dac too. I'm still trying to get my head around all the terminology and abbreviations so i figured a solid forum like this would be the best place to start :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #594 of 15,551
Hey, welcome musicnut23, IIC3 and Peb 1000. You're going to enjoy the community and exploring the marvelous world of audiophile listening.

If you have any questions, give a shout--

Thanks!  I would love to change my avatar, but I am still unable to edit my profile or upload any pics.  I've yet to find any threads in which I want to post anything.  I figure it isn't worth posting garbage just to get two or three posts made.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #595 of 15,551
I wish I had a nickel for every post I have seen that says, "I am not an audiophile..." I would venture to say that the majority of Head-Fi members are audiophiles.

Definition of Audiophile from Merriam-Webster - A person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction; A hi-fi enthusiast.

If you fall into either of these, you are definitely an audiophile. I am proud to say that I am an audiophile, and I enjoy this hobby every time I turn on my audio system and listen to every genre of music that comes from my speakers. There is something to be said when you come home from a long day at work, you turn your audio system on, and music comes from your speakers, for me this is the best form of relaxation that soothes the body and mind.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #596 of 15,551
Hola everyone, audio nooby here!

been reading and learning a lot here at head-fi
I only got a Senn HD 280 pro, but now im really curious and ready to buy a fostex t50rp, just looking for a budget amp to go with it :p
and then mod the headphone out.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #597 of 15,551
Hey everyone,

Love quality HIFI equipment, and am a bit of an electrical hobbyist who enjoys tinkering with his audio toys. I read this forum almost every day so I am long overdue for making an account so here goes. :)

~Carlos

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #598 of 15,551
Hello guys,

My name is Leo, I like listening to many different genres, mostly dubstep, metal, rock and its sub-genres.

I've always enjoyed a lot listening to music but never had the money or will to look for good headphones, as I never felt the need to.
However, now I feel like improving my experience when listening to music and felt this forum the most helpful.

Hope to settle for some good headphones soon as I'm very eager to listen to something other than Apple's earpods and cheap headsets :)

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #600 of 15,551
Welcome.. Leo & David. I'm sure you will enjoy the social interaction with others, of similar audio interests. Head-fi is also an excellent source to learn more about the audiophile world. Even if you begin with fairly simple equipment, your tastes in music and equipment will evolve over time. Enjoy the journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back