New Member Introductions thread
Mar 4, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #5,176 of 15,519
Hi, new member and first post. Been lurking for a while but now feel like I can start to contribute back.

Just recently got interested in headphones, last year I had to clear the spare room of hifi and speakers, now down to listening to macs through headphones so got a decent pair for xmas, Beyer DT990 Pro 250ohm. To say impressed would be an understatement, these were the kind of revelation that made me finally accept that any CDs I'd ripped at 128kbps really were ripped too low, the kind of revelation that made me want to go back and listen to my whole music collection all over again. There was stuff coming out I'd never heard before, one day I turned round because I thought I heard someone walking round the room, there was no-one there, it was something on the recording, the 990's go really low.

Started looking at forums, other sites, I didn't know there was such a community out there. It was fascinating looking at other peoples' phones, amps, dacs, setups, and mods.

The 990's were for upstairs, where open back didn't matter, so I got a pair of used 770 Pro's for downstairs, where I can listen on the computer while the missus is watching telly. Slightly less low end than the 990's, but the same comfort, detail, and soundstage, and the coiled cord was the prime target for a DIY mini-XLR socket and cable.

Vintage headphones became a regularly searched item on ebay. Having become a big Beyer fan, I've now got a set of DT48E's, DT440's (the old ones with the spangly chrome backs), and DT220's.

Now having a pause from ebay, thinking I need to save to go the other way, Tesla drivers, T70/90, maybe a set of T50/DT1350's for mobile and work.

An electronics engineer by trade, mainly RF, I got sidetracked with amps and DACs. Have now made 2 18V CMOY amps, encased 2 bare board Chinese DACs into spare cases I had, 3D printed some fascia panels to fit, learned to braid cables, 3D printed my own replacement slider kit for the DT48s. See my profile pic for some examples, I hope to start or add to threads soon with more pictures and info on some of the things I've done.

So far it's been absolutely fascinating.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #5,177 of 15,519
  Hi, new member and first post. Been lurking for a while but now feel like I can start to contribute back.

Just recently got interested in headphones, last year I had to clear the spare room of hifi and speakers, now down to listening to macs through headphones so got a decent pair for xmas, Beyer DT990 Pro 250ohm. To say impressed would be an understatement, these were the kind of revelation that made me finally accept that any CDs I'd ripped at 128kbps really were ripped too low, the kind of revelation that made me want to go back and listen to my whole music collection all over again. There was stuff coming out I'd never heard before, one day I turned round because I thought I heard someone walking round the room, there was no-one there, it was something on the recording, the 990's go really low.

Started looking at forums, other sites, I didn't know there was such a community out there. It was fascinating looking at other peoples' phones, amps, dacs, setups, and mods.

The 990's were for upstairs, where open back didn't matter, so I got a pair of used 770 Pro's for downstairs, where I can listen on the computer while the missus is watching telly. Slightly less low end than the 990's, but the same comfort, detail, and soundstage, and the coiled cord was the prime target for a DIY mini-XLR socket and cable.

Vintage headphones became a regularly searched item on ebay. Having become a big Beyer fan, I've now got a set of DT48E's, DT440's (the old ones with the spangly chrome backs), and DT220's.

Now having a pause from ebay, thinking I need to save to go the other way, Tesla drivers, T70/90, maybe a set of T50/DT1350's for mobile and work.

An electronics engineer by trade, mainly RF, I got sidetracked with amps and DACs. Have now made 2 18V CMOY amps, encased 2 bare board Chinese DACs into spare cases I had, 3D printed some fascia panels to fit, learned to braid cables, 3D printed my own replacement slider kit for the DT48s. See my profile pic for some examples, I hope to start or add to threads soon with more pictures and info on some of the things I've done.

So far it's been absolutely fascinating.

Welcome. @hasmac! We are sorry about your wallet...   ---)

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #5,178 of 15,519
Hi, I'm new to to the forums after watching the forums for reviews on which earphones to buy. I'm a big V-moda fan but got Sennheiser momentum in-ears and am looking around at my options to get a new set of in-ears since quite a lot of my old ones have started breaking recently. 

I'm currently using the Sennheiser Momentum In-ears (android version) & V-moda crossfade (lp1's i think, whichever the mtn dew baja blast editions are).
My previous ones were 2x V-moda Vibe, V-moda remix, & sol republic trackshd (and a lot more i can't remember lol).
I've always preferred over ear because of the sound quality, but mainly use in ears because of the portability.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #5,180 of 15,519
Hi,

I joined on 5/11/10.
For close to seven years, I have been reading the various forums on head-fi, and must say, it has been interesting.
Though I did neglect to post an introduction way back then, and I didn't realise that the system still sees me as a newbie because of simply reading, and not posting... 
blink.gif

Anyway, allow me to start over, please:

The music I listen to 99% of the time, is lossless audio; FLAC mostly, through headphones.
My current headphone is the AKG K712 Pro.
I enjoy different genres, and often have classical symphonic or jazz playing in the background as I go about my day. 

