New Member Introductions thread
Apr 18, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #3,481 of 15,567
Well hello everyone! 

My name is Tyler and I am a n00b/new audiophile, and I am happy to be acquainted with everyone. 
smily_headphones1.gif

EQUIPMENT I OWN/USE:
  1. Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP
  2. Logitech Z623 THX Speakers
  3. Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro-250Ohms
  4. LG G5 w/ B&O Module DAC (Which I got as a gift).

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,482 of 15,567
Hello, I've had a fondness for good, as I thought, headphones for years with a preference for Sennheiser with a pair of cx180s being the first pair of in ears, that I bought (I think) and have stuck with in ears ever since, with the exception of a free pair of 'skull candy' and recently bought some AKG 451.

Over the years of using Walk/Discmans, iPods, iRivers and now mobile phones as a music source, in the past few years I have also moved from mp3 through to FLAC. Now I own Sennheiser IE80 and have to ask now what to do with regards to burn in and amplification using them with a Note 4 which will be replaced quite likely in the next 6 months.]

I look forward to learning and probably embarrassing myself with my ignorance on the topic but I will try not too.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #3,483 of 15,567
  Hi, I'm Lynn & I'm new here.

I joined to follow & chime in on iPod modding threads.

I just modded a 5.5 gen 80 GB iPd with the Tarkan CF adapter & CF to SD adapter. iflash.xzy It all went smoothly.

I'll post details in the iPod modding thread.

Lynn

Hi Lynn!

Welcome to Head-Fi!

I modded my Wife's 5.5 (bought new) to a 120GB HDD, then (when that started failing) to a 160GB, then THAT started failing after a couple years so I took her to a 256GB SSD.
She's SO proud of that little iPod, LOL. She refuses to give it up, it's like an old friend. 

Well done on you, it can be tricky!

PuterPro

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3,485 of 15,567
  Hello, I've had a fondness for good, as I thought, headphones for years with a preference for Sennheiser with a pair of cx180s being the first pair of in ears, that I bought (I think) and have stuck with in ears ever since, with the exception of a free pair of 'skull candy' and recently bought some AKG 451.

Over the years of using Walk/Discmans, iPods, iRivers and now mobile phones as a music source, in the past few years I have also moved from mp3 through to FLAC. Now I own Sennheiser IE80 and have to ask now what to do with regards to burn in and amplification using them with a Note 4 which will be replaced quite likely in the next 6 months.]

I look forward to learning and probably embarrassing myself with my ignorance on the topic but I will try not too.

Hey CoffeeJohnny!

Welcome! Love the handle!

No need to be embarrassed, every single person on here started as a n00b !! The whole idea of the place is a place to share and get help.

I also have a Note 4, love it, but mine's on Verizon so I can't root it like I've done on every phone since the original G1 started the Android phone market. Grrr. LOL!
I did manage to get Super User setup, so I still can do some things.

Once you can do so, post in the Headphones area, there's lots of people that can help you on the burn in of your Sennheiser's (I have some very old but beloved HD 580's). 
~SEARCH~ FIRST!! That's probably been asked and answered a dozen times.

Personally, I believe in burn in for speakers / headphones, am {very mildly} on the fence about cables (but tend not to believe it), and think that the capacitors in an electronic device can "settle in" but call BS on other electronic components requiring burn in.
At 12 years old I was reading (and understood) Quantum Mechanics, later studied Nuclear Physics, as well as advanced Electronics theory. 
There is not some sort of magic molecular change that occurs in an Op-amp after 40 hours of burn in. 
Not a fan of Unicorn tears sprinkled on my Unobtanium cables woven by Elves in a Fairy circle on a moonless night. 
evil_smiley.gif

As far a a headphone amp - there's many choices. If you can afford it, the Chord Mojo seems to be the current cat's meow.

I did a lot or research (a LOT! I was recovering from surgery, was house bound for a month!) and ended up with an iBasso D14.
Great bang for the buck, and drives my 600 ohm, rather inefficient, HD580's to a nice loud volume. Great product to get your feet wet in the game.

It won't deafen you, (unless you use high efficiency IEM's) but sounds pretty good. It can also operate as a standalone DAC so I currently use it on my main system as well.

Again. Welcome, and don't be shy, most here are really nice and very helpful!

PuterPro

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,486 of 15,567
Apparently I've been a member here for 6 years, though I spent a lot more time lurking and hadn't been around in years til today.

