New Member Introductions thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #511 of 15,646
Hello. I've been lurking for a long time but thought I'd introduce myself. I have been tinkering with mid-fi stereo equipment for a while and just got into headphones. Bought my first DAP (fiio x5),  in ear headphones (brainwavz) and on ear (Alessandro Music Series).

Massive fan of Guided by Voices, Wire, Pavement, The Smiths and Joy Division. 

Currently residing in North Fremantle, Australia, but originally from Manchester, England.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Cheers,
Ed

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #512 of 15,646
Hi all, 

I gotta say, ironically words can express sounds. And this forum is proof of that!
Finally made the choice to join this forum after reading so many awesome reviews.
Thanks to everyone here, I've purchased Brainwavz Pro Alpha, Shure SE215, Xiaomi Piston 2.1 IF edition, VSONIC VSD3S, Superlux HD668b and counting, (if my wallet expands magically
biggrin.gif
)
Never regretted any of my purchases and a huge fan of budget audio products!

Best regards!

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #513 of 15,646
Hey this is Jason, a international student from China XD
actually i have been reading threads and posts on this forum for years and just decided to become a member.
Owned several brands and earphones such as ie8, shure 535, monster copper, k3003 etc. 
Now considering getting a new custom IEM. top choice is going to be JH audio

best! 

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #517 of 15,646
Hey there!

New to the site so I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Quinten, most just call me Q (a nickname I've had since 2). I live in Sacramento, California, I work for Apple tech support. I was introduced to this site when I helped out one of Head-Fi's contributing members with an issue with his phone and he clued me into this!

I had been involved with music for a large portion of my life, from playing in a few garage bands in high school to being a DJ for 5 years. It wasn't until I became a DJ that I really became knowledgable about equipment, as I had my own and unlike some of the people I used to play with I cared that what I was playing was not only well put together, but that the sound quality was good not just ok, or loud for that matter (I think we all know clean sound travels better than loud sound!).

When I set out to buy my own equipment I was looking for the best sound for the value at the time, but when it came to my headphones I knew I wanted to spend a bit more money on something good and durable (I never had a pair of headphones in my life that lasted more than 3 months). I had purchased a pair of Techics DH-1200 DJ headphones, and that started my love affair with over the ear headphones!

I listened to everything in those headphones, even when I wasn't DJing! Those broke after 5 years of very heavy use, but it was money well spent. Like a good pair of shoes it was worth it to spend a few extra bucks and have quality.

Anyhow enough about my headphones. Nowadays I work, maintain a family life and work on a few music projects as a hobby. I'm really enjoying all of the info I have found on this site so far and looking forward to participating in the community!

Thanks,
Quinten

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #518 of 15,646
Hey there!

New to the site so I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Quinten, most just call me Q (a nickname I've had since 2). I live in Sacramento, California, I work for Apple tech support. I was introduced to this site when I helped out one of Head-Fi's contributing members with an issue with his phone and he clued me into this!

I had been involved with music for a large portion of my life, from playing in a few garage bands in high school to being a DJ for 5 years. It wasn't until I became a DJ that I really became knowledgable about equipment, as I had my own and unlike some of the people I used to play with I cared that what I was playing was not only well put together, but that the sound quality was good not just ok, or loud for that matter (I think we all know clean sound travels better than loud sound!).

When I set out to buy my own equipment I was looking for the best sound for the value at the time, but when it came to my headphones I knew I wanted to spend a bit more money on something good and durable (I never had a pair of headphones in my life that lasted more than 3 months). I had purchased a pair of Techics DH-1200 DJ headphones, and that started my love affair with over the ear headphones!

I listened to everything in those headphones, even when I wasn't DJing! Those broke after 5 years of very heavy use, but it was money well spent. Like a good pair of shoes it was worth it to spend a few extra bucks and have quality.

Anyhow enough about my headphones. Nowadays I work, maintain a family life and work on a few music projects as a hobby. I'm really enjoying all of the info I have found on this site so far and looking forward to participating in the community!

Thanks,
Quinten

Hey Quinten,

Welcome to Head-Fi! Hope you will have a good time reading up on as much equipment as you can and of course, the unique stories as well!

If you worked during the iPhone 6 launch, I commend you! I waited all night for the iPhone 6 Plus, but wound up getting the IPhone 6 in space gray, 128GB. Compared to the 5, the audio quality (both speakers and headphone jack output) is a substantial elevation regarding sound quality, in my opinion.

Take care, and again, welcome!

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #519 of 15,646
Hey Quinten,

Welcome to Head-Fi! Hope you will have a good time reading up on as much equipment as you can and of course, the unique stories as well!

If you worked during the iPhone 6 launch, I commend you! I waited all night for the iPhone 6 Plus, but wound up getting the IPhone 6 in space gray, 128GB. Compared to the 5, the audio quality (both speakers and headphone jack output) is a substantial elevation regarding sound quality, in my opinion.

Take care, and again, welcome!

Thank you for the warm welcome Moedawg!

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #520 of 15,646
Hey moedawg,

You've been posting a lot lately so it blew right past me... but congrats on hitting Supremus!  
smile.gif
  As per my tradition, I now bestow upon you the following achievement:

Congrats again bro!

