New iRiver AK70
Aug 10, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #436 of 1,293
If my memory does not fail me, I remember the AK300 being "flatter" (not in terms of soundstage, but in presentation and emotion), being more cold, and less dynamic and musical. I want to compare their technicalities, but honestly the sheer musicality of the AK70 makes it a clear winner over the 300 in my opinion (and I'm afraid my brief demo of the AK300 may cause my technical impressions to be inaccurate).
That's good to know!
Based on what I've read, I had the impression that ak300 was more musical, lush and analog kind of sound compared to ak70. Ak70 shares the same dac has the 100II with is kind of analytical for my taste...
How did you find the screen quality of the ak70? I heard is not the same technology and quality of the other models. Is it true?

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #437 of 1,293
That's good to know!
Based on what I've read, I had the impression that ak300 was more musical, lush and analog kind of sound compared to ak70. Ak70 shares the same dac has the 100II with is kind of analytical for my taste...
How did you find the screen quality of the ak70? I heard is not the same technology and quality of the other models. Is it true?

If anything, the AK300 and AK100II sound WAY more similar than the 300 and the 70. In fact, I sold my AK100II to get the 70.

I never compared the screens of my 100II and my 70 directly, but from what I remember of the 100II, the 70's screen is more vibrant and more crisp.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #438 of 1,293
If anything, the AK300 and AK100II sound WAY more similar than the 300 and the 70. In fact, I sold my AK100II to get the 70.

I never compared the screens of my 100II and my 70 directly, but from what I remember of the 100II, the 70's screen is more vibrant and more crisp.
So, to you ears, ak70 is more musical and vibrant than the ak300, right?

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #439 of 1,293
So, to you ears, ak70 is more musical and vibrant than the ak300, right?

Yes, to my ears, the AK70 is more musical, fun, and lush than the AK100II (and the AK300). The screen is more vibrant than that of the 100II. In terms of colors, they seem to "pop" more.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #440 of 1,293
I think I'll wait to the end of the month to decide which balanced Dap I'm going to pick up, as it seems I have a bit of overtime in my future.  If I get as much as I'm expecting, I'll be getting my first A&K, if not, I think I'll give the Hifiman Supermini a try and hope the hiss isn't as bad as the HM700, or maybe keep an eye on the used forums.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #443 of 1,293
Hello!
Upgraded to AK70 from Cowon J3.
Thought about AK Jr for a long time. But didn't see much difference between Cowon's JetEffects and Jr. Now I see that Ak 70 really big upgrade. Sound's quality awesome for me.
I don't get battery drain, but I had really annoying little gap on the back glass, it don't fit perfectly to steel body. Somebody have the same problem?
Also little annoying for me warming during playing FLAC files.

For guys who gonna buy this device could recommend check it using something like service menu.
You should go to device menu:

"Settings" -> "System Information" and  tap on "Model number" 5 times (where you see "AK70").

After this you'll see service menu where you can check base functions like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, check different colors of display (test for dead pixels), common and balanced output and something else (I don't understand korean language).

My AK70's language is in Korean so I don't know which menu is in Korean or not, but here are the translations which may help you out.

설정 : Setting
오디오 : Audio
터치 : Touch
스트라디움 : Stradeum (it's a place in Korea for musicians or music lovers, operated by iRiver, I think.)
번들 설치 : Bundle Installation
공장 초기화 : Factory Reset
설정 초기화 : Setting Reset
번들 제외 : Excluding Bundles
뒤로 : Back

Hope this helps.

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #444 of 1,293
Hello!
Upgraded to AK70 from Cowon J3.
Thought about AK Jr for a long time. But didn't see much difference between Cowon's JetEffects and Jr. Now I see that Ak 70 really big upgrade. Sound's quality awesome for me.
I don't get battery drain, but I had really annoying little gap on the back glass, it don't fit perfectly to steel body. Somebody have the same problem?
Also little annoying for me warming during playing FLAC files.

For guys who gonna buy this device could recommend check it using something like service menu.
You should go to device menu:

"Settings" -> "System Information" and  tap on "Model number" 5 times (where you see "AK70").

After this you'll see service menu where you can check base functions like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, check different colors of display (test for dead pixels), common and balanced output and something else (I don't understand korean language).

My AK70's language is in Korean so I don't know which menu is in Korean or not, but here are the translations which may help you out.

설정 : Setting
오디오 : Audio
터치 : Touch
스트라디움 : Stradeum (it's a place in Korea for musicians or music lovers, operated by iRiver, I think.)
번들 설치 : Bundle Installation
공장 초기화 : Factory Reset
설정 초기화 : Setting Reset
번들 제외 : Excluding Bundles
뒤로 : Back

Hope this helps.

Thank you a lot! Everything you translated in this menu in Korean.

Sorry but what is "bundle installation"?
Is it something like apps?

And I'm asking one last time. Everyone has perfect solid device? Without debonding of back glass just a 0.5mm?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #445 of 1,293
Thank you a lot! Everything you translated in this menu in Korean.

Sorry but what is "bundle installation"?
Is it something like apps?

And I'm asking one last time. Everyone has perfect solid device? Without debonding of back glass just a 0.5mm?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I believe so. Probably the extra softwares that come pre-installed. Mine is perfect, but I heard that the back glass is just attached with a double sided tape, and often it comes disattached at corners..

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #450 of 1,293
Awesome, good to hear. That's probably my biggest requirement for DAPs these days. How does it handle high impedance cans?

Works fine with e.g. The Beyerdynamic DT1770: 120 is about the level I would use, 130 is loud to me, 140 much too loud and I would not listen at 145+ for more than a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back