And apparently I'm new to being an audiophile, though I thought I was already an audiophile.

Long story short: My best pair of headphones is an HD681 EVO. Not great, but not terribad I guess.

I had a xonar D1 soundcard for a long time, no amp. It was better than anything before, including the onboard motherboard sound, and I could make out left or right, and there was ok channel separation and etc.

Recently my kid needed a soundcard for the server I converted into a PC for him. So I bought a soundblaster z, with a built-in headphone amp, and gave him the xonar.

I tested the soundblaster z on two songs I know pretty well from different genres (that were both on my playlist next to each other) - We Share Our Mother's Health by the Knife and Future Starts Slow by The Kills.

I thought I could actually hear the music before. Now I actually can. I can separate duet singers, hear background singers, hear crazy sounds meant to travel from one ear to the other (the Knife song is great for testing this), etc., etc. 

I can actually hear mids and etc. etc. I'm friggin' blown away. I always thought when people were talking about this or that pair of headphones being weak on bass or mids or whatever that they were sortof just poking at things, being picky, or maybe hearing what they wanted to hear. Now that everything is a separate sound and I can actually hear things for real, I totally get it.

But now some songs sound like crap, unfortunately, and a few of the songs where I rode some of the singing or etc. now sound like they're being done by some kereoke person. I'm pretty sure my headphones are the limit now (in the great race of the neverending battle for better sound). So any suggestions are  welcome. But mostly I just wanted to come in and say "oh, now I get it," and have somebody who has been through this before say "yeah, we told you."

/spends the rest of the day listening to all his music over again

:D

(Edit)
Apparently some of the kereoke was from the SBX pro studio surround sound/and or crystalizer. Hadn't seen the setting, didn't realize sbx pro studio was activated right out of the box. Even with it off music is much better. Now I don't know if I should use it or not.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3,487 of 15,567
Hi @PuterPro and thanks for the welcome, I am coming off of a 3 year illness, 6 month bed ridden and 18 month house bound but only now I'm enjoying music again so am just testing the water. I think if I can get an amp for iro £100 then I will be happy. If this goes the way of coffee then it could get messy. Before I got rid of it I had a £1300 Espresso Machine and £1800 Grinder as well as some pricey ancillaries that was after starting out basic and developing Upgrade-itis

I am already reading the threads on the IEMs as such starting to find out a lot of gaps in my knowledge, i am totally clueless haha don't even understand impedance yet, my studies were biochemistry related not Physics unfortunately. 

It is going to be fun learning.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #3,489 of 15,567
  Hi @PuterPro and thanks for the welcome, I am coming off of a 3 year illness, 6 month bed ridden and 18 month house bound but only now I'm enjoying music again so am just testing the water. I think if I can get an amp for iro £100 then I will be happy. If this goes the way of coffee then it could get messy. Before I got rid of it I had a £1300 Espresso Machine and £1800 Grinder as well as some pricey ancillaries that was after starting out basic and developing Upgrade-itis

I am already reading the threads on the IEMs as such starting to find out a lot of gaps in my knowledge, i am totally clueless haha don't even understand impedance yet, my studies were biochemistry related not Physics unfortunately. 

It is going to be fun learning.

@CoffeeJohnny  WOW! And I was bitching about being laid up for a month after throat surgery! I certainly understand your funds being limited at this time.

The iBasso D14 I mentioned cost $199 US, even with the conversion rate, I think that's above your budget. It is both a DAC and an AMP. If you've got an iPhone that's a later model I understand they have a not bad DAC built in, so you could get away with an amp only.
It certainly is an expensive hobby!

£1800 GRINDER?!!? OMG! I didn't know thy made such a thing. The Espresso machines I get, but a GRINDER?!!!?? Did it massage the beans daily in Sake like they do in Japan for the Kobe beef cows? 
biggrin.gif
 Guess I live a sheltered life.
Yeah, that was an expensive hobby. If I ever get near you you're gonna have to sport me a cuppa! Even with your existing setup!

Well, I was the Physics guy (although I did start out in High school with a love for organic chemistry).

Impedance is pretty easy - think of your amp as a garden hose. If you insert a valve that controls the flow of water, you can change the flow. The more you close the valve the more you impede the flow.
More exactly, lets say you used a sprinkler to spray your flowers. Small holes = less water sprayed, less work done (more impedance), need a higher pressure.
Headphones and IEM's convert the back & forth flow of electricity (AC) to a movement that pushes the air back & forth (The diaphragm or sometimes in IEM's, the armature). Some are very efficient, some not so much, depending on design, materials, etc.
More efficient = louder for the same amount of electricity (called Sound Pressure Level or SPL) A related spec in headphone shopping.

