New Member Introductions thread
Nov 10, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4,531 of 15,452
Hi, new member here, long-time Stax owner and lover. I'd like to ask about the advisability of adding acoustic damping material inside the outer part of Lambda earcups, like Stax did with, eg, the older SR-Xs, to dampen the outward sound radiation to minimize phasey sound due to comb filtering from internally-reflected-back sound. SR-Xs without their damping material sound like Lambdas; Lambdas with damping material sound like SR-Xs. I find the sound WITH outer damping material more natural, and the sound WITHOUT it like artificially-added "air" or ambience. Would like to hear what others think about this.

That's interesting stuff. There are a number of stax fans around here so go look for some stax threads and I bet someone can help you out.

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4,533 of 15,452
Hello to all!

This is my first post as a new member. I'm a 50 year old hifi geezer from the Netherlands.
I've been interested in hifi stuff for a long time. Over the years I've owned several headphones but most of them not worth bragging about. Never really needed them I guess.
Times change and lately I've found myself using my Shure in-ears a lot. Usually while working out, but also sitting down to do some proper listening.
To be more flexible in using headphones for iPhone, iPad, pc and hook ink up to amp I've bought myself a Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless. Either this one or the Momentum 2.0 Wireless. To me this P7 plays juuuuust right.
I'm here to learn more about head gear, headphone amps and just for fun as well.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #4,538 of 15,452
Greetings, I'm eamou :D

Been lurking here for the past few months and recently purchased a pair of the Massrop Senn HD6XXs, super excited for those to arrive.
I'm currently in the market for an amp, mainly looking at Schiit models like the Valhalla 2 and Asgard 2.

I'm upgrading my audio from a HyperX Cloud gaming headset and the soundmagic E10 IEMs, so I imagine the HD6XXs and whatever amp I get will sound a *tad* better.

I'm also a drummer and bass guitarist so if anyone has any questions about those feel free to PM.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #4,539 of 15,452
Quote:
  Greetings, I'm eamou :D

Been lurking here for the past few months and recently purchased a pair of the Massrop Senn HD6XXs, super excited for those to arrive.
I'm currently in the market for an amp, mainly looking at Schiit models like the Valhalla 2 and Asgard 2.

I'm upgrading my audio from a HyperX Cloud gaming headset and the soundmagic E10 IEMs, so I imagine the HD6XXs and whatever amp I get will sound a *tad* better.

Hi there, I can rep for the shiit audio brand as I have the Lyr with LISST tubes as well as the modi 2 uber. If you have any questions I can try to give you my opinions on them. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #4,540 of 15,452
Okay awesome, I do have a couple of questions actually.

I've read that the Senn HD650s sound great with tube amps, hence why I'm looking at the valhalla. However, I'm also looking at the asgard 2 as the valhalla is pretty expensive and may be just outside of my budget. Would you recommend getting a tube amp for the 650s over a solid state? With solid state, I've read that the magni 2/objective 2 amps can sound quite cold whereas the asgard is a more warm, "full" sound, which I think would sound better with the 650s as they are supposedly slightly warm headphones.

What would you recommend? If tube amps are the way to go, are there any amps similar to valhalla but with a somewhat lower price, in case I can't get the valhalla?

Many thanks.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #4,541 of 15,452
  Okay awesome, I do have a couple of questions actually.

I've read that the Senn HD650s sound great with tube amps, hence why I'm looking at the valhalla. However, I'm also looking at the asgard 2 as the valhalla is pretty expensive and may be just outside of my budget. Would you recommend getting a tube amp for the 650s over a solid state? With solid state, I've read that the magni 2/objective 2 amps can sound quite cold whereas the asgard is a more warm, "full" sound, which I think would sound better with the 650s as they are supposedly slightly warm headphones.

What would you recommend? If tube amps are the way to go, are there any amps similar to valhalla but with a somewhat lower price, in case I can't get the valhalla?

Many thanks.

Valhalla is a tube amplifier, but is not warm.

The Asgard is a very good match with the HD650, despite it being a solid state. From my previous listening experiences, I would heartily recommend the Asgard for HD650. It also will not leave you shy of options in the future.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4,542 of 15,452
Sounds good, thanks for your reply!

Would you recommend getting a DAC with it? I've heard that a good source goes a long way with the Asgard.

I don't have any static/interference from my current on board audio so a DAC hasn't really been a priority as of yet.

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #4,543 of 15,452
  Sounds good, thanks for your reply!

Would you recommend getting a DAC with it? I've heard that a good source goes a long way with the Asgard.

I don't have any static/interference from my current on board audio so a DAC hasn't really been a priority as of yet.

Talking about DACs here is almost like talking about religion or politics on normal sites 
biggrin.gif

Probably best to stick with your current board, until you can listen to some DAC options for yourself. Enjoy!

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #4,545 of 15,452

Many thanks.

Personally I only have experience in owning schiit tube amps and I would reccomend them fully, all the other one I have heard are in summit-fi level. 

I would get a DAC depending on the sound card currently in your computer, and depending on the source files you are playing (MP3, FLAC, DSD, etc.). I have heard a good amount of top teir DACs but have not spent enough time with them to say wether or not they are worth taking out a second mortgage on. Personally I think the the modi 2 uber does the job just fine. Spending more on a DAC will get you other features, and allegedly sound improvements. Though as stated by sheldaze this is a widely debated topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back