New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #5,956 of 8,377
Right, and one man's "shimmer" is another man's "sibilance."

Actually Roxanne is sibilant because of lacking of shimmer.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #5,958 of 8,377
FWIW, mine acrylic Roxannes arrived today, without any shipping notification. Ordered mid-March.

It will take some time until I'll be able to try them, as I'm in different location...

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #5,960 of 8,377
Sound signature-wise, Roxanne=jh13=jh16.

The minute you put on Roxanne you know you are listening to a jh product.

I don't know why you say they have the same sound signature. I have not heard of JH13 but Roxanne and JH16 is not the same. The variable bass on Roxanne is enough to change the signature. JH16 is most likely a U shape singnature. As for Roxanne you can make it mid-centric with the bass turned all the way down.

I think most of the confusion/discrepancies with impressions so far is because of a mix of Universal and Customs impressions. I'm pretty sure majority of the impressions were on Universals or demo version with a tip. The tip in itself is a huge influence in changing the SQ. It's almost impossible to get a consistent SQ with a universal.

I feel like if we run a survey, those who like the Roxanne are mostly using a custom version and those who didn't like it most like use a universal/demo version.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5,961 of 8,377
Actually Roxanne is sibilant because of lacking of shimmer.

Not sure I follow this reasoning... but by how I personally hear sibilance, this is one of the least sibilant hi-fi devices I've ever heard.  I can push these to what must be dangerous levels and listen for hours w/ nary a wince.  I get the lack of shimmer comment though.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #5,962 of 8,377
And JH yet again proving their complete absence of respect for their clients / control over the process: they have delayed yet again for the millionth time. I do not know about SQ yet, but I can tell you something, Roxannes are REALLY BAD FOR YOUR STRESS LEVELS.

Here is my reaction:

Me:

Dear Angie,

I have asked repeatedly for an update on my order (now 7 months in) and have had no answer. Could you please let me know what is going on?

Regards,

Michael

Angie (answering after my third try, and after she committed a month before to ship at the end of May)

Your order has just finished the carbon fiber shell process and is now in the lab getting the components added and the finishing touches. It should only be a few more weeks.

Thanks,
Angie

Me (not in a good mood)

What !??? Are you kidding me !!??? IT SHOULD A FEW MORE WEEKS !??? You said end of May, and now at least end of June (if you actually deliver, and apparently you have no idea what is going on). So it will have been at least 7  months, and you are still delaying.

Now that really does it. I will tell you my honest opinion, and I am trying hard to be polite:

1. You have committed to something you had NO IDEA how to deliver in a reasonable delay, but yet you still took my 1.5K$ without a thought
  2. All ensuing communications on the matter have been DISASTROUS:
    1. Email answered once every three email
    2. Many clumsy copy + paste used to answer emails
    3. No clear communication on what is going on, no grasp of the situation
    4. Complete lack of honesty on the delays

I own / have owned close to 10 high end CIEMS / iems and as many high end DAPs, and this Roxanne business is BY FAR MY WORST CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE in the audiophile world.

Bar that, I manage a company of 50 people, and this is one of the worst interactions I have ever had in terms of transparency / honestly / process, including with clients / suppliers / employees !

The strict minimum in terms of RESPECT FOR YOU CUSTOMERS would have been to communicate clearly on the situation, both on the blogs (headfi mostly) and directly by email.

I hope I will FINALLY GET WHAT I PAID FOR SOON.

Michael

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #5,966 of 8,377
Has anyone got their hands on the new AKR-03 and compared it directly to the default one? I heard it has more prominent bass and bringing the "fullness" feeling. Just want to know what your guys' thoughts before i decided to hop on board

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #5,967 of 8,377
Wow, I wanted to get the Roxannes, but I'll dial in for the new Westone ES60 I guess when time comes.

Anyone has some impressions about this new IEM?

BTW here's a review of it on CNet:

http://www.cnet.com/news/westone-goes-for-the-gold-with-its-new-es60-in-ear-headphones/

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #5,968 of 8,377

I don't know why you say they have the same sound signature. I have not heard of JH13 but Roxanne and JH16 is not the same. The variable bass on Roxanne is enough to change the signature. JH16 is most likely a U shape singnature. As for Roxanne you can make it mid-centric with the bass turned all the way down.

