New Member Introductions thread
Nov 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4,561 of 15,538
Hi all first post and checking in! Current head gear consists of superlux hd668b fand Sony MDR-EX650 buds. Music tastes vary but anything non mainstream! EDM, Blues, rock .

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #4,562 of 15,538
Hello everyone! Extremely new to the audiophile world, but I really enjoy looking at other people's reviews and perspectives on things in these forums! I enjoy listening to basically anything from Monstercat, Panic! at the Disco and also like to game. Rocking the Apple Earpods and kind of want to upgrade...

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #4,563 of 15,538
Currently I am looking for an amp that can drive my HD800's. My budget is around $500-800 in either the new or used markets. Some of the amps listed are portable but it doesn't have to be. Portability isn't a necessity but I would also be able to drive my iems with them and the option to move around is nice. As of right now some contenders on my list are:

1. Violectric HPA V200 ~$750 used
  2. Centrance HIFI-M8 ~$500 used
  3. Lake People G109-P $700 new
  4. Cavalli Liquid Carbon ~$600 used
  5. Chord mojo $550 new
  6. Resonessence Labs Concero HP ~$500 used

Also if it matters I currently have both the super dupont and anaxilus mods installed. I also understand that none of these are going to drive them perfectly but my sadly my budget is what it is :/

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #4,564 of 15,538
Hello everyone!

I recently got into the audiophile with some introductory HD 598 SEs, and there was a bundle with the FiiO E10K. I've recently just read that I didn't really need to get that DAC, but hey it makes it lowering and raising the volume easier and getting that bass when I need it playing Battlefield 1.

The reason I got into high quality cans is because I got sick of my gaming headset. The sound started to get muddled, and when deciding to replace them, I just knew I needed to get something outside of the gamer realm. I not only use these headphones for gaming (and they shine in FPSes), I am also a music junky. I discovered FLAC and being someone who used to be in a band recording in studios, I can hear the difference between 320 kbps .mp3 and a 900-1500 kbps .flac. It's not night-and-day but the pronunciation in the highs and lows are apparent. Also being that I have studied Audiology, I also can hear the difference in the different frequency ranges that we commonly hear. Getting high quality headphones were just an obvious answer to my dilemma of getting high quality sound.

Now I am starting to wander and do research into getting a turntable setup to compliment these headphones. I really want to get into the raw clarity that comes from wax. So I am looking into a solid entry-level turntable set up especially suited for my preferred listening experience (my headphones...I just love enveloping myself in art). So, that is where I am at in the HiFi journey. If anyone has any suggestions on where I should start in this endeavor please don't hesitate to help (specifically amps and dacs that would be useful).

My end goal once my life gets together is getting a LCD-3 and AT-LP1240 set up.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #4,565 of 15,538
Hello everyone!

I recently got into the audiophile with some introductory HD 598 SEs, and there was a bundle with the FiiO E10K. I've recently just read that I didn't really need to get that DAC, but hey it makes it lowering and raising the volume easier and getting that bass when I need it playing Battlefield 1.

The reason I got into high quality cans is because I got sick of my gaming headset. The sound started to get muddled, and when deciding to replace them, I just knew I needed to get something outside of the gamer realm. I not only use these headphones for gaming (and they shine in FPSes), I am also a music junky. I discovered FLAC and being someone who used to be in a band recording in studios, I can hear the difference between 320 kbps .mp3 and a 900-1500 kbps .flac. It's not night-and-day but the pronunciation in the highs and lows are apparent. Also being that I have studied Audiology, I also can hear the difference in the different frequency ranges that we commonly hear. Getting high quality headphones were just an obvious answer to my dilemma of getting high quality sound.

Now I am starting to wander and do research into getting a turntable setup to compliment these headphones. I really want to get into the raw clarity that comes from wax. So I am looking into a solid entry-level turntable set up especially suited for my preferred listening experience (my headphones...I just love enveloping myself in art). So, that is where I am at in the HiFi journey. If anyone has any suggestions on where I should start in this endeavor please don't hesitate to help (specifically amps and dacs that would be useful).

My end goal once my life gets together is getting a LCD-3 and AT-LP1240 set up.

Why would you need a turntable? Vinyls are not going to give you higher sound quality than flacs with a good $100 DAC. I highly advise you stay away from vinyl as they hold no superior fidelity comparatively and actually have more distortion. A good DAC option would be the schiit modi but I doubt you need it, the difference compared to the fiio will not be huge. If raw clarity is what you desire, go for a good DAC and solid state amp rather than vinyl

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #4,566 of 15,538
Hello everyone. Im a new member but I have always looked up threads on this for audiophile advise and references. I wanted make an account i could actually ask any questions about audiophile related stuff. The reason i got into high end headphones was because of my first pair of headphones from sennheiser. From then I just researched over the years about high end headphones and then gradually getting the audiophile world. My current gear is the Mr. Speakers Ether C with the Schiit audio Asgard 2 amp and Bifrost DAC.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #4,567 of 15,538
nhasian,

I'm a jazz drummer so as you'd expect, I listen to a lot of jazz. But I also listen to rock, contemporary classical music and folkloric music from around the world... but mostly India, Africa, and Gamelan (Java, Bali).

The majority of my listening is records. Like most folks, I listen for pleasure, but also study & analysis. Detail is very important to me. I really want to hear the tiny details and full tambor of the instruments. I also want separation so I can clearly hear what each person is playing. But I also want to enjoy it!

