New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,941 of 8,377
B
Buy the right size heat shrink tubing beforehand. I'm going the for a semi permanent solution instead of worrying 24/7 if these collars are going to crack. I'm not exactly delicate with my IEMs (I'm not rough either), but they get thrown into my pockets, bag, luggage, whatever. I'll be surprised if those collars last more than 1 week.
but shrink tube will not protect it from crack, no? I can measure it tomorrow, don't have the caliper right now. Maybe you should get a iem case.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2,942 of 8,377
B
but shrink tube will not protect it from crack, no? I can measure it tomorrow, don't have the caliper right now. Maybe you should get a iem case.

I wouldn't put it on top of the collar, I will break the collar (or wait until it cracks of it's own volition) and then just use shrink tubing to hold the two together. Any 2:1 shrink tubing should do the job. Thanks for the case suggestion, but honestly its too much hassle for commuting and such. 

One of the biggest advantages of CIEMs is that they are way sturdier (IME) than universals, so it seems as if we're going backwards with the Roxanne in that regard, I don't want to have paranoia about the collar. Even though I tend to buy a new cable every couple of years simply because of wear, I don't want to have to worry about it during it's lifetime.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,943 of 8,377
Ic, perhaps different setup. Perhaps not enough burn in, I find the sound stage is small instead. I like the detail, found lot of bad recording.

If you like the wide soundstage like that of the Sony EX-1000 or 1plus2, you will find Roxanne's soundstage small no matter what DAP/DAC you use.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,944 of 8,377
I've had my Roxannes for a little more than three weeks.  I ordered clear acrylic ones at the RMAF in October and they were delivered just after Xmas.  I had the molds made at the show by JH Audio's staff.

I'm more of a newbie, so I can't provide any lengthy technical review, but can only give some initial impressions.  The fit is fine without problem and very comfortable.  I only unscrewed the cables once and have not had any problems with the connectors yet but have had limited time to try the IEMs so they have not had a great deal of wear yet.

My main problem is that when I use them with my older iPod (2nd generation) or a 4 year old MacBook Pro, there is quite a bit of hiss or noise without even playing any music.  It is drowned out somewhat when I play music, but it is noticeable enough that it would not be practical to use these with either source.  If I plug them into my desktop computer  headphone output, there is no hiss and the sound is fine.  I have also tried them with my iPhone 5 and with my wife's more recent iPod touch and the sound is terrific with both of these sources and there is no baseline background noise or hiss.  

I haven't used them enough and am not expert enough to be able to comment on soundstage, etc. but I find the sound very enjoyable when used with the iPhone or newer iPod - clear, and able to distinguish poorer recordings for sure. Isolation from outside sound is quite good.   I haven't played with the adjustment for the bass yet.  It should also be pointed out that there are no instructions provided with the unit.  

This is my first experience with CIEMs and they are certainly comfortable and not fatiguing as headphones can sometimes be.  The cord is somewhat short and I would need the source quite close to me.  I'll probably purchase an extension so I can use them at my desk played through an external DAC.  I have previously been using older Etymotic Research IEMS (earlier version of the ER-4)  and I prefer the new Roxannes although unfortunately I can't use them with my older iPod :frowning2:

I have not had a chance to try them with the MacBook Air yet and don't know if that will cause the same type of hiss.  Hopefully it won't, as that will likely be my next laptop and I was hoping to use these with  a laptop.  Of course, using a USB type DAC with the laptop might alleviate the problem but unfortunately I have no way of knowing that up front.

I did contact JH Audio about the hiss, and they responded that the Roxannes had so much top extension that it was revealing the noise at the source.

Has anyone who has received the Roxannes had any similar experience with background hiss and is that to be expected with laptops for ex.?  Does it resolve with an external DAC/Amp?  If anyone has any other suggestions for use with the laptop or older iPod  that would be appreciated.

That's about all the info I can provide at this time.  So far I am very pleased with the sound but hope that I can find a solution so that I can use them with more sources as I don't plan on buying an A&K.   Potential users may want to consider what sources they plan on using the Roxannes with.  For those who have ordered and are waiting, I can understand your frustration but I think you will enjoy the sound once you ultimately receive them.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,946 of 8,377
I hear a hiss with my 2011 MacBook Pro, but no hiss with the CEntrance HiFi M8 (with IEM mod).

Quote:
The hiss is coming from the source.
The AlgoRhythm Duet has a lot of comments revolving around its silent background for IEMs, perhaps do some research into it.

I've ordered a Duet for my CLAS. I will report how the background sounds with the Roxanne out of of iPhone 5 and iPhone 5/CLAS.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,947 of 8,377
I've ordered a Duet for my CLAS. I will report how the background sounds with the Roxanne out of of iPhone 5 and iPhone 5/CLAS.

Hiss with just running on battery or power cord?

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,948 of 8,377
Just got word from Corbyn.

No new information on the hold up, but she was very customer-friendly and ongoing with the whole situation.
I did change my cable from black to the clear cable to go with the CF shells. Think that it will look awesome:)

They received my impressions on the 5th of december so I think I am still in for a long wait:)

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,952 of 8,377
Does anyone know what IEM has the best soundstage and imaging?

That can rival the HD800?
Of course sound quality is also obviously a given.

1plus2.

Edit: Greed was first
happy_face1.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #2,954 of 8,377
Ok here is where I will tell the truth and others will complain and say I am wrong .

First off no CIEM or IEM in anyway. Will. Produce a sound stage any thing like a head phone and much less the astounding HD800.
Now what to expect regardless of all the reviews boosting of this image of sound stage beyond you head. It just does not exist.
You can hear placement. You can hear what is close and what is farther away. You will hear a singer as if she or he is right inside your head. ,
But the illusion that most boast is just that an illusion. Now who am I. And what do I own to make this claim.

Well I am 57 years old have over 200 k in speakers , headphones and IEM,S. I have some of the best amps and sound reproducing devices made.
And the honest truth is there is a kind of sound stage but anything that is in your ear canal cannot allow your ears to actually produce a real sound stage .
Now if you own the HD800. They are tops at what they do and there is no headphone that I have ever heard that can through a sound stage like them.
Of course that comes with a price . That hot upper mid to lower treble is why it produces this great image.
Now hear is another statement this is the order of how image is produced.
Speakers , headphones, IEM,S. .
As for clarity and over all sound signature well I will let the others who will bash me explain that. Enjoy the idea of headphones and IEM,S they are really good at what they do.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back