New iRiver AK70
Jan 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #916 of 1,293
  By the way, I have sent my AK70 to Ryuzoh (twitter handle: @ryuzoh_dx0xb) to modify. This mod actually sounds different under any load I threw at it, which isn't the case with most mods. Brighter with deeper bass. I should get my AK70 back early February. I'll report on it there. I don't expect measurements on amateur suites like RMAA to be 'better' across the board, but I do expect a few to be significant. 

Have you tried the VE Zen 2.0 with the AK70? Can it drive the Zen 2.0 well without needing external amplification?

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #917 of 1,293
Hmmm.. call me unbeliever.. that's new for me.

Can share the link to that research?

I don't think anyone has done any formal research into this. But you can read about the experiment Alex from AK did in the following links. They didn't post numbers but did say that there were measurable differences.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1123526094352525&id=100000854347138
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1123665371005264&id=100000854347138
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1127328263972308&id=100000854347138

I don't think much emphasis is placed on the transports in head-fi but most of my friend into hi-fi seem to place a much higher importance on the transports.

I do have personal experiences regarding different transports sounding different in a few different setups. First one was using optical connection from different transports into my Fostex HP-A4 and now the Mojo too.

I'd still like to quote one thing Alex wrote which I felt was pretty meaningful and relevant to me: "As an audiophile ourselves, it is happiness for us to test and experience such difference and evaluate it and that's why I suggest it is worth trying."

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #918 of 1,293
I don't think anyone has done any formal research into this. But you can read about the experiment Alex from AK did in the following links. They didn't post numbers but did say that there were measurable differences.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1123526094352525&id=100000854347138
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1123665371005264&id=100000854347138
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1127328263972308&id=100000854347138

I don't think much emphasis is placed on the transports in head-fi but most of my friend into hi-fi seem to place a much higher importance on the transports.

I do have personal experiences regarding different transports sounding different in a few different setups. First one was using optical connection from different transports into my Fostex HP-A4 and now the Mojo too.

I'd still like to quote one thing Alex wrote which I felt was pretty meaningful and relevant to me: "As an audiophile ourselves, it is happiness for us to test and experience such difference and evaluate it and that's why I suggest it is worth trying."

ok, but a measurable difference doesn't necessarily mean an audible difference. For example, I can (and have) conduct a null test to compare a 192/24 file to a 48/24 file and measure that there is indeed a loss in detail. However, that "loss" is nowhere within or near our audible spectrum, and so will make absolutely zero difference in audio quality.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they said "oh yeah, yeah big difference in sound, wow, so nice", simply because they knew it could mean that people would buy 2 of their players. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #919 of 1,293
ok, but a measurable difference doesn't necessarily mean an audible difference. For example, I can (and have) conduct a null test to compare a 192/24 file to a 48/24 file and measure that there is indeed a loss in detail. However, that "loss" is nowhere within or near our audible spectrum, and so will make absolutely zero difference in audio quality.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they said "oh yeah, yeah big difference in sound, wow, so nice", simply because they knew it could mean that people would buy 2 of their players. 

That's true. What you wrote does make sense.

There are many debatable things in this hobby. For me personally, I wouldn't say that there is a difference between A and B unless I have tested it and have heard differences in multiple setups. But I would still take my own conclusions with a pinch of salt as I realised it could be setup dependent. (For example, I can easily hear a difference between JRMC and Foobar on a friend's setup but not on mine)

Transports is one of the things which I can say does affect the sound. Maybe not for every setup but definitely yes for the Mojo and my HP-A4.

One thing I believe is that over time in this hobby, our ears get better at picking out differences. Back then, I tested USB cables and could not find any differences between them so I didn't care about USB cables at all. But now I do care as I'm able to detect differences in USB cables for my setup.

One more thing I realised is that the differences become much easier to pick up when your gear becomes better. For example, the differences between USB cables are not that obvious when I power my HP-A4 from my laptop USB port but becomes very obvious when I run it off a linear power supply.

