New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Feb 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,766 of 8,377
I ordered it on Black Friday. Acrylic.

They told me they will ship my Roxanne early next week after I told them I don't need the CF case. 
Finally the wait will be over.

Congrats, Man. You'll love them. I sent mine back for refit today. Going back to 846

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #3,767 of 8,377
Mavwong. Get an amp even if with the headphone out on the iPhone or whatever. . You are recalling missing out on the details. See if someone can let use there's just to try and you will be hooked.

Al

When I had my Westone ES5s paired with the pico slim I could not hear too much of a difference. Customs, portable amps, etc were a first for me, but believe me, in time you'll hear how much a difference a good amp can make. I could never use my phone to listen to music, unless my portable rig is out of battery and I've no way to charge it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,768 of 8,377
I occasionally use my iPhone 4 as source (music files all 256kbps AAC) and I have no problem enjoying it. Certainly not as good as any decent DAP (x5/120/901 etc..) but the SQ is just fine on-the-go.

I wouldn't strap an amp to my phone either, not worth the hassle for such slight improvement (if at all)

Do you do iTunes Match for the 256kbps files?

I really have NO interest in adding an amp, but am seriously considering a DAP. Still trying to learn about converting my music into better files.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3,769 of 8,377
The add on amp has nothing to do with volume. IRS has all to do with SQ. . Loud can be terrible if not with quality. .

Al

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3,770 of 8,377

I really have NO interest in adding an amp, but am seriously considering a DAP. Still trying to learn about converting my music into better files.

Thanks for the help.

I don't use iTunes Match since most of my music collection is already in FLAC. I down-convert them to AAC for portable use.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #3,771 of 8,377

Thanks for the help.

I am also looking at the Calyx M and Fiio X5. If the M will indeed be offered with a discount soon, the difference in price won't be that big!

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #3,773 of 8,377
well 600$ at the lowest vs. 350$ is significant. Below 700$ I think I would give Calyx a try.

Hmm there is a difference yes... But still, the price difference is not too much comparing their technical specs.
I think that the Calyx is more TOTL and competing against AK than the X5 does... But as stated... $350 sounds like a bargain!

Should the X5 be fine standalone? Or do you still need to add an amp? :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3,774 of 8,377
Hmm there is a difference yes... But still, the price difference is not too much comparing their technical specs.
I think that the Calyx is more TOTL and competing against AK than the X5 does... But as stated... $350 sounds like a bargain!

Should the X5 be fine standalone? Or do you still need to add an amp? :)
I think the X5 is excellent as standalone. Anyways I only use iems. And I prefer to ak100 and even 120, but I did not much care for the ak sig.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,775 of 8,377
I think the X5 is excellent as standalone. Anyways I only use iems. And I prefer to ak100 and even 120, but I did not much care for the ak sig.

Hmm the X5 is very very tempting!!! I think I'll just wait to see what the discount of the Calyx will be and then decide...
I will mainly use the DAP with the Roxy's... :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,776 of 8,377
I just got hold of my Roxanne. I was delivered last Monday but I was out of town. I am still suffering the effects of a jet lag and I need to crank up the volume a bit higher than usual to get to a good listen level.

I'll take Roxanne for the usual burn in before any serious comparison. My initial impression so far is the sound overall has much more weight than JH16. Cranking up the bass all the way to maximum is too much. Far more than the bass I remember from the demo I tried before. So far I like the bass settings from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

For now here are the pics.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3,777 of 8,377
  I just got hold of my Roxanne. I was delivered last Monday but I was out of town. I am still suffering the effects of a jet lag and I need to crank up the volume a bit higher than usual to get to a good listen level.

I'll take Roxanne for the usual burn in before any serious comparison. My initial impression so far is the sound overall has much more weight than JH16. Cranking up the bass all the way to maximum is too much. Far more than the bass I remember from the demo I tried before. So far I like the bass settings from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

For now here are the pics.

Congratulations!

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,780 of 8,377
^ enjoy your new toy
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back