New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Nov 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #8,191 of 8,377

Sorry but not a big believer on cable having a difference in sound quality, but for built quality, I used to like Whiplash Twag before it goes crazy in pricing.

For JH sirens series (Angie, Rosie, Roxanne, Layla), I like the Moon Audio Black Dragon as it has literally zero microphonics, with a nice braiding and understated looks. Connectors, molding areas all look very well built.

Can't comment on the sound difference, but the Layla and Roxanne sounds really good, even with just the original cable.

I will need first to listen, compare and then make the decision.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #8,193 of 8,377
They are totally different.
Angie is for studio monitoring with less bass emphasize comparing to Layla.
Layla is also for studio monitoring with superior details and clarity comparing to Angie.

Roxanne on the other hand, has a more powerful bass and impact comparing to those two.
Roxanne has less clarity to Layla and could be muddy sometimes.

But the roxanne can keep up with the layla right?

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #8,194 of 8,377
But the roxanne can keep up with the layla right?

The two go different direction. It depends on what sound signature you prefer.
Roxanne has more impact and more engaging comparing to Layla.
Layla is more versatile due to its monitoring signature.

You better compare them yourself.

IMO, I prefer Roxanne with a good upgrade cable.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8,195 of 8,377
We have different preference. Good to hear and compare based on your own preference.

I find Layla more engaging and smooth though, and not lacking in bass (right amount at 12 o'clock setting), vs slightly overpowering bass in Roxanne.

Both are the best IEMs, and the choice will be your preference. And price of course.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #8,196 of 8,377
I'm stuck with a dilemma here and I'm not sure what to do. I love the roxanne, it sounds amazing to me. I've tried 10+ over different high end IEMs (Campfire, other JH, Westone, Shure, T8IE) and none of them really made me say wow like roxanne does. Its a little weird, my personal favourite IEM is the ER4S and I love the detailed sound of ER4 with the tiny bit of bass that comes along with it. I've always disliked warm/bassy IEMs because I've never liked how bass sounded on IEMs. Now, the Roxanne is the first and only IEM that clicked in terms of how the bass sounded, even when I crank the bass knob up to 3PM. The bass has the correct amount of punch and doesn't feel overly bloated, and the vocals and trebles continue to sound smooth while retaining clarity which many other IEM's that I've tried don't. The short story here is that Roxannes sounded great to my ears and I don't think I could find another earphones that sounded better.

Now heres the problem. I've got the universal roxanne 2 and the build is atrocious. In less than a month, I've RMAed it 3 times and every time the glue on the backplate falls out while the 3rd time included a cable problem on top of the backplate issue. As much as I like how it sounds, it simply doesn't make sense for me to continue to use such a shabbily built earpiece, worrying that the backplate will fall out of the newest set that I've got. I'm not entirely sure what I should do. Do the JH customs have build related problems as well?

A couple of options:

1. Customs JH roxanne. I'm not sure if I can continue to trust the build quality of JH products with my bad experience, so I'm going to take the worse case scenario. Are there any big issues that people had with custom roxanne?

2. Any other earpiece recommendations. I've tried many IEMs, none of them sounded great like the roxannes, or too different from my ER4S to justify a purchase. My personal favourite setting for the roxannes is to have it at 10AM - 11AM bass knob. I've tried other products,
- JH Rosie sounded nice, but the bass sounded off. Anywhere higher than 0% bass is a straight turn off for me, but 0% rosie sounds decent.
- Angie 2 sounded bad to me, the sound feels like its muffled to me similar to westone's house sound.
- Layla sounded great, but I've found that it suffer from a similar "muffled" feeling as angie 2 (to a lesser extent). Also reminds me closely to my Er4 at 0% bass while turning up the bass doesn't sound good to me.
- Campfire Vega and Dorado - trebles feels too weak, but bass/mids sounded great.
- Campfire andromeda - I'm surprised at how harsh the trebles sounded. Not a comfortable sound to listen to for long, and the fitting is odd with the edges of the IEM.
- AK T8IE - Not a very big fan of U shaped EQ, although it sounded great on electronic music, rock sounds terrible with the vocals sounding weak.
- Westone W50/W60 - W50 sounded like trash to me. Its muffled, like the other westone IEMs. W60 seem to move away from the muffled sound (still has traces of it) but doesn't impress me anywhere else my ER4 don't already do. Bass is stronger than the ER4, but nowhere as solid as the Roxannes.
- DITA the brass - I tried this for a short period of time and my impression is that this is a very well balanced IEM, but the fitting and isolation feels really bad. Partly because of its weight perhaps, but I couldn't get a nice fit on this. This felt like ER4S with slightly more bass without being overwhelming. Definitely a good choice for me but I'm looking at something that is a little different from how the ER4 and the price doesn't justify the small difference with the ER4S.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #8,197 of 8,377
  I'm stuck with a dilemma here and I'm not sure what to do. I love the roxanne, it sounds amazing to me. I've tried 10+ over different high end IEMs (Campfire, other JH, Westone, Shure, T8IE) and none of them really made me say wow like roxanne does. Its a little weird, my personal favourite IEM is the ER4S and I love the detailed sound of ER4 with the tiny bit of bass that comes along with it. I've always disliked warm/bassy IEMs because I've never liked how bass sounded on IEMs. Now, the Roxanne is the first and only IEM that clicked in terms of how the bass sounded, even when I crank the bass knob up to 3PM. The bass has the correct amount of punch and doesn't feel overly bloated, and the vocals and trebles continue to sound smooth while retaining clarity which many other IEM's that I've tried don't. The short story here is that Roxannes sounded great to my ears and I don't think I could find another earphones that sounded better.

