New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jun 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,983 of 8,377
  @ Oomingmak

How would you describe the mid and low? And do you have a Black dragon to compare to?

Thanks

I got a chance to test both the black dragon and silver dragon with my custom roxannes at my local dealer today and below are my impressions compared to my stock cable before the recent moon audio stock cable.

Tested using AK320 with Flac and DSD

Black Dragons - retails at SGD$338
- Greatly improved low ends and mids in terms of quality and quantity.
- Low end response seems a lot tighter. (tested a 24bit radioactive by imaginedragons at around 00:38 onwards, on stock cable the bass beats will distort whenever it gets too low while this issue is not present in black dragon. I can hear the low ends clearly w/o distortion)
- Bass had more impact on the low ends.
- Mids for some vocals from Adel will send shivers down ur spine. (if u get what i mean)

Silver Dragons - retails at SGD$568
- More transparent presentation.
- Bass is lesser than stock cable and black dragons.
- Sparky bright characteristic of silver cables.
- Slightly extended top ends, while mids and low ends remains tight n precise.
- Tested with the above mentioned song by imaginedragons, low ends distorts minimally compared to stock cable which feels muddy. 

note that both bass pods are set to max and i can't tweak them as they are both brand new in bag and i'm not allowed to tweak them.

It's pretty obvious on which cable i prefer from my impressions above but i have some reservations in getting any of them as i would like to hear from others whom have tried them.
Build quality is pretty standard, it's thinner than stock cables and i feel that it's more flexible as well.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #7,984 of 8,377
@ Oomingmak
Any more updates on listening impressions between Black and Silver Dragon with Roxanne?
I'm ready to buy the Silver but don't want to lose the weight of the bass.
Thanks.

If you try both cables, i'm sure u will notice that silver dragon got lesser bass...

Think my cable is about to give way soon and some parts of the internal wiring are exposed. Thinking of getting a replacement.

1) Silver Dragon - Expensive, no reviews, also seems like quite a lot of complaints regarding Moon Audio's durability.

2) Black Dragon - Moderately priced, mixed reviews some say slightly better mids and lows, some say too warm for the already dark roxanne.

3) JHA Stock cable - Cheapest option, some say worse than the old version stock cable.

4) Others - Beat Audio, DHC where no reviews can be found.

Which of these cables you guys reckon you'd get if your cable breaks one day?

1) no idea on durability but i do agree that silver dragon is expensive.

2) imo i dun think it;s slightly better, and those whom claim that it's too warm for roxanne, i wonder if they own roxanne themself or just trying to comment of it theoretically.

3) I ever heard from 1 of my local dealers that the new stock cables has noticeable improvements from the old ones, how much i can't comment as i have not try them before.

4) I just dun like their version of bass pods, and their cables seems bulky to me whole moon audio ones felt very usable for daily usage.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #7,986 of 8,377
Omg thanks for the feedback. I suppose you tested them at Jaben?

From your comments i guess black dragon has the best price to performance ratio gains among the cables.
yes, you are right. but best is you drop by to test them out yourself as sound is subjective to many.... most ppl will think silver cables will get the best sound but it would all depends on tuning of your piece and the sound which u are looking for....

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #7,987 of 8,377
For me the Roxanne 2 is on the bright side and can have occasional sibilance with bad recordings. So overall I prefer copper based cable to go with Roxanne, previously using the black dragon V2. Today at the local retailer got the opportunity to try a cable that I think is a great match with the Roxanne, its the Plussound X6 gold cladded silver cable for the sirens series. The highs with it is extended but never fatiguing, biggest change is in the mids, vocals sound more organic with better texture. Bass wise very well extended with tauter control overall. For bassheads the 8 wire one will provide more drama but I prefer the tight yet deep bass of the 6 wire one. Biggest downside is the price.... An arm an a leg for the sirens series....

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #7,988 of 8,377
If you try both cables, i'm sure u will notice that silver dragon got lesser bass...

1) no idea on durability but i do agree that silver dragon is expensive.

2) imo i dun think it;s slightly better, and those whom claim that it's too warm for roxanne, i wonder if they own roxanne themself or just trying to comment of it theoretically.

3) I ever heard from 1 of my local dealers that the new stock cables has noticeable improvements from the old ones, how much i can't comment as i have not try them before.

4) I just dun like their version of bass pods, and their cables seems bulky to me whole moon audio ones felt very usable for daily usage.

I have the new moon audio stock cable that I am using with my universal roxannes, I could try to go down to Jaben once day to do a comparison with the old stock cable using their demo. Interested in seeing if there is any difference.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #7,989 of 8,377
I have the new moon audio stock cable that I am using with my universal roxannes, I could try to go down to Jaben once day to do a comparison with the old stock cable using their demo. Interested in seeing if there is any difference.
the difference should be quite noticeable for old stock vs black/silverdragon but for new stock cable, I'm not so sure... will probably get myself a black dragon after my next pay credit...

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #7,991 of 8,377
the difference should be quite noticeable for old stock vs black/silverdragon but for new stock cable, I'm not so sure... will probably get myself a black dragon after my next pay credit...

if I'm not mistaken, the new stock cable and the black/silver dragon is physically identical. cant say much about the sound tho; haven't tried the black/silver dragon yet.

Pricing-wise, the new stock cable is around SGD180-200 IIRC.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #7,994 of 8,377
the logo on the y fork is different as well as the 3.5mm jack are also different too...

i see, my mistake then.

Are there anyone also wondering if JH will release a custom version of the Roxxane II with the 4th order cross over?

imho i think the 4th order crossover is just a marketing gimmick; in a brief audition between my universal Rox 1 with the moon audio stock cable and the Rox 2, i found them sonically identical. perhaps the sonic difference between the Rox 1 and Rox2 is due to the cable. again, it was very brief; i could be wrong and YMMV.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7,995 of 8,377
i see, my mistake then.
imho i think the 4th order crossover is just a marketing gimmick; in a brief audition between my universal Rox 1 with the moon audio stock cable and the Rox 2, i found them sonically identical. perhaps the sonic difference between the Rox 1 and Rox2 is due to the cable. again, it was very brief; i could be wrong and YMMV.

oooo... i can't be bothered to even try universals... share with us on your impressions on black and silver dragons once u get a chance to try them out at jaben...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back