My current set up is a Bryston bha-1 Headphone amplifier and either Grado p500 or Hifiman HE-6 headphones. I've tried Burson Soloist, schiit Asguard and Lyr for amplifiers. All were good, but none thrilled me. Beyerdynamic too... did not like that one at all. I'm not totally convinced by the Bryston. The Schiit's were more enjoyable, but it's hard to let go of the clarity of the BHA-1.

I used Grado 225's for years and loved them but ultimately found the low end lacking. P500's took care of that, but I felt I lost some of the richness of the cymbals. From all my playing I'm acutely aware how cymbals sound. I hate it when they're presented as just treble. The Hifiman HE-6's present the tone of the instruments beautifully, but lack the speed and impact of the P500's.

Despite all this nitpicking, I enjoy and appreciate the sound from these different sources, and am very grateful I can use such fantastic equipment!

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #4,568 of 15,538
Hi everyone,

I'm a electronics engineer and music producer. I decided to join maybe help clear up misconceptions and help explain what happens on the control room side of life. I also build tube gear for the pro audio community.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,569 of 15,538
Hello Guys

I just recently joined this forum so I can only post here atm...

I want to take the first step into audiophile territory. Im tired of hearing poor quality music on my smartphone and laptop, so i read dozens of online reviews, magazines, watched vídeo reviews.... And im still not sure where to start.

Shiit, jds labs, ifi, chord, sennheiser, akg, oppo, lh labs, ibasso, chord.... There are so many brands, with so much (theoretically) good gear that its easy to her lost.

Until a week ago i was pretty sure I wanted something like:

Good closed cans (home and portable use) + integrated amplifier (onkyo a-9010?) + turntable + speakers. And include maybe a dac/amp for portable use.

Then I read Vinyl is not better than HD audio, so i let it be...

I need:

-closed back over ear headphones
-portable dac/amp combo
-standmounts or floorstand speakers
-something that can be connected to my laptop, smartphone, tv...
-at least 24/192khz (DSD is a Bonus tho i'm not sure I can hear the difference)
-something that will deliver for 4/5 years
-budget up to 1000€ (something like 1200$ I guess)

I mainly listen to rock, indie, alternative, jazz, blues and a rarely dance music. bass is not that importante for me, I prefer the clarity of the instruments and voice.

Would somebody be so kind as to give me some guidance? The dac/amp should be the difficult part and should be probably adressed first...

Ill be very grateful

Cheers guys

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #4,570 of 15,538
Currently I am looking for an amp that can drive my HD800's. My budget is around $500-800 in either the new or used markets. [COLOR=000000]Some of the amps listed are portable but it doesn't have to be. Portability isn't a necessity but I would also be able to drive my iems with them and the option to move around is nice. As of right now some contenders on my list are:[/COLOR]

1. [COLOR=000000]Violectric HPA V200 ~$750 used
  1. [COLOR=000000]Centrance HIFI-M8 ~$500 used[/COLOR]
  2. [COLOR=000000]Lake People G109-P $700 new[/COLOR]
  3. [COLOR=000000]Cavalli Liquid Carbon ~$600 used[/COLOR]
  4. [COLOR=000000]Chord mojo $550 new[/COLOR]
  5. [COLOR=000000]Resonessence Labs Concero HP ~$500 used[/COLOR]

[/color]
[COLOR=000000]Also if it matters I currently have both the super dupont and anaxilus mods installed. I also understand that none of these are going to drive them perfectly but my sadly my budget is what it is :/[/color]

I just listened yesterday to liquid carbon, hd800 and mojo for the Dac section. Using a mix of Tidal and DSD files I was really blown away.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,571 of 15,538
  Hi everyone,

I'm a electronics engineer and music producer. I decided to join maybe help clear up misconceptions and help explain what happens on the control room side of life. I also build tube gear for the pro audio community.

Tube amps can sound great when paired with the right headphones, and they can also be a work of art. Do you have any pics of completed projects?

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,572 of 15,538
G'day Folks

Standard post.
New here.
Been lurking for years it seems.

Been living in a house with an empty block either side and the only immediately adjacent neighbour, a profoundly deaf ww2 vet (lovely guy) in the house up behind us.

So the point I'm making is up 'til relatively recently there's been absolutely no limitation to pumping up the volume of the various sound systems I've collected. Then the owners sold the house.
Fair enough, so we've moved, and coincidentally we've got a large empty block between us and the ocean, but directly behind us, neighbours with school age kids.

So my random insomniac 3am crank up the stereo shennanigans had sadly been reined in. ...and so, the inevitable fast track to headphone bliss  ...wooohoo!
And consequently, I thought I'd drop in and say thanks for all the input and insight that you've made available here.

I made be getting older, but I'm going out rocking.
Cheers everybody.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #4,573 of 15,538
  Living in Holland and having a Sennheiser HDR120 wireless but using this sometimes.
It is connected to my Minix NEO 8H mediaplayer or my ONKYO TX-NR818.
But i want more sound and just ordered a Headphone amp and wooden headphones on Aliexpress at the 11-11 festival.
the Amp is the Little Dot MKII and the Headphone the (what's in a name) NAOI B7

HTB1R6NlLXXXXXXnXXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

Forgot to mention that i also have a copple of Awei ESQ8i and Q3 and ES-Q5 IEM. But what i don't like is the Contact sound that comes when the wires move over my shirt. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #4,574 of 15,538
Hello all!

I've been reading the forums for years now, but haven't ever felt I've had anything to contribute, so never registered.

My current pair of headphones are Sennheiser MM 550-X and I've really enjoyed them so far, especially since they're targeted towards travel / mobile work.

Now I decided to register as I'm in the market for some new headphones, in particular the Audeze LCD-XC.

I'm excited to participate in some of the great conversations here, as well with this great community!

Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back