New iRiver AK70
Jul 15, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #271 of 1,293
I gave the balance out of AK70 more listening and I can say with confidence that is considerably better than the single ended out put. AK70 single out is just average to border line poor.

It appears that perhaps when it came to AK70 more focus was put into maximising performance from balance out than line out.

Looking forward to @shigzeo measurement to shine some light on this theory of mine.

How would you compare it with Calyx M, DP-X1, Fiio X5?

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #273 of 1,293
  How would you compare it with Calyx M, DP-X1, Fiio X5?

Calyx M: Warmer and more dynamic. 
DP-X1: More detailed and USB connection is more stable than AK70. Feels more dynamic and more powerful
AK70: Balanced out sounds more neutral than both. For its size has enough of everything to keep me engaged. More portable than all those two, best UI than both both.

Sorry I do not own X5 and it has been long since I tried one.

For anyone who wants to get the AK70 bare in mine its best performance comes using 2.5mm balanced out, so you must be willing to spend the extra money on such setup else single out isn't that much better than your iphone out.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #274 of 1,293
  Calyx M: Warmer and more dynamic. 
DP-X1: More detailed and USB connection is more stable than AK70. Feels more dynamic and more powerful
AK70: Balanced out sounds more neutral than both. For its size has enough of everything to keep me engaged. More portable than all those two, best UI than both both.

Sorry I do not own X5 and it has been long since I tried one.

For anyone who wants to get the AK70 bare in mine its best performance comes using 2.5mm balanced out, so you must be willing to spend the extra money on such setup else single out isn't that much better than your iphone out.

So, AK70 is for balanced out... its single out is not better than iphone out...

DP-X1 vs Calyx M please?

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #280 of 1,293
Just picked mine up. Great portable sound.

Quote:
  Can anyone confirm if the AK70 can stream songs with correct tags from Plex or/and Asset UPNP?

It can stream songs from both, tested it this afternoon. It does not seem to do gapless playback with Asset UPnP (that say JRiver can achieve with Asset)and being an album listener I would call this a flaw that should be fixed. When you say with correct tags what do you mean?

Also this is my first A&K device, when the manual says max 128GB MicroSD card does this mean larger cards (200GB or 256GB) do work but are not supported or larger cards don't work?

Nick

edited - gapless playback info

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #281 of 1,293

It can stream songs from both, tested it this afternoon. It does not seem to do gapless playback with Asset UPnP (that say JRiver can achieve with Asset)and being an album listener I would call this a flaw that should be fixed. When you say with correct tags what do you mean?

Also this is my first A&K device, when the manual says max 128GB MicroSD card does this mean larger cards (200GB or 256GB) do work but are not supported or larger cards don't work?

Nick

edited - gapless playback info

Going from 64 GB to 128 GB microSD I notice that loading becomes laggy. So we can use large microSD card but operating the device can becoming laggy.

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #282 of 1,293
Hola!

My new AK70 is here.
I'm using a sandisk 200gb formatted Fat32 (MSDOS Fat). Works very smooth, slighty better than AK100II.

Very very happy.

Maybe the color is not perfect, i love black or stainless.

Less power than AK100II, but smaller and lighter.

Wonderful screen.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #283 of 1,293
  Going from 64 GB to 128 GB microSD I notice that loading becomes laggy. So we can use large microSD card but operating the device can becoming laggy.

Hola!

My new AK70 is here.
I'm using a sandisk 200gb formatted Fat32 (MSDOS Fat). Works very smooth, slighty better than AK100II.

Very very happy.

Maybe the color is not perfect, i love black or stainless.

Less power than AK100II, but smaller and lighter.

Wonderful screen.

Interesting.  Wonder if the class or type of sd card is coming into play here?  I assume that you are both using cover view?

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #285 of 1,293
My ak70 came in today. I haven't had that much time to test the USB out since my mojo died right as I was opening the box, but I am surprised at the sound quality from the ingle ended out. It is better than I expected.

This thing is also much lighter than I thought. Personally, I prefer the Opus 1 for around the same price, but that does not have the USB out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back