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #521 of 15,646
Hey moedawg,

You've been posting a lot lately so it blew right past me... but congrats on hitting Supremus!  :smile:   As per my tradition, I now bestow upon you the following achievement:

Congrats again bro!

Thank you very much, warrenpchi, I appreciate your congrats - it means a lot to me! I may wanna print your post and frame it or something, haha! I do wonder though, how to obtain the "Contributor" status though, heh. Oh, and yes, I still don't know one iota regarding audio and the expansive nature that encompasses the subject. No one knows absolutely everything though, and that's what makes Head-Fi so amazing, is that everyone can input their own experiences and knowledge to help and educate members and lurkers as a whole.

Two tips that I've learned growing up are:

1. It is okay to be a copycat - that is, if you copy the right cat! And:

2. Fake it til' you make it!

Thanks again buddy!

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #522 of 15,646
Thank you very much, warrenpchi, I appreciate your congrats - it means a lot to me! I may wanna print your post and frame it or something, haha! 

I do wish I could make Head-Fi do that noise.  You know, that pop-up noise that tells us we got an achievement?  That noise is awesome, like a drug, I MUST HEAR THAT NOISE.

I do wonder though, how to obtain the "Contributor" status though, heh.

As for getting the "Contrbutor" badge, there was an old way, and now there's a new way.  

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, Head-Fi used to accept member contributions (donations) in order to keep running.  In recognition of their contribution, they received several perks, like being able to disable ads, and a "Contributor" badge.  But that was a very long time ago, and Head-Fi no longer solicits member contributions, so that doesn't matter.  Just mentioning it for historical purposes.

The new way is very informal.  Basically, Currawong awards the badge to those that he feels are making a positive contribution to the community or Head-Fi experience.  Some people get it for doing a bunch of good reviews.  Others get it for organizing meets.  Before I became a moderator, I rocked a Contributor tag myself.

I got it for putting Jude into a bunch of movie posters.

And while my particular contribution wasn't terribly informative, I've been told that it was pretty darned funny.

Back to the point though, there isn't really a set way to earn it.  It's all about being a positive and helpful member of the community.  When we do that, it just seems to happen.  
smile.gif

Oh, and yes, I still don't know one iota regarding audio and the expansive nature that encompasses the subject. No one knows absolutely everything though, and that's what makes Head-Fi so amazing, is that everyone can input their own experiences and knowledge to help and educate members and lurkers as a whole.

No one knows everything.  And those that claim they do are LYING.  But yes, like you said, we all share what we do know - and in doing so - we are all the better for it.

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #523 of 15,646

I do wish I could make Head-Fi do that noise.  You know, that pop-up noise that tells us we got an achievement?  That noise is awesome, like a drug, I MUST HEAR THAT NOISE.

As for getting the "Contrbutor" badge, there was an old way, and now there's a new way.  

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, Head-Fi used to accept member contributions (donations) in order to keep running.  In recognition of their contribution, they received several perks, like being able to disable ads, and a "Contributor" badge.  But that was a very long time ago, and Head-Fi no longer solicits member contributions, so that doesn't matter.  Just mentioning it for historical purposes.

The new way is very informal.  Basically, Currawong awards the badge to those that he feels are making a positive contribution to the community or Head-Fi experience.  Some people get it for doing a bunch of good reviews.  Others get it for organizing meets.  Before I became a moderator, I rocked a Contributor tag myself.

I got it for putting Jude into a bunch of movie posters.

And while my particular contribution wasn't terribly informative, I've been told that it was pretty darned funny.

Back to the point though, there isn't really a set way to earn it.  It's all about being a positive and helpful member of the community.  When we do that, it just seems to happen.  
smile.gif

No one knows everything.  And those that claim they do are LYING.  But yes, like you said, we all share what we do know - and in doing so - we are all the better for it.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a cool popup sound, but I'll take a professionally made snazzy icon any day!

Thanks for explaining how the "Contributor" badge works.  I guessed as much regarding the new way the badge is given, as pretty much all of the members who have that badge are pretty prominent or was once prominent on Head-Fi. 

I remember first seeing your movie posters starring Jude in the L.A. Head-Fit meet up thread.  Jude uses the "I Am Jude" poster as his Head-Fi avatar - nice.  You definitely have a knack for making professional looking icons, avatars, maps, etcetera.  If you don't do this as a job for a paycheck/living (graphic artist/designer or equivalent), then I'm supremely taken aback by your awesome amateur skills! 
normal_smile .gif

Hopefully I can make CanJam...too bad I can't drive there (I guess I could if I really wanted to. 
tongue_smile.gif
), but if I can't, I'll make sure to read up on how it all went down.

See you at the next meet! 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #524 of 15,646
Hi all,
my name's Stefano and i've lurked this forum until a few months ago, i've registered yesterday because i'd like to send a reply every now and then :wink:
Right now i own a V-DAC II, DT 990 Pro 250ohm and a Matrix M-Stage, all stuff i bought after reading the forums here.
See you around :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back