New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #8,311 of 8,377

Do you mean you listened to Layla 2 and found too much bass?????

Have you tune down the bass knob? If you find Layla 2 too much bass at the minimum switch, I think you can leave the Roxanne alone and look for other IEMs.

Good luck!

what version I do not remember, I asked a friend he replied me that it is "Laya".

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #8,312 of 8,377
  what version I do not remember, I asked a friend he replied me that it is "Laya".

It is your hearing, and you know best on what you like/dislike.

I had the Roxanne 2 before upgrading to Layla 2. Both are superb IEMs, and much better than Noble K10U or Katana that I was trying out extensively at the audio store to my sound preference.

Roxanne 2 has really solid bass, much better than Noble IEMs, even if you have not tuned the bass knob up. It is slightly over empowering for some music, and Layla 2 is a better step up in this area. Still solid bass, but smoother and with better balance with superb details and imaging.

It is picky with the source though, as it really projects the true sound quality of the DAPs. I had used it with different DAP (owned DX90, ZX2, Plenue, Calyx M, Opus#1, QP1R, Mojo, etc., and tried audition with WM1A, WM1Z) and found Calyx M the best sound quality which is really musical with nice imaging, engaging and smooth non-fatigue music.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #8,313 of 8,377

It is your hearing, and you know best on what you like/dislike.

I had the Roxanne 2 before upgrading to Layla 2. Both are superb IEMs, and much better than Noble K10U or Katana that I was trying out extensively at the audio store to my sound preference.

Roxanne 2 has really solid bass, much better than Noble IEMs, even if you have not tuned the bass knob up. It is slightly over empowering for some music, and Layla 2 is a better step up in this area. Still solid bass, but smoother and with better balance with superb details and imaging.

It is picky with the source though, as it really projects the true sound quality of the DAPs. I had used it with different DAP (owned DX90, ZX2, Plenue, Calyx M, Opus#1, QP1R, Mojo, etc., and tried audition with WM1A, WM1Z) and found Calyx M the best sound quality which is really musical with nice imaging, engaging and smooth non-fatigue music.

hearing we are different, someone can hear better and who is worse.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #8,315 of 8,377
I think it's to do with the shapes and sizes of our ear canals, probably will affect the internal resonance frequencies etc. Like how the dimensions of the listening room will affect the sound frequencies we hear. Whereas DAP should be less unpredictable.

Agree with you. That is why no IEM is best for every listener, and no IEM is worse for all.

Same goes with DAPs.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8,317 of 8,377
  which version you think is best?

The version (applies to both IEMs and DAPs) that makes you enjoy the music is the best.

Some DAPs/IEMSs let you hear lots of details, but not musical.

Some IEMs deliver sound that is smooth and musical, but can only listen in a quiet room - poor isolation, or difficult to fit your ears.

I like the sound that makes listening smooth and enjoyable, non-fatigue and not tiring. A sound that allows listening for hours yet still yearns for more.

Own and sold many IEMs and DAPs, and concluded that things have improved a lot for the past few years. It is quite easy to find either DAPs and IEMs that delivers lots of details, but most of them lacks musicality and imaging. You can easily hear micro details with the most modern player today but many sound weird and tiring after a short while.

To summarise, most users in this forum praises only the most recent (likely the most expensive) IEMs or DAPs that they have bought. This may be true to some, but most are exaggerated reviews.

So if you want to buy the "best" IEM or DAP in the market, you can either read the thread with the longest forum thread or with the highest ratings, buy it and just believe that it is the "best" since everyone says it is the best, or you can go to a reputable audio store that allows you to do extensive auction and find one that you cannot put down after a long listening.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #8,318 of 8,377
[COLOR=111111]which version you think is best?[/COLOR]

The general concensus is whatever sounds best to your ears. Or be like me, yolo and get a custom Roxanne without having listened to them first (after doing 8 hours research for 3 straight weeks to determine their sound signature) and then win a free Mojo on the side. :)

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #8,319 of 8,377
The general concensus is whatever sounds best to your ears. Or be like me, yolo and get a custom Roxanne without having listened to them first (after doing 8 hours research for 3 straight weeks to determine their sound signature) and then win a free Mojo on the side. :)

there are no samples in the second version, and I must first listen before you buy.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #8,320 of 8,377
Just picked up the first version of the AK roxannes, and am loving the signature much more than any of the other TOTL iems I have tried (k10, k10encore, ref1, se846, ie800). The only problem for me is that these are extremely massive. I read through some of the posts in this thread and observed that there is a newer smaller version (performance series)? Whats the difference in sound and size between Performance Series, Roxanne 2 Full Metal Jacket, and the AK version that I have?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #8,322 of 8,377
if am not mistaken, the Roxanne and the andromeda basically sound the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back