New iRiver AK70
Jul 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #257 of 1,293
Something wrong can't even manual adjust the EQ ..
frown.gif

The AK300 has EQ issues as well (adjusting the Q values doesn't work). I have contacted iRiver support and received no response.

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #260 of 1,293
there is not way for me to test the bits, it does indicate that the signal are bit perfect but my HUGO lights up does not check for bits but sampling. 

The noises are sporadic in nature, this is normally indicates that part of the data is not sent and hence why sound stutters. EMI and RFI arent that obvious when using AK70 internal files. I did place my mobile on my unit and rang it and I did not sense any RFI but I did sense it when I was streaming music from my NAS, 

Hi can I check with you, your set has EQ manual setting an issue, no working at all.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #266 of 1,293
An update on AK70 as a lineout: I have been spending some time with the fussy KSE1500. I like to give credit where credit is due and AK70 lineout is one of those things. It is clean and it has more than adequate amount of detail that keeps the KSE1500 happy. Considering the neutral nature of KSE1500 I can say AK70 as a dap and source has slightly north of neutral with a well extended treble. It perhaps does not have that much of lower extension compared to its upper frequencies or maybe its lower extension aren't as pronounced.

Using it as a USB source to KSE1500 worked but switching to its analog line out I notice the improvement immediately. What was Shure thinking with the internal DAC of KSE1500, honestly?!

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #267 of 1,293
  An update on AK70 as a lineout: I have been spending some time with the fussy KSE1500. I like to give credit where credit is due and AK70 lineout is one of those things. It is clean and it has more than adequate amount of detail that keeps the KSE1500 happy. Considering the neutral nature of KSE1500 I can say AK70 as a dap and source has slightly north of neutral with a well extended treble. It perhaps does not have that much of lower extension compared to its upper frequencies or maybe its lower extension aren't as pronounced.

Using it as a USB source to KSE1500 worked but switching to its analog line out I notice the improvement immediately. What was Shure thinking with the internal DAC of KSE1500, honestly?!

Have to agree that it's a very clean source; just tried it today with my Chord Hugo, and I am very pleased with the pairing. I also note the lack of lower extension ):
One niggle though: with some 24/96 FLAC files the player would skip and stutter throughout the song. Unsure about why this is so, when it plays just fine when used standalone.
Every other file type seems to play smoothly though!

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #268 of 1,293

Have to agree that it's a very clean source; just tried it today with my Chord Hugo, and I am very pleased with the pairing. I also note the lack of lower extension ):
One niggle though: with some 24/96 FLAC files the player would skip and stutter throughout the song. Unsure about why this is so, when it plays just fine when used standalone.
Every other file type seems to play smoothly though!

There are some stability issues but mostly I am sure they will fix it. I fix such issue by using a lower compression setting for that flac files.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #269 of 1,293

I shared the same view with you, audioewbi.  My setup was to use AK70 line out to Hornet.  The sound is clean but I must also say that the mid is more tight and solid.  Note that the unit has been running-in for > 50hrs and I expect it will become more mature after 100 hours.

That being said, I am waiting for Burson Studio conductor Air to pair with it.  Be honest, I have pretty high expectation with this combination! 

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #270 of 1,293
I gave the balance out of AK70 more listening and I can say with confidence that is considerably better than the single ended out put. AK70 single out is just average to border line poor.

It appears that perhaps when it came to AK70 more focus was put into maximising performance from balance out than line out.

Looking forward to @shigzeo measurement to shine some light on this theory of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back