New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Aug 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #6,661 of 8,377
3-4 hours with anything new is not large enough of a test period to make a judgment IMO - give yourself some time....

Not to say you will ever be blown away by them - but their charms might take a bit longer to grow on you....

EDIT: Also - sibilant is not a term I've heard when describing the Roxanne's sound - usually the other way on the pendulum - tame treble... seal may be an issue...

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #6,662 of 8,377
3-4 hours with anything new is not large enough of a test period to make a judgment IMO - give yourself some time....

Not to say you will ever be blown away by them - but their charms might take a bit longer to grow on you....

EDIT: Also - sibilant is not a term I've heard when describing the Roxanne's sound - usually the other way on the pendulum - tame treble... seal may be an issue...

You're probably right, I need to spend more time with them. Maybe I'll come back with different impressions after a week :)

Regarding the treble... I'm pretty sure I have a good seal (using RE-600 bi-flange tips), but I can hear some sibilance going on on some songs. Might try different tips and see how it goes, just ordered couple of comply foam tips.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6,670 of 8,377
  I do feel the rox tends to sound a bit better when playing with high volume, which I don't really prefer...

I wonder is it really "louder" in terms of the sound coming out from the drivers; or it's louder because we have to crank up the volume from the player.

Because I'm thinking maybe it's the 24 drivers in total require more power?

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #6,671 of 8,377
Maybe its just my ears but I can definitely pick up more sibilance with the Roxanne's compared to the RE-600 and ER4S. A good example is Muse's "Madness" (24/96). So far in terms of sibilance: Rox > ER4S > RE-600. Might sound like a silly question, but would burning in help this? I've ordered in some comply foam tips, I heard that the wax guard can help tame the brightness a bit. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #6,672 of 8,377
I've had the Uni Roxanne for 6 weeks now and have experienced the same sibilance issues. Its not on every song and the comply tips certainly help but it still shows up here and there. Burning them in definitely opened them up a lot but really didn't do much for the sibilance. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #6,673 of 8,377
I've had the Uni Roxanne for 6 weeks now and have experienced the same sibilance issues. Its not on every song and the comply tips certainly help but it still shows up here and there. Burning them in definitely opened them up a lot but really didn't do much for the sibilance. 

Thanks for sharing this. I was a bit surprised with the sibilance when I first demoed them at Jaben, I thought it was due to a bad fit but still got them in the end because they have such amazing soundstage and immersion. Will see if the comply foam helps. I also noticed the sibilance gets more prominent at higher volumes, so I just dial down the volume a little whenever it creeps in.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #6,674 of 8,377
I wonder is it really "louder" in terms of the sound coming out from the drivers; or it's louder because we have to crank up the volume from the player.

Because I'm thinking maybe it's the 24 drivers in total require more power?

I'm also of the opinion roxanne sounds better with louder volume. It's not a function of comparing the volume setting, but actual listening volume. Comparing to JH13fp I find roxanne dark/dull/closed at my usual listening level. It "open up" and sounded more engaging when I turn it up way pass my comfort level.

Personally my preference at my usual listening volume among JH's offering is JH13>JH10x3>JH16>Roxanne. I think the uni rox might not be entirely representative of the true quality of the Roxanne but with the high price/long wait, I ended up picking the 1964 Ears V8 for the warm/bassy/big sound sig I had been looking for in Roxanne.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #6,675 of 8,377
Rox Unis - first impressions - hope its not too long

i got my roxanne Uni's 2 -1/2 days ago - listened for a total of about 9 hours so far using the Line out on my X5 paired with the Meier stepdance amp.
I have read that some people have to burn in their ears or the IEMs to appreciate the roxannes. I am no golden ears but I found the class of the roxannes immediately apparent and very happy I didnt have to go through a period of doubt or anxiety that i may have wasted money.

First impressions or things i noticed - ( I own Shure 846's and Sennheiser IE800's) so can only compare to these

Soundstage - immediately notice a huge, wide soundstage - feels like your listening in a large hall. Spacious comes to mind

Separation - vocals seem projected out in front, very smooth, very detailed. I was actually taken by surprise with first jazz female vocal track - i could hear breathing, gasping as if she was inches away from my ear. On tracks with just a singer, bass, piano it seemed like the bassist was way over on  one side and the piano way over on the other with the singer in the middle. On another track it seemed like one instrument was coming from the top left and the other from the bottom right. I have never heard separation to this extent before and I own a good desktop setup with the HD800's. Once i got used to the separation of sounds it became a case of just sitting back listening and grinning from ear to ear.  I love that about the roxannes

Bass- first listen, i couldnt hear much and they sounded flat and lacking warmth so dialled up the bass to 12oclock - for me that was the sweet spot. Bass became full and clear without appearing over bassy on any tracks. Im guessing that 12 oclock being the middle position JH have tuned them to suit most tastes at that point so there is room to go up and down. For me its perfect and have not once felt the need to pick up the tiny screwdriver to adjust. Bass is better than the 846's and the IE800's and they are famous for bass. I can feel rumbling and vibration similar to over ear headphones. On famous bass tracks like Way down deep by Jennifer Warne and Angel by Massive attack the bass came out in bucket fulls when the notes went down and listening to bigbeat techno (Underworld - Pearls Girl ) there are about a dozen synthesized drums going beserk and it never sounded so good to my ears.

Treble - i found it completely clear, smooth and rolled off, never sibilant at all except on known sibilant vocal tracks and the level of sibilance was less than the 846's or IE800's. The rolling off on the treble however didnt affect detail retrieval. A favourite album I know inside out is Rocks the House by Etta James - a live recording. In that club you can hear the audience whistle and cheer and shout comments etc. With the roxannes I was able to actuallly hear more clearly what some of the words the audience were shouting. I could also with the 846's, but not to the same level of detail. Treble is great - no complaints - I like a warm sound sig so the rox's suit me.

Fit and comfort - i was warned by Dragoonv on here that they were big - there not big their massive - i feel like i got 2 x boulders in my ears, if freddy flintstone had IEMs they would be the Rocksannes (excuse the joke). With the large size foam tips they stuck out like dogs balls and were not secure so changed to the medium tips and that reduced the protrusion so that i didnt feel like 2 rocks were about to fall out of my ears. As i will be listening to these almost exclusively at home and occasionally when travelling it wont be an issue but for me these aren't the iems to go jogging in. Bigger ear'ed people may be ok ? Also i found the seal was not difficult to achieve, with other iems i knew if i wasnt getting a good seal by just applying presssure inwards or outwards on the IEM and the sound would change hugely. With the medium foam tips there wasnt that much change to bass/treble levels when applying pressure so i feel confident that I have a good seal and the isolation was very good and blocked out more external sound than the 846's which wedge perfectly into your ear. I cant hear my cellphone ringing right next to me which i could before.

Overall the roxies are a significant step up in SQ over the 846's and IE800's and I am big fans of both those . For the first time i feel that these are end game as far as IEM's go. I can now focus on reaching the top of the chain in my sources. I think that a hugo will be on the xmas list for starters.

Im still surprised to be so impressed so soon - i am hoping that they may sound even better over time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back