I think most of the confusion/discrepancies with impressions so far is because of a mix of Universal and Customs impressions. I'm pretty sure majority of the impressions were on Universals or demo version with a tip. The tip in itself is a huge influence in changing the SQ. It's almost impossible to get a consistent SQ with a universal.

I feel like if we run a survey, those who like the Roxanne are mostly using a custom version and those who didn't like it most like use a universal/demo version.

Actually I have heard of universal version of Roxanne, it's almost impossible to fit into my ears, too big. I have purchased 4 JH products before. one JH16, one JH13 FP, one JH16 FP one roxanne, and 3 of them are still with me. I am not really here to argue. But they all do have the same house sound (which is termed as sound signature too me). "pretty fast bass with great quality, recessed upper mid, more presence of lower treble and rolled off upper treble." This is the house sound of JH product, every single of them do have this to some extent. I totally agree that roxanne sounds "relatively" more mid centric, fuller and warmer, and JH16 has even more recessed upper mid, even more lifted upper treble, which gives you that U shape sound signature you were referring to. But to my ears, there is no way they sound like two completely different product like: LCD 2 vs T1, because they still share the overall frequency response similarities. I also describe U shape for a CIEM that has a lifted >11k Hz, which is not the case for JH16. But again this will depends on what you actually comparing. When compared with ear sonics EM32 (with a lifted >13k Hz), none of the JH products is U shaped at all. I am really not trying to create any war here because I can see where this is going if I keep post "opposite" impressions. I am just being honest that's all. Please enjoy your roxanne, JH13, or JH16. 

Not sure I follow this reasoning... but by how I personally hear sibilance, this is one of the least sibilant hi-fi devices I've ever heard.  I can push these to what must be dangerous levels and listen for hours w/ nary a wince.  I get the lack of shimmer comment though.

That was just relatively speaking. Roxanne has good clarity because of a lifted between 5k-10k, and this region is where the sibilance happens the most. For example, if roxanne had more upper treble and upper mid presence, the overall spectrum will be more balanced and the output volume will be much higher. As a result, you will have to turn down the volume you listening to hear the same amount of information in the music, which will provide less 6k-10k presence. This is what I mean by how a more shimmer sound ( >12k Hz) can actually lead to a less sibilant presentation. 

But all this is depending on what volume you are listening to. If you are listening to medium-low volume, very few CIEMs can actually sound sibilant, but if I use medium-high volume for roxanne (with only 10% bass), I do hear sibilance on certain songs.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,969 of 8,377
  And JH yet again proving their complete absence of respect for their clients / control over the process: they have delayed yet again for the millionth time. I do not know about SQ yet, but I can tell you something, Roxannes are REALLY BAD FOR YOUR STRESS LEVELS.

Here is my reaction:

Me:

Dear Angie,

I have asked repeatedly for an update on my order (now 7 months in) and have had no answer. Could you please let me know what is going on?

Regards,

Michael

Angie (answering after my third try, and after she committed a month before to ship at the end of May)

Your order has just finished the carbon fiber shell process and is now in the lab getting the components added and the finishing touches. It should only be a few more weeks.

Thanks,
Angie

Me (not in a good mood)

What !??? Are you kidding me !!??? IT SHOULD A FEW MORE WEEKS !??? You said end of May, and now at least end of June (if you actually deliver, and apparently you have no idea what is going on). So it will have been at least 7  months, and you are still delaying.

Now that really does it. I will tell you my honest opinion, and I am trying hard to be polite:

1. You have committed to something you had NO IDEA how to deliver in a reasonable delay, but yet you still took my 1.5K$ without a thought
  2. All ensuing communications on the matter have been DISASTROUS:
    1. Email answered once every three email
    2. Many clumsy copy + paste used to answer emails
    3. No clear communication on what is going on, no grasp of the situation
    4. Complete lack of honesty on the delays

I own / have owned close to 10 high end CIEMS / iems and as many high end DAPs, and this Roxanne business is BY FAR MY WORST CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE in the audiophile world.

Bar that, I manage a company of 50 people, and this is one of the worst interactions I have ever had in terms of transparency / honestly / process, including with clients / suppliers / employees !

The strict minimum in terms of RESPECT FOR YOU CUSTOMERS would have been to communicate clearly on the situation, both on the blogs (headfi mostly) and directly by email.

I hope I will FINALLY GET WHAT I PAID FOR SOON.

Michael

Poor Michael....This is indeed annoying..a few more weeks...I assume that's gonna be 9 months in totally? 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back