Now heres the problem. I've got the universal roxanne 2 and the build is atrocious. In less than a month, I've RMAed it 3 times and every time the glue on the backplate falls out while the 3rd time included a cable problem on top of the backplate issue. As much as I like how it sounds, it simply doesn't make sense for me to continue to use such a shabbily built earpiece, worrying that the backplate will fall out of the newest set that I've got. I'm not entirely sure what I should do. Do the JH customs have build related problems as well?

I have no problem with my custom Roxanne.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #8,198 of 8,377

A couple of options:

1. Customs JH roxanne. I'm not sure if I can continue to trust the build quality of JH products with my bad experience, so I'm going to take the worse case scenario. Are there any big issues that people had with custom roxanne?

2. Any other earpiece recommendations. I've tried many IEMs, none of them sounded great like the roxannes, or too different from my ER4S to justify a purchase. My personal favourite setting for the roxannes is to have it at 10AM - 11AM bass knob. I've tried other products,
- JH Rosie sounded nice, but the bass sounded off. Anywhere higher than 0% bass is a straight turn off for me, but 0% rosie sounds decent.
- Angie 2 sounded bad to me, the sound feels like its muffled to me similar to westone's house sound.
- Layla sounded great, but I've found that it suffer from a similar "muffled" feeling as angie 2 (to a lesser extent). Also reminds me closely to my Er4 at 0% bass while turning up the bass doesn't sound good to me.
- Campfire Vega and Dorado - trebles feels too weak, but bass/mids sounded great.
- Campfire andromeda - I'm surprised at how harsh the trebles sounded. Not a comfortable sound to listen to for long, and the fitting is odd with the edges of the IEM.
- AK T8IE - Not a very big fan of U shaped EQ, although it sounded great on electronic music, rock sounds terrible with the vocals sounding weak.
- Westone W50/W60 - W50 sounded like trash to me. Its muffled, like the other westone IEMs. W60 seem to move away from the muffled sound (still has traces of it) but doesn't impress me anywhere else my ER4 don't already do. Bass is stronger than the ER4, but nowhere as solid as the Roxannes.
- DITA the brass - I tried this for a short period of time and my impression is that this is a very well balanced IEM, but the fitting and isolation feels really bad. Partly because of its weight perhaps, but I couldn't get a nice fit on this. This felt like ER4S with slightly more bass without being overwhelming. Definitely a good choice for me but I'm looking at something that is a little different from how the ER4 and the price doesn't justify the small difference with the ER4S.

Grab a used custom for reshell. Can be had for very good prices these days.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #8,199 of 8,377
  Do the JH customs have build related problems as well?

You're not the first (nor nearly the last) person to complain about the build quality of the Roxanne II's. I've heard dozens of these stories of the faceplates falling off due to poor gluing – here, on Amazon reviews, and on JH Audio's Facebook and Twitter pages. However, I've yet to have a problem with my custom 13v2's or custom Roxanne's I received back in September (knock on wood).

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #8,200 of 8,377

A couple of options:

The custom Roxanne should be fine. You could also consider grabbing a pair of used v1 roxannes as those go for very good prices these days.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #8,201 of 8,377
Have had my custom Roxanne for 4 months with no issues at all. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #8,202 of 8,377

"Performance Series" JH Audio Universals

Any first impression on the preview units of the latest 2017 "Performance Series" JH Audio Universals with smaller housings and better build quality but stunningly no spike in pricing?!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/826164/new-product-announcement-jerry-harvey-audio-performance-series-universal-fit-iems

Launched yesterday. Looks very very promising to those who aren't happy with the this year's Full Metal Series' build quality and housing size.

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #8,203 of 8,377
Have you also tried Nobel? There are many users who like K10U and Katana.

A couple of options:

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #8,204 of 8,377
The custom Roxanne should be fine. You could also consider grabbing a pair of used v1 roxannes as those go for very good prices these days.

Yeah i got the akr03 roxanne for $660

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #8,205 of 8,377

A couple of options:

Try Empire Ears too, they have great iems, and customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back