Larger headphones have larger diaphragms (duh), so require MORE electricity, which from the amp's point of view, it resists more (or technically, impedes more). As a rule IEM's tend to have low impedance (20-50 OHMS), over the ear headphones, more (200 - 300 OHMS)
I'm just starting in this headphone thing so someone may (please!) correct my ranges for those, but the idea's basically correct.

Technical note many get confused on when first learning this stuff - RESISTANCE is not IMPEDANCE (similar is not equal). Resistance is an opposition to flow by Direct Current (one way flow, like from a battery).
Impedance is opposition to Alternating Current (flow that reverses course periodically, like the waves made by the back and forth movement of air producing music in a headphone)

In Audio, we deal mostly in impedance. It's a fine point, and it's strictly technical, but I'm a big fan of learning the terms used in a field of study.
Words have meaning. If I'm removing a bolt on an engine and I ask you for a 1/4" wrench (10mm spanner) and you hand me a banana instead... you get it.

IEM's = Low impedance
Full headphones = High impedance.
More impedance = more work being done, you need a bigger amp to keep up.

You owe me a cuppa! LOL! Feel better.

New guy here starting from scratch in Seattle, already drowning in information and plotting how to efficiently destroy my savings :).

@bigredking- Now THAT was funny!! You at least have a grasp of what's needed, a larger brain and very deep pockets! Welcome to the madness!

Puterpro

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,490 of 15,567
Hi Everybody,

My name is Dave and I'm an engineer/project manager at Etymotic Research.

I used to spend a lot of time at Head-Fi before I started working at ER.  I figure it's time to jump back in.

I had the chance to talk to some of you over the weekend at Axpona.  It'll be nice to talk to more of you here.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #3,491 of 15,567
Thanks again @PuterPro to impede makes sense now, as for other terms theres a thread on here to hopefully help me understand. "It sounded wet" Wet?? ha well I am sure I will get there. The D14 is £175 I might see if I can get it from the US or go for the Oppo HA2. As for the Grinder think of it as the amp to the espresso machines speaker. The better the grinder the greater the consistency of grind. I've recently backed a kick starter where I will be getting 400,600,800,1000micron sieves which will allow me to make better pour over coffee.

What benefits musically is there to be had from rooting a phone? Is it technical, as in freeing up some more processing power? Or is it more to do with the players that can be accessed? something else? Anyway I will take some more time to look through here and see what I can learn but if others wish to point out something to me please don't hesitate.

I am glad to have joined here and really look forward to learning what I can. I'm genuinely amazed at what there is to learn It seems a great forum.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #3,492 of 15,567
  Hi Everybody,

My name is Dave and I'm an engineer/project manager at Etymotic Research.

I used to spend a lot of time at Head-Fi before I started working at ER.  I figure it's time to jump back in.

I had the chance to talk to some of you over the weekend at Axpona.  It'll be nice to talk to more of you here.

Welcome, I expect you will become quite popular very quickly. Cant wait to hear/read more about the ER4-SR/XR.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,493 of 15,567
  Welcome, I expect you will become quite popular very quickly. Cant wait to hear/read more about the ER4-SR/XR.

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'll be happy to help fill in some info on the new models.

It's fun to dig back into Head-Fi.  I was an avid DIYer before I started working on headphone designs, so I enjoy the community.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, I walked away for a while because I started working at Etymotic and then I focused my efforts on other DIY hobbies (like building guitar pedals and amps).  I think it's time to dig back in here.  I still have a lot of the headphone amps kicking around that I built back then.  Maybe I'll build some new ones.

Now I just need to get my post count up high enough so that I can change my avatar.  

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #3,495 of 15,567
Hi there,

I've been a long-time headphone listener, but only starting to get serious about my gear recently. Currently using a PC setup with an ESI Juli into a Beresford Capella headphone amp. Have just acquired a pair of Musical Fidelity MF200s which I'm just getting to know, alongside a Superlux 668b (great VFM), some old Sennheiser 497s, and an AKG 511. Have an old iRiver H300 which has served me well for a long time, but looks like it's time to consider getting a FiiO X3 I think. Also a big fan of the Trinity Audio IEMs - have the Hyperions, and really enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back