Cheers

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #5,183 of 15,519
Hello all, my name is ShookieJay and I'm a newbie audiophile :D I have visited this site on and off over the past year or two for advice and whatnot, but I finally decided to make myself an account so I can put my two cents in (something I've always wished I could do but was too lazy to make an account lol) Anyway, I'm here for the same reason as the rest of you, I have a great appreciation for good sounding music and equipment and I want to be part of a community where there are like-minded people. I look forward to meeting you all, cheers!

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,184 of 15,519
Hello all, my name is ShookieJay and I'm a newbie audiophile
biggrin.gif
I have visited this site on and off over the past year or two for advice and whatnot, but I finally decided to make myself an account so I can put my two cents in (something I've always wished I could do but was too lazy to make an account lol) Anyway, I'm here for the same reason as the rest of you, I have a great appreciation for good sounding music and equipment and I want to be part of a community where there are like-minded people. I look forward to meeting you all, cheers!

Welcome, @ShookieJay! We are so sorry about your wallet.   ---)

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #5,185 of 15,519
New member here.

My name is Finn, and I am from Canada. Coming into this forum already with a bit of gear, so I know how expensive everything is. I am already on a ramen diet (almost).

I have a PC (custom built) running into an Audioengine D1 to a Darkvoice 336SE to either a pair of ATH-M50 or T50RP Mk III (Talos modded). Also running from my DAC is my dad's old JVC stereo receiver into Polk TSx220B speakers.

Thanks, and I look forward to the knowledge and experience that this community can provide (hopefully, lol).

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #5,186 of 15,519
  New member here.

My name is Finn, and I am from Canada. Coming into this forum already with a bit of gear, so I know how expensive everything is. I am already on a ramen diet (almost).

I have a PC (custom built) running into an Audioengine D1 to a Darkvoice 336SE to either a pair of ATH-M50 or T50RP Mk III (Talos modded). Also running from my DAC is my dad's old JVC stereo receiver into Polk TSx220B speakers.

Thanks, and I look forward to the knowledge and experience that this community can provide (hopefully, lol).

Welcome, Finn! Let us know if you need more Ramen.   ---)

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #5,188 of 15,519

I am already on a ramen diet (almost).

Ramen,..My wallet is not a fan.

Well if you have access to your own kitchen and can buy cheap meat somewhere you can learn to make your own. Healthier than instant ramen and a lot cheaper than restaurant ramen. One bowl at a restaurant here is around $12, and that doesn't even include the fuel or Uber going to the nearest decent ramen joint. I can whip up several nights' worth of ramen broth, noodles, and toppings for that kind of money, as long as you do shio or shoyu, and not tonkotsu like I do (which takes at least six hours on a rolling boil to melt the collagen into the broth, which ups my electricity bill as it doesn't work on a slow cooker).

Version 1: Really cheap version

Broth:
Make chicken and pork broth along with two large onions and two whole garlic. and then after two hours, season with salt or soy sauce, black pepper, and gochujang (acts as preservative). Freeze in smalelr containers, pref. one serving size each.

Noodles:
Any cheap noodle in your local grocery store, but avoid Chinese egg noodles as they have a somewhat brackish flavor when cooked for any dish that has a broth. Best substitute: cheap instant noodles, or use the spaghettini closer in thickness to angel hair.

Toppings:
Chopped green onions and nori
Softboiled egg, or egg poached in the reheating broth
Natural pork rinds (roughly broken up) or pork  jerky (scissor cut into smaller bits)

Assembly:
Cook noodles as per instructions, but still somewhat firm. Place in bowl, pour boiling, reheated broth, then put in the rest of the toppings.

-------

Version 2 : Takes more time to cook on a weekend, costs a bit more, but you can still keep in the fridge and eat throughout the week.

Broth:
4 chicken carcass (the ribcage with meat in it, preferably with the neck still on)
500g Pork hocks (forelegs), cut into chunks
1 square Kombu leaf
Bonito flakes / 4tbsp dashi powder
2 heads from whole smoked fish (make pasta or sandwich spread from the rest of the fish)
1 ginger root, cut up (skin on)
2 whole garlic
2 whole onions, peeled and cut into quarters
Soy sauce/Salt, gochujang (better than plain miso as the chili acts as preservative), black pepper to taste

