New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jun 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #7,681 of 8,377
@KimChee Thanks for the pics! Anyway, apart from your initial impressions, have you noticed any further improvements to the sound after extended listening?

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #7,682 of 8,377
I've got about 150 hours on the cable now, and I plan to burn to 200, but I'm really glad I got this cable.  The treble definitely has more sparkle, extension, and presence.  The timbre sounds different too compared to the stock cable, more realistic and more treble energy imho (I prefer an energetic sparkly treble to a smooth laid back treble).  The mids sound about the same, still lush.  The bass, especially the low bass has increased significantly down low, and there is much more impact (I have the bass setting high).  The bass is much more punchy now, but still tight, with lots of headroom.  Sound stage is about the same, maybe a little more depth.  The thing I really like about the cable is that everything sounds more energetic.  It still has that big, full, thick sound, but it sounds more lively now.  There is also an increase in clarity.  My only complaint is that the cable could be more flexible.  It's not like the old solid core wire that Headphone Lounge used to make, but it's a bit "springy", which is more of a personal preference more than anything.  I have owned many of the top tier cables (Toxic Cables, DHC, Twag, etc), and to be honest I'm glad I went with the Beat Audio cable, I got the sound improvement I was looking for, and for a good price-$199 shipped, which helps because of the price of the Roxanne in the first place.  Hope this helps.    

Quote:
  @KimChee Thanks for the pics! Anyway, apart from your initial impressions, have you noticed any further improvements to the sound after extended listening?

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #7,683 of 8,377
^^ excellent news.
I'm looking for an after-market cable that can bring up a bit the treble of the Roxanne. The price is also quite reasonable, taking into account the cost of the ciem.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #7,686 of 8,377
JH Roxanne is actually my first pair of IEM and frankly, coming from full-sizes, I was not satisfied with its sound since day one. 
So I brought my Roxys and Paw Gold with me on a trip to Shanghai. Directly AB'ed my Roxys with other TOTL IEMs including

1964 V8/V6s, UE 18/11, Westone W60, K3003, IE800, SE535/846, Dita Truth, JH 13/16, ER4S/PT, etc,

I simply cannot find any of them better than Roxanne. Roxanne has huge advantage in soundstage, imaging and midrange over other TOTLs. Only Dita has a bass that is slightly better than Roxanne. Most of those that has better highs (which is my biggest complaint about the Roxanne) fall behind in all other aspects. 

I'm seriously looking for a better sound for a cost less than the Layla. Haven't had a chance to try the universals from UM, Okaraku and Noble, though. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #7,687 of 8,377
I own the Roxanne customs, and the only clear upgrade I find within my present or past collection are the SE5 ultimate. They are more neutral and more refined to my taste, and the treble is very extended but less fatiguing.

Some others may be considered better depending on taste, like the Tralucents or the NT6. But they sound completely different.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #7,688 of 8,377
@KimChee Thanks! Sounds like a great fit with the Roxanne. I love its sound, but I could always use a little more sparkle in the treble.

Btw, I think I have an idea of what you mean by springy cables. I have a FiiO RC-WT1 that is a bit stiff and springy, and not at all like the stock cables, where they are easier bent or rounded.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #7,691 of 8,377
I'm getting sparkle from my Note 4, RWAK100, and Leckerton UHA 6S Mkii

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #7,692 of 8,377
I'm getting sparkle, but I'd like a little bit more. Compared to my K10 and Mentor, the Roxanne's treble is smoother and has less sparkle. When I paired my Roxanne with a Vorzuge Duo, they sounded really good with the treble boost turned on.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #7,694 of 8,377
I'm getting sparkle, but I'd like a little bit more. Compared to my K10 and Mentor, the Roxanne's treble is smoother and has less sparkle. When I paired my Roxanne with a Vorzuge Duo, they sounded really good with the treble boost turned on.

Do you consider the mentor an upgrade from Roxanne? I would like a little more bass and treble, but not at the cost of sacrificing the great mids and soundstage Roxanne offers.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #7,695 of 8,377
I'm using it with my I asso DX90. I like a lot of sparkle and I find the Roxanne treble very detailed but laid back and I like a lot of extension. Think Audio Technica CK10, Tf10, and Etymotc ER4S treble, also JH16..

The lack of sparkle may be due to your source or amp rather than the Roxanne. I'm using the Roxanne with an iPhone 6 plus and there is plenty of sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back