New iRiver AK70
Dec 7, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #841 of 1,293
For anyone looking to pair another enormous stack above the player, which relegates the primary purpose of convenience and portability; I recommend recabling to balanced and used the Balanced out. Huge gains in performance. I never feel the need to reach for my PHA-3 (or Mojo, in many people's cases). 

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #842 of 1,293
  Your confusion is not unwarranted, as it makes no sense whatsoever to buy an expensive DAP, to only then end up using it purely as a transport 

I think it is warranted if you use it as both a transport and stand alone DAP based on your location, IEM or headphone being used, and personal preference. I use the AK70 frequently as a stand alone player when flying for work. I hate putting heavy DAPs in suit pants, and the AK70 is perfect. At home, I love the combo of the dignis case and mojo. Still very portable and pretty much unlimited music selection with tidal. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #843 of 1,293
I came so close to buying an ak70 today... It sounded awesome with my Shures SE846 and the price was very good. Just don't know if it will be more convenient to have another device to carry around or the phone+HA2 setup I have now. But damn, it sounded sweet. Punchy and sweet. Not hyper detailed but would be a nice sound for on the go.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #845 of 1,293
AK70 balanced 2.5mm output is working great. dead silent even with efficient Iem's. Worth to benefit from this advantage. Think balanced Cable.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #846 of 1,293
I briefly auditioned the Ak70 along with DP-X1 today in Stereo. Ak70 is very sweet and engaging, has a rounder and warmer tone as compared to the Onkyo, which sounded lifeless in comparison. The onkyos are okay...but is softer and seem to lack qualities that catches my attention. The Ak70s complement perfectly with my Ath-CK100pro which is bright and analytical, added more weight to the sound and smoothens the treble without sacrificing any details.
It really made the ck100pros unempowering bass shine; pretty solid impact and extension. However the lack of EQ options really make me want to consider the Cowon P1 over it.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #847 of 1,293
I got my AK70 today - it's a thing of beauty. I also have the Dignis case for stacking my mojo.

Trouble is, I'm getting really bad wifi performance. Where my iPad and android devices show 75%+ strength, the AK70 barely connects and drops frequently.

I'm using two apple airports in wireless bridge mode with one extending the others network.

If I had to guess, the ak70 is trying to connect to the furthest away airport for some reason.

Anyone else has this issue?

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #848 of 1,293

No problem with my AK70 working fine though (one) wifi Apple airport .
I suggest you try to reinitialize your AK70 factory setting then re-enter your wifi password.  

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #849 of 1,293
I got my AK70 today - it's a thing of beauty. I also have the Dignis case for stacking my mojo.

Trouble is, I'm getting really bad wifi performance. Where my iPad and android devices show 75%+ strength, the AK70 barely connects and drops frequently.

I'm using two apple airports in wireless bridge mode with one extending the others network.

If I had to guess, the ak70 is trying to connect to the furthest away airport for some reason.

I need to test more, but it could be the stacking of my Mojo with the AK70 in the DIGNIS Avec case that's the problem. Could close proximity of the Mojo weaken wifi?

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #850 of 1,293
I need to test more, but it could be the stacking of my Mojo with the AK70 in the DIGNIS Avec case that's the problem. Could close proximity of the Mojo weaken wifi?

I really want to love this AK70. I really want to love all my daps. But the laziness of designers and developers when it comes to software with these units, really frosts my nuggets.

I set the fully charged unit down on my desk today with Tidal paused. 7 hours later the unit was dead - no battery. Why is decent power management so hard to achieve?

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #851 of 1,293

Same here. I received my AK70 yesterday; I'm in two minds as to whether I'll keep it. The top floor of the house (we're on three floors), where I'll use it most has no issues with any other device including Sky Q mini box, ipad etc. In fact, they all pick up full wifi reception. Not the AK70 though, it will hover at one & occasionally drop out. I'm reluctant to get a booster for the sole purpose of this device. I was also disappointed to see the battery drain over night in 'standby'/screen off mode.

It does sound great though!!

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #852 of 1,293
Hi, I'm very interessted by the little AK70.

Anyone compared AK70 to the Cayin i5? I still read a lot of complains about battery life. Has this been fixed after updates?

I own a Mojo (Conected via USB to my GS7) paired with my Meze 99 Classics. Should I expect a real downgrade in terms of SQ?

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #853 of 1,293
  Hi, I'm very interessted by the little AK70.

Anyone compared AK70 to the Cayin i5? I still read a lot of complains about battery life. Has this been fixed after updates?

I own a Mojo (Conected via USB to my GS7) paired with my Meze 99 Classics. Should I expect a real downgrade in terms of SQ?

I don't own the AK70 but the AK300/320 is definitely a downgrade in SQ compared to the Mojo. 

However, the Mojo + phone is way too big and is no good for claustrophobic people like me. That is more like a stationary office rig lol. Noticeable downgrade in SQ but not that dramatic and during portable use walking around and taking the transit, you will hardly notice the difference (at least for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back