1. Wash chicken and pork then place into a large cauldron/Dutch oven with 2ltrs of water (and can still fit the bones).
2. Run heat on high until the water reaches a rolling boil, then discard the water (unless you have space to save it for cooking the noodles)
3. Wash the bones under running water while boiling another 2liters, making sure to scrape off the dark bits on the pork bones and chicken rib cage.
4. Place the chicken carcasses and pork hocks back into the boiling water and add all the other ingredients (EXCEPT soy sauce/salt and gochujang) , and keep on a rolling boil for one hour.
5. Top off water to original level, add the soy sauce/salt and gochujang. Let boil for an hour, taste, and season as needed.
6. Strain and serve, freeze the rest

Topping 1: Meat
2x250g slabs of Pork shoulder
Tamari or any premium brewed soy sauce
2tbsp sugar
100g (roughly) of ginger, chopped, skin on
10 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

1. Place pork shoulder in lightly oiled Dutch oven along with ginger and garlic.
2. Mix 250ml of Tamari, and 2tbsp sugar.
3. Pour liquid over the pork shoulder; add more if necessary to submerge pork
4. Using a curing/marinade syringe, get some of the marinade into the interior of the pork shoulder. Marinate for 1hr.
5. Heat to a boil on medium heat, then lower the heat and simmer for 2hrs.

Topping 2: Tare
1. After cooking the pork shoulder/s, let cool slightly and set aside the pork. Slice into pieces and place in coldest part of fridge.
2. Heat up the pan with the pork cooking liquid, and more ginger and garlic, and then boil down to a slightly thick, less watery, concentrated sauce.
3. Keep sauce in fridge until needed

Topping 3: Tamago
Six eggs
Tamari or any brewed soy sauce
Sugar

1. Soft boil the eggs. Gently place into boiling water, turn off the heat, and cook for 6mins. Remove from heat and into ice water.
2. After ten minutes, peel the eggs carefully
3. Place eggs in a Ziploc bag, mix 125ml Tamari and 1teaspoon sugar, and pour over the eggs.

Toppings 4: Etc
Spring onions
Bamboo shoots
Nori (dried seaweed)

1. Cut as needed

Noodles (Cook fresh as needed)
1 servings (or more as necessary) dried spaghettini (note: this assumes you can't get tsukemen cheap)
Salt
Water or leftover chicken-pork stock (see above)

1. Bring water or stock to a boil
2. Cook spaghettini until just about the point where it's fully cooked, ie, firmer than you normally would, using chopsticks to shake the noodles and keep them separate. 
3. Strain and set aside.

Assembly: 
1. Place cooked noodles in bowl, and cut up spring onion and nori.
2. Heat up broth with some tare mixed in (it will congeal in the fridge, so unless you make it fresh daily, you can't expect it to look like there's a tasty oil spill in the middle of your bowl like in a restaurant). 
3. Heat up the pork shoulder in the broth, but be careful as it will fall apart if you take too long in the boiling liquid. Set aside, then use soup laddles to heat up the egg in the same broth.
4. Pour boiling broth over the noodles.
5. Add pork, eggs, spring onion, and nori on top and serve.

Mine's a lot richer...six hours rolling boil to make the collagen broth then deep fried the pork belly slices. Managed to get six dinners out of that batch (although I messed up a few of the eggs).

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #5,189 of 15,519

Well if you have access to your own kitchen and can buy cheap meat somewhere you can learn to make your own. Healthier than instant ramen and a lot cheaper than restaurant ramen. One bowl at a restaurant here is around $12, and that doesn't even include the fuel or Uber going to the nearest decent ramen joint. I can whip up several nights' worth of ramen broth, noodles, and toppings for that kind of money, as long as you do shio or shoyu, and not tonkotsu like I do (which takes at least six hours on a rolling boil to melt the collagen into the broth, which ups my electricity bill as it doesn't work on a slow cooker).

Hahaha. Yes, I realize that ramen isn't healthy or particularly cheap. I do have a full kitchen, and use it to cook for myself. I was making a joke about the stereotype of having to eat ramen, because all of my money (what little there is) is being spent elsewhere. I sometimes have to remind myself that this is the internet, and sarcasm is often misunderstood or misinterpreted. But thank you for looking out for me.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #5,190 of 15,519

Hahaha. Yes, I realize that ramen isn't healthy or particularly cheap. I do have a full kitchen, and use it to cook for myself. I was making a joke about the stereotype of having to eat ramen, because all of my money (what little there is) is being spent elsewhere. I sometimes have to remind myself that this is the internet, and sarcasm is often misunderstood or misinterpreted. But thank you for looking out for me.

Well it has become such a trope that I actually know people who survive on instant noodles, while even back in college I've been dunking corn or kimchi along with pork rinds or jerky in the bowls. I think mot of it started from that interview with the street racer whose car was used on the first F&F flick (can't remember if it was the Supra or the Eclipse) - he said on the interview that he literally ate instant noodle dinners for two years saving up for a turbo. Partly though it was me crawling into the 7/11 between the campus and my off-campus dorm and finding the bao too soggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back