New iRiver AK70
Jul 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #241 of 1,293
  The USB out of AK70 is far too noisy to be honest and early impression is not good when paired with HUGO. Despite the early false report of AK, which has been corrected now, AK70 lacks optical out so guys bare that in mind AK70 only offers USB out.
Testing the USB out of AK70 with DP-X1 ignoring the stability issue the sound to my ears is a lot less dynamic. DP-X1 offers a far more detail and dynamic both from headphone out and USB Out.

Is the USB output of AK70 bitperfect, or does it up/down sample everything to 24 bit/192kHz ?
`far too noisy` what do you mean, please, RFI/EMI or anything else?
Thanks.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #242 of 1,293
  yes and yes. However why use folder view when you can navigate using cover art? This is why I bought the AK70. I like cover art browsing. 

Mainly because until recently I had the card stored as artist/album/song and tags were not correct.  After redoing the library its still not perfect but much better than it was.  Plus I have a lot of single file audiobooks that I have had to batch convert from the m4b format (apples own audiobook format) to mp3 to play in other players.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #243 of 1,293

Is the USB output of AK70 bitperfect, or does it up/down sample everything to 24 bit/192kHz ?
`far too noisy` what do you mean, please, RFI/EMI or anything else?
Thanks.

there is not way for me to test the bits, it does indicate that the signal are bit perfect but my HUGO lights up does not check for bits but sampling. 

The noises are sporadic in nature, this is normally indicates that part of the data is not sent and hence why sound stutters. EMI and RFI arent that obvious when using AK70 internal files. I did place my mobile on my unit and rang it and I did not sense any RFI but I did sense it when I was streaming music from my NAS, 

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #244 of 1,293
  there is not way for me to test the bits, it does indicate that the signal are bit perfect but my HUGO lights up does not check for bits but sampling. 

The noises are sporadic in nature, this is normally indicates that part of the data is not sent and hence why sound stutters. EMI and RFI arent that obvious when using AK70 internal files. I did place my mobile on my unit and rang it and I did not sense any RFI but I did sense it when I was streaming music from my NAS, 

Clearer thanks. Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #245 of 1,293
Just throwing in my 2 cents but I actually got a more stable output and connection from my AK70 to Mojo than with my DP-X1 (for some reason my DP-X1 always has a hard time detecting and interfacing with the Mojo - this is using the EXACT same cable that I've tried with multiple devices, so it can't be the fault of a bad cable), but keep in mine that I don't stream so I turn everything that emits EMF off on my DAPs when I'm listening.  But so far I've encountered no noise on my AK70/Mojo stack going into my K812. So you may have to factor in your own usage when buying.  

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #247 of 1,293
Might be an over exaggeration but I have my portable dap. This hobby is about compromise and I am willing to accept it.

UI to me is flawless so far. It would be great to have a SenseMe type app.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #248 of 1,293
Might be an over exaggeration but I have my portable dap. This hobby is about compromise and I am willing to accept it.

UI to me is flawless so far. It would be great to have a SenseMe type app.

Yeah I can't believe that this DAP can directly edit imported playlists while all my previous DAPs can't and you must create a duplicate first (ZX1, DP-X1, Valoq).

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #249 of 1,293

Yeah I can't believe that this DAP can directly edit imported playlists while all my previous DAPs can't and you must create a duplicate first (ZX1, DP-X1, Valoq).

It is quite absurd, that so few DAPs allow direct editing of playlists, isn't it? Sony, in particular, have no excuse, considering the ancient iPod Classic could do it...

I believe D&A's Calyx-M can do it, and possibly the Questyle QP1R, but they definitely seem to be in a minority.

It's a feature I used to use very frequently on my old iPod Classic, so I'm glad there are still a few DAPs around that can do it.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #250 of 1,293

It is quite absurd, that so few DAPs allow direct editing of playlists, isn't it? Sony, in particular, have no excuse, considering the ancient iPod Classic could do it...

I believe D&A's Calyx-M can do it, and possibly the Questyle QP1R, but they definitely seem to be in a minority.

It's a feature I used to use very frequently on my old iPod Classic, so I'm glad there are still a few DAPs around that can do it.

As Apple has complete control over iPods and iTunes I had always assumed that including such functions is easier for Apple and causes less confusion for the user (because the changes would be easily synchronised between the iPod and iTunes), and yes as you said it's surprising Sony can't do it as they have the same sort of horizontal hardware/software integration that Apple does.  

It does remind me how sometimes I do prefer iPod UI over other DAPs. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #252 of 1,293
Can anyone confirm if the AK70 can stream songs with correct tags from Plex or/and Asset UPNP?

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #253 of 1,293
Never surprised the EQ just so so only, if used the original setting on EQ Pro was louder than manual setting that is very funny, but seem thier EQ Pro just a auto adjustment to suit my IEM ...

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #254 of 1,293

I agree it seems insane that they can't. It's probably just a small use case? or perhaps the imported playlist on the Sony is a different format than the type that it creates directly on the player? When I first saw your post, before the one you quoted, I was going to say, my ZX1 allows that, I've never had a DAP that doesn't, but I don't import playlists, so I guess that's why. I've always built them on the player, other than workout playlists, but I just make those in Play Music All Access, so they sync. 

Crazy that they don't allow editing of an imported playlist, but I'm sure it has to do with format of the playlist file. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back