Anyways, I feel that spending time to sit down, test and evaluate all these is part of the fun in this hobby.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #920 of 1,293
I'm getting tempted to get one of these. I've also been looking at the Pioneer/Onkyo DAPs, but prefer the smaller form and simplicity of the AK. The only concern I have is the Bluetooth issues mentioned as I would want to use it along with wired. Does this issue still exist now that the firmware has been updated?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #921 of 1,293

This I agree with. However, it should be noted, that measurable differences point to protocols that aren't equal across all sources. Obviously, my iMac's USB is shyte. It is possible that its optical output, too, may introduce problems, though I've not tested that, nor is it likely that I will. Since I listen to an averaged volume from 78dB - 85dB, discussing drops from USB output SNR etc. to 105dB from 115dB is academic. There is no way in hell I'd hear the difference, and if I did, not for long. That level of volume is too high for me, and actually painful. So, I doubt the measurements speak to discernible differences, they are real. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #922 of 1,293

Well that certainly interesting.

It's true that few factors play in digital data transport. Such as media speed, encoding speed, and datalink reliability. So, yes, hardware matters.

However, there is error correcting procedure in data transport layer to ensure that transferred information remains identical and correct. For you computer geeks, think CRC or checksum. Or loosely speaking, perhaps like credit card CVV. So the DAC essentially converts same 'information'.

Having said those, in this case, other factors may affect. Say, processing power, or EMI/electric interference.

Two AK70s working hand in hand means encoding and amping done by 2 different processors, processing load must be lower for both devices. What I'm confident to say is, AK70 has higher compatibilty as an AK70 transport :D.

One thing is certain. It's indeed interesting :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #923 of 1,293
I have one more question if anyone can help. Is it able to connect to wifi where browser verification is needed like in a hotel room?

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #924 of 1,293
  Japan gets all the good stuff!! Mirage White, True Blue and Twilight Rose limited editions now on Amazon.jp.

The white one is gorgeous 
eek.gif

Very nice indeed. Ship them to europe :)

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #925 of 1,293
New member here.
I purchased an AK70 new in Taichung Taiwan (living here as an expat for a few years, from Portland OR). The sound is great, but sadly the EQ is less than worthless, when activated in non pro mode the volume drops by probably 30%, have others experienced this issue... and yes it does have the latest software.
Thanks in advance!

Toby 

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #926 of 1,293
After spending a while trying this out in Richer Sounds York using both my ACS T1 iems and Sony MDR1000x, I decided to take the plunge. Everything sounded great and the bluetooth had no issues with the Sonys. I got a good price as well £469. Since then I've been listening quite a bit and am really happy. I was worried about the bluetooth, but no problems at all. One thing to be aware however, is that you can't use wifi if browser authentication is required - this applies to most public networks. Fortunately I have found a way around that as my phone (Samsung S7) allows wifi sharing so I can log in with that and then tether. I think a travel router would do the same.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #927 of 1,293
After spending a while trying this out in Richer Sounds York using both my ACS T1 iems and Sony MDR1000x, I decided to take the plunge. Everything sounded great and the bluetooth had no issues with the Sonys. I got a good price as well £469. Since then I've been listening quite a bit and am really happy. I was worried about the bluetooth, but no problems at all. One thing to be aware however, is that you can't use wifi if browser authentication is required - this applies to most public networks. Fortunately I have found a way around that as my phone (Samsung S7) allows wifi sharing so I can log in with that and then tether. I think a travel router would do the same.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Erm, isn't the tether only for sharing a mobile data connection over WiFi to other devices?

EDIT: never mind, just tested it out, tethering works for a WiFi connection too. Sweeeet

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #928 of 1,293
I thought the same until I tried it. I think wifi sharing only works in the latest phones however. You can get a travel router quite cheaply that will do the same I think.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #930 of 1,293

Anyone interested in the purple or magenta case?

I'm probably going to order my AK70 from Japan and they're giving me a choice of the emerald, magenta or purple case, but I'm most probably going to go for the black one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back