New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2,311 of 8,377

Funnily enough, I've been using a V-MODA VAMP with the Roxannes with good results. I'm not sure if custom IEMs were ever an intended pairing, but it is very satisfactory.

Been watching your Portable High-end Headphone Amp Guide..i think you should do more video reviews when you are reviewing headphones/in ear monitors..you get straight to the point and don't mince your words !

Thanks. I'll see if I can't do a quick Roxanne video this weekend actually.  
beerchug.gif

I need to order the aftermarket cable very soon...this stock cable seems very poor job whoever made this cable...

The aftermarket cables will use the same connectors, as they will be provided by JH Audio. I imagine whomever manufacturers them is responsible for the issue, but, Jerry did tell me I don't need to do them up tight, in case that is any way related to the problem. It'd be interesting to know if people had them break when putting them on or removing them.

strongly agree...therefore we should order aftermarket cable is strongly advise. 

Since it uses a new 4 pin system and also needs a way to adjust the level of Bass ... It might be while before we can purchase aftermarket cables.  The good news is, it works fine without the locking nut. Even if the new one breaks: I believe the heat-shrink would hold it in place (I have been using it without the locking nut).

Tomorrow I will have the new cable on my hands, maybe it was just a bad batch of locking nuts :)  

On my dream cable, the Bass adjustment would not require a screw driver, I would have a single adjustment for both drivers (left and right) and the locking nut would be some sort of light metal / (aluminum?).  

I asked Jerry about this and he said it would result in a much bigger device attached to the cable, which would probably be inconvenient. Those pots are tiny. I don't know of any equally tiny that are that small and have knobs. Maybe you could trim a fingernail to fit? 

Here's a close-up of the locking nut. Notice the mould line in the middle which is where they seem to be breaking.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,312 of 8,377

Here's a close-up of the locking nut. Notice the mould line in the middle which is where they seem to be breaking.

Oh, so they're breaking in a horizontal, rather than 'vertical', fashion, then.

Well, in that case, I take back my suggestion of heatshrinking them.

Thankyou for clarifying the situation!

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #2,313 of 8,377
I would save your money and enjoy your Roxanne as is. It's not that they do not make a difference , I think they do as I own a couple of silver cables. But given the limitations of IEM,S sound reproductions have , it's just not easily heard. And I know some one here will bash me me for saying it. It's just that reproducing sound is in three levels
Speakers on top, headphones in the middle and last is IEM,S weather custom or not. As I have all of them. IEM,S lack an overall dynamics in attack and ambience as well. They all do. As such they do not portray all that needs to be heard to hear the subtle changes in cables. And I know there are people here claiming to hear every change , I cannot say they are wrong either . It's just that I have some fairly expensive equipment and hi end speakers. And as much as I like my IEM,S and my headphones . Speakers just gives you so much more overall sound , in ways the other two cannot.

Al. D

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #2,314 of 8,377
Thanks for the info currowong. What other amps have you tried the Roxanne with ? Your impression is one we all can use as a good base on impressions..

Al

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #2,315 of 8,377
Does anyone have experience with the DHC Cables? What about the differences? Peter mentioned that he will be offering the cable with Peptide Hybrid (OCC SPC litz), Peptide Fusion (pure OCC silver + pure OCC copper litzes in each strand of wire) and Silver Peptide (pure OCC silver litz) wires. Is there one that stands out of the rest? Or is this user preference as well?

I have the DHC for the 3A connector. I bought it for its durability. Peter's work is top notch and IMO of higher quality than some of the usual suspects people tend to throw around.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2,317 of 8,377
You guys are reporting all of the connector failures and showing pictures to JHA, right? The more info they have for assessing the problem, the better. This looks like a launch design issue that they would definitely want to address, and it seems likely they may need to modify the mould tool to make the part more robust.

Looking at the photos, I think what's happening is the act of screwing the connector on is putting too much axial stress on the nut, and in combination with the thin wall section (partly caused by having to thin the section even further with an internal thread), it's just giving way at the weld line which is a natural weakness from the tool design. Low temperature shrinkage during transit could also be contributing, if there are many people who are receiving them broken out of the box. There could be some underlying material problem in the mould process, but this looks more like a design issue to me. Increasing the diameter and/or changing the material would be reasonable solutions, I'd guess. If it's a failure that's occurring in transit they might consider purposely loosening or detaching the connectors before shipping.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #2,318 of 8,377

Oh, so they're breaking in a horizontal, rather than 'vertical', fashion, then.

Well, in that case, I take back my suggestion of heatshrinking them.

Thankyou for clarifying the situation!

I think the shrink will still help. Especially the cheaper stiff types. On the cables I remade for my 13s. I epoxied over the actual connections and then added silicone before using sot shrink over the ear connector.  If I wanted to strengthen this, I might try a bit of wet epoxy under a stiff shrink and clean up the excess after shrinking. 

The issue is probably due to them trying to keep things small and light. Perhaps their samples were better than what was delivered. Though crowd here. They will either spec a stronger plastic, increase the thickness or change the supplier and replace cables for customers. It's not like you absolutely can't use it without the locking. It's unfortunate but I'm sure it will get sorted.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,320 of 8,377
No I do not spell well. And the truth is I went back and looked at the correct spelling of name to get it right to.
Lol. I really did try. Why have misspelled yours or are you just counting.
Oh well please do not take offense.
Al. D

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,321 of 8,377
No I do not spell well. And the truth is I went back and looked at the correct spelling of name to get it right to.
Lol. I really did try. Why have misspelled yours or are you just counting.
Oh well please do not take offense.
Al. D
Not offended at all, it is just that I noticed it only on names, so I thought it was something of a new trend among the young people :wink:

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,322 of 8,377
  I think the shrink will still help. Especially the cheaper stiff types. On the cables I remade for my 13s. I epoxied over the actual connections and then added silicone before using sot shrink over the ear connector.  If I wanted to strengthen this, I might try a bit of wet epoxy under a stiff shrink and clean up the excess after shrinking. 

Good thinking.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,324 of 8,377
No,it's my lower functioning brain. And the names on here just make no sense to me either . Not goofing either it's just there's no Harry or Joey. It's phrases I've never heard of.

So what i do is just cut it short to make it better for me. But I can see now that you pointed it out , it could be taken as being rude. It's funny when I talk it's totally different then when I write. It's just much harder for me to write..

Al. D

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,325 of 8,377
No,it's my lower functioning brain. And the names on here just make no sense to me either . Not goofing either it's just there's no Harry or Joey. It's phrases I've never heard of.

So what i do is just cut it short to make it better for me. But I can see now that you pointed it out , it could be taken as being rude. It's funny when I talk it's totally different then when I write. It's just much harder for me to write..

Al. D
Well we will have to meet for beer one of these days :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back