New iRiver AK70
Jul 31, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #406 of 1,293
I think the AK70 is good with nice design and great display. But its not worth the money at its price range. You can get a opus#1 for $600 and it comes with a dignis case. Or you can get a onkyo dp-x1 for $650. Both of them beat the ak70 easily.

The irony being in the uk at least the onkyo is £699 (gotta love the $>£ thing) the opus £450 (but no case) and the ak70 is £500!

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #411 of 1,293
My AK70 had stuck/dead pixels, 3 in total. I got it used, and the seller never mentioned about the problem.

Anyway, I took it to iRiver's main service center in Korea, and they exchanged it for a new one.

There is an exchange policy for dead pixels that if the number of dead pixels is less than 3 in total, iRiver will just change the display at your expenses...if more than 3, then iRiver will cover the cost and change the display.

Regardless, I got a totally new one even though mine was used! Very happy with the service!

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #413 of 1,293
Give us some time :wink:

I have been using the i5 and the 380 more than the AK70 for the last week. AK70 is warmish with bigger than neutral bass body and a smooth delivery.
It's dead silent like the L3 and while it is clean and detailed (not like the 380 of course) it has a darker feel to it

It's a DAP where musicality is most important en the enjoyment factor s high with this one

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #415 of 1,293
This might be a dumb question, but even though the USB out doesn't work with the CDM and AK70, could you still use a 2.5mm to 2.5mm cable for a balanced line out of the AK70 to the CDM? This would bypass the CDM DAC, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #416 of 1,293
  This might be a dumb question, but even though the USB out doesn't work with the CDM and AK70, could you still use a 2.5mm to 2.5mm cable for a balanced line out of the AK70 to the CDM? This would bypass the CDM DAC, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. 

Yes of course that works

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #417 of 1,293
I got a replacement AK70 for having stuck/white permanent pixels.

I opened the replaced device last night and to my despair, it also has white pixels -- 4 in total.

What's the chance of getting two devices with the same problem? So I'm suspecting that this may be a more common issue.

---

You can check for the problem by turning off the device, start charging it.
If you push the power button, the screen will display a white battery image on a gray background.
Check for any signs of white pixels in the gray background.

---

These cells are permanent..so even after I turn it on and display album art, etc., the white pixels are still there although not as noticeable.
I don't know whether I should go to the A/S center again...I mean iRiver exchanged the previous one(3 dead pixels) for a new one,
and the replaced one is even worse...

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #418 of 1,293
  Give us some time :wink:

I have been using the i5 and the 380 more than the AK70 for the last week. AK70 is warmish with bigger than neutral bass body and a smooth delivery.
It's dead silent like the L3 and while it is clean and detailed (not like the 380 of course) it has a darker feel to it

It's a DAP where musicality is most important en the enjoyment factor s high with this one

That's fantastic and reassuring, I only had the chance to briefly audition it locally and decided I wanted to buy it based off of looks/feel/interface alone (plus knowing A&K's reputation I felt it was a safe bet) - I'm a big fan of warmer/darker signatures, my favourite headphones are LCD-2s/HD650/NightHawks so go figure. Glad to hear the AK70 has those characteristics and musicality is its forte over crazy detail and over-analysis.

popcorn